MoonSaddle Cycling Seat Reviews

MoonSaddle Cycling Seat

ratings (1 Epinions review)

Crescent Moon Saddle for my Tushy!

Aug 1, 2010

Pros:Unique design helps relieve groin pain

Cons:the seat is a bit harder than it should be

The Bottom Line: Unique hornless design aids with groin comfort and saddle soreness.  Solid 4.25 stars

(sing it with me) I'm being followed by a Moon Saddle.. wait, if only Cat Stevens could have ridden on one of these saddles and sung his song for this product's TV commercial.  It would have been a magical ad campaign.

For years, my Gary Fisher mountain bike has been hanging upside down in my garage.  Why, you ask?  Well, each and every time I would start a ride (on the trails or pavement) I'd get really uncomfortable in the groin area.  So my bike stayed hanging in the garage like some piece of dusty art sculpture, while I was not benefiting from the workout my bike used to give me.  I tried various forms of seats - all with a horn and a spring suspension to some degree or another.  I even tried a friend's beach cruiser-type of wide springy saddle.  None brought me any kind of relief from the pain in my... well, "entertainment center."

Recently, I really had the desire to start riding again, so I began a quest for comfort.  In my quest to find the best seat for me and my "issue," I narrowed down my choices to three "hornless" saddles... The Spiderflex, the Spongy Wonder and this MoonSaddle.

First up, The Spongy Wonder ($72.52 - $120.81) is made in Canada, looks comfy but was eliminated from my options because the weight limit is 225 pounds one one of their saddles and 180 pounds on the other three.  I tip the scales at over their 225 limit.  The SWs, however, come with a spare set of pads and they offer optional seat covers.

The second contender was the Spiderflex saddle $109.99:  Similar to the Spongy Wonder, the Spiderflex incorporates a tough all-weather polyurethane dual seat pad design.  But unlike the Spongy Wonder, it has small openings in each pad that seems to cradle my "sit bones" and since there's nothing that comes in contact with my "special bits", there's absolutely no pressure or discomfort. And unlike the Spongy Wonder, the Spiderflex incorporates a small shock absorber (that travels 5/8" or 16mm) at the rear of the saddle. It's really lightweight (680 grams /24 ounces) so most road bikers won't be put out.

The third contestant was the Moon Saddle.  I had read all of their customer's reviews and decided to buy.  I sent them my $69 (now $85) plus shipping and I was quite pleased with it.  Back when I purchased the Moon Saddle, there were no returns unless there was a defect.  Now, they offer a 60-day money-back policy.  I kept mine because I was going to give one of the seats (the Spiderflex or the Moon Saddle) to my brother.

While it was a really tough decision between the two bike seats, I finally decided on the Spiderflex because of its separate two-cushion design.  The Moon Saddle incorporates a crescent moon shape and a tough yet pliable exterior with a groove in the back to alleviate any tailbone issues.  While there is nothing to come in contact with my "special parts" I found myself trying to continually push my tush back to stay on the seat.  Perhaps I didn't adjust it properly.  I noticed that the second generation Moon Saddle now has a newly-designed seat post connection at a better angle for fewer adjustments.

The proper mounting is to have the points facing the rear of the bike, BUT you can reverse it if it works better for you.  It was designed to face the rear of the bike though.

What I Like:
I love the hornless design and because of it, my groin area no longer got sore or numb.

What I Don't Like:
The seat is actually a bit harder on my tush than anticipated.  While there is a groove cut out of the saddle for my mid-area, I still feel a bit uncomfortable after a long ride.  Perhaps it's because I'm a big guy, but this is the principle reason I chose the Spiderflex as my primary seat.  Bottom line is that with the Spiderflex saddle, I sat ON the seat whereas with the Moon Saddle, I sat on the edge and had to push back on it.  With the points facing forward, the forward most parts of the seat were kind of pointless, since they came in contact with the back of my thighs.

Bottom line is that this saddle might work better with different bodies and weights, so don't discount this saddle based on my review.  Try it, you might like it better than the alternatives.

Specs:
Material: self-skinning elastomer with UV inhibitors
Rails: high tensile stainless steel
Dimensions: 11" tip to tip, 4-3/4" wide and 3-3/4" high
Weight: 11.3 ounces (315 gm)
Warranty: 1 year

Final Words:
I give this bike seat a 4.25 stars because its rigidity and that it's not quite as comfy as the Spiderflex saddle.  I would assume it would be better for a lighter person and I would also venture a guess that it would be great for an exercise bike.  I'm sure the second generation of this design is a bit better as well.  As for a road bike application, it would probably work better for a person who suffers from saddle soreness or a groin issue.  It may be too heavy for some serious (younger) road bike cyclists though.

Happy Cycling

Cycling Sports Bicycle Comfort Pad Cushion Comfortable Cover For Saddle Seat

Cycling Sports Bicycle Comfort Pad Cushion Comfortable Cover For Saddle Seat

Comfort Cycling Bike Bicycle 3D Pad Seat Saddle Cover Soft Cushion Comfort Cycling Bike Bicycle 3D Pad Seat Saddle Cover Soft Cushion Description Comf...

Sunny Indoor Cycling Bike w Adjustable Seat & Handlebars

Workout in the comfort of your own home with the Sunny Magnetic Indoor Cycling Bike. This Sunny Health and Fitness Bike comes with both an adjustable ...

Comfort Cycling Sports Bike Bicycle Seat Saddle Cover Soft Cushion Pad Protector

Cycling PVC Print Canvas Wearproof 28L Large Capacity Fashion Outdoors Bike Back Seat Bag

Activity:Cycling; Gender:Unisex; Occasion:Leisure Sports,Outdoor; Material:Waterproof Material; Color:As Picture; Function:Wearable,Shockproof,Shock R...
LightInTheBox

Black Cycling Bike Bicycle 3D Silicone Soft Saddle Cushion Seat Pad Cover

Black Cycling Bike Bicycle 3D Silicone Soft Saddle Cushion Seat Pad Cover

Brand new & high quality It is made with a gel cushion to absorb shock and soften your ride Anti-slipping lining with adjustable drawstring Size: abou...
EachBuyer

Cycling Bike 3d Comfort Anti-slipping Pad Seat Saddle Cover Soft Cushion

Cycling Bike 3d Comfort Anti-slipping Pad Seat Saddle Cover Soft Cushion

Comfort Cycling Bike Bicycle 3D Pad Seat Saddle Cover Soft Cushion New Cycling Bike 3D Comfort Anti-slipping Pad Seat Saddle Cover Soft Cushion Descri...

Blue Fashion Cycling Bicycle Bike Saddle Outdoor Pouch Seat Bag Top Quality
Cycling 600D Polyester Wearproof Shockproof Fashion Bicycle Shelf Bag Bike Back Seat Bag

Activity:Cycling; Gender:Unisex; Occasion:Leisure Sports,Outdoor; Material:600D Polyester; Color:Blue,Black; Function:Shockproof,Skidproof,Moisturepro...
LightInTheBox

Cycling Seat Bag Bicycle Saddle Rear Pack Bike Quick Release Pouch Waterproof

Cycling Seat Bag Bicycle Saddle Rear Pack Bike Quick Release Pouch Waterproof

Green Shop Cycling Seat Bag Bicycle Saddle Rear EVA Pack Bike Quick Release Pouch Waterproof Description: Size: L13.7cm * H6.6cm * W9.2cm (height excl...