Motorola MR355R Two Way Radio Reviews

Motorola MR355R Two Way Radio

Free Shipping Adorama

A consumer Grade GMRS Radio with Repeater Capability

Dec 21, 2009

Pros:Good sound quality, easy to operate, price versus features, good.

Cons:Low receive volume, annoying call tones, poor vibrating page, alarm not worth it

The Bottom Line: Decent radios.  Power outputs have been reduced from earlier models.  They do work well.  Get rid of the odd call tones and alarm, and I'd rate it higher.

Motorola MR355R Review
FCC ID: K7GMRCEE
Power output:
FRS: .380 Watt
GMRS: 1.32 Watts (Note: This is a drop in power from last years models)
A GMRS license is required for use on all GMRS Frequencies. Shared FRS/GMRS frequencies can be used
without a license on low power only.
Features and functions:
FRS and GMRS operation
Vibrating Call Function
CTCSS and DCS operation
Weather radio with alert function
VOX operation
QT technology
Emergency Alert
Dual power with USB charging capability
LED flashlight
Scan function with lockouts
Repeater Operation
Key lock to prevent accidental setting changes
USA-only approval.
Introduction:
--------------------------------
This 2009 model has most of the functions of previous years models. As no surprise
performance was very similar. This review, however is geared to the new user
who has no experience with the Motorola series.
The newest, most exciting feature is repeater operation! To my knowlege, this is the first
consumer-grade radio to have this capability. A repeater is a special base station that
simultaneously receives and retransmits a signal from a mobile or portable station to
give additional range. This is accomplished by the use of frequency pairs, rather than a single
frequency. Radios must have the capability to use these pairs. This model does.
NOTE: Many GMRS repeaters are "closed" This means they are private to the owners or require
memberships. You must be prepared to provide your GMRS call sign (assigned with your license)
and any other information requested by the owner. Fees may be required.

Operational Description:
-------------------------------------
All operation is controlled via the "Menu" button, with the exception of the flashlight and emergency
alarm. Press the menu button the required number of times to select functions.
I will address unique features of this radio only. The manuals provide more detail.
This radio has both CTCSS and DCS selective squelch. CTCSS covers codes 1-38, DCS on 39-121.
These codes can be used both in normal and repeater operation. These are commonly known as interference elimination codes
The QT system is a proprietary system that is similar to CTCSS/DCS, except it allows "extra" codes to help
eliminate interference from non-Motorola radios. These can only be used with Mororolas with this
feature.
Repeater operation: Enabling repeater operation from the main menu gives you access to 8 additional
channels 15R through 22R. These correspond to the 8 FCC allocated repeater pairs. When manually
scrolling through channels, you will see the normal 22 channels, plus the added repeater channels, indicated
by the "R" icon.
The emergency alarm is activiated via the red button on top. Press and hold until the alarm sounds.
This alarm is audible through the speaker and also activates the transmitter. Since the radio transmits,
it is unwise to use this unless you pre-arrange with others that this is an emergency alarm. Please
consult the manual for full information.
Operational Review
------------------------------------
This is what you want to see.... "How well do they work"
Here is what I discovered:
Sound Performance: Generally audio output sounded clear with no difficulty to understand.
Volume levels are sufficient, except you may experience problems in crowded areas. The volume
with earbud use could be louder; but is sufficient to overcome most crowd noise.
Call tones: Not usually mentioned.... There is an option to disable them. Good to keep your
kids from annoying everyone. However, if you want to annoy people, they included some rather
idiotic call tones, such as a laughing man and a couple animal sounds. Very unnecessary. They
do have a few "real" call tones, however.
Vibrating alert: Very weak. I need a good kick, and these do not have it. You may not notice them.
Battery Life: Exceeded the 6 hour test time I allocated. These have the same battery packs and
chargers of previous models. You ought to get a days use out of them.
Durability: I believe these radios are sturdy enough for daily use and occaisional dropping and
moderate abuse. They feel solid and look well constructed. They are not waterproof.
Operational Range:
Home to car: .5 miles
Car to Car: Not tested
Open area to house: .75 miles
Open area to open area: 1 mile
Open area to car: .5 miles
Repeater operation:
These are consumer radios, not commercial grade. Those familar with commercial radios will
not be pleased with performance. You will not make a downtown repeater in a large city from
the suburbs. Ranges to a repeater depend largely on the construction of the repeater. Some
systems are very high profile with high-gain antennas and are mounted in very high locations.
Some systems are low-profile and have poor coverage even with the best equipment trying to
get into them.
I was able to get into a downtown repeater, standing on the roof of my house. At 40 foot
elevation, I hit a system about 12 miles away. I do not know the characteristics of the repeater.
I will update as I get more data.
** Update: In Cincinnati on vacation, we were able to make a repeater system several miles away from its location.
This is a high-profile repeater. Too bad no one else was on. Needless to say, with a good system these radios will work well.
Summary:
-------------------------------------------
All in all, I thought these were excellent radios. I base this on the fact they do what they
are designed to do. All functions work well. Operation is simple and straightforward.
The menu system is easy to navigate. I prefer a noncomplicated menu system. Ranges were
iffy on this model this year. Perhaps the lower power had something to do with it, or the fact the trees are in
full bloom. At any rate, nothing impressive.
What I liked:
Sound quality. I was able to understand all traffic.
Repeater capability. While I use none personally, I like the flexibility.
Flashlight function: Handy if you need a small light
Durability: They look built to survive
What I did not like:
Those call tones! Sorry. A laughing man? Animal sounds? Not a good decision to
include these.
Communications ranges below average for a GMRS radio
Volume levels could be a little higher.
Vibrating page: In my opinion, next to useless.
Emergency alarm. This provides a false sense of security, unless you have some
sort of pre-arranged system with friends and family.
I will give them a 3 out of 5 stars.

HQRP AC Power Adapter Charger compatible with Motorola Talkabout MT352R, MR355R, MR355R, MH230R, MJ270, MT350R Two Way Radio BRAND NEW, HIGH QUALITY...

Motorola MR355R Talkabout Two-Way Walkie Talkie Rechargeable Radio Set, 35 Miles Range Sporting the REALTREE AP HD CAMO pattern, the Motorola Talkabou...
Adorama
- Motorola Talkabout 2 way radio pair - Up to 35 mile range under optimum conditions - FRS/GMRS - 22 Channels, plus 8 repeater channels - 121 Privacy ...
Motorola MR355RBrand New Includes One Year WarrantyThe Motorola MR355R two-way radio is the ultimate communication tool for the serious outdoor enthus...
Talkabout MR355R 2 Way Radio MR355R
This item is: ON SALE WHILE SUPPLIES LAST! SHIPPING INFO: All packages are sent next business day after receiving payment. Please review our FAQ page ...
Motorola Motorola 2-Way Radios 35 Mile Range Emergency Alert NOAA VOX Flashlight Camo MR355R
Talkabout MR355R 2 Way Radio MPN: MR355R
With a range of up to approx. 35 miles, sporting the REALTREE AP HD CAMO pattern, the Motorola Talkabout MR355R is the ultimate communication tool for...
MR355R Rechargeable Camo - 35 Mi
Usually ship within 3 business days
Color: Camouflage Features: 10 different call tones including five animal sounds 11 weather channels (7 NOAA) with alert features 22 channels each wit...
Motorola Talk About MR355R Two-Way Radios 2 Pack NEW All Items Are BRAND NEW In ORIGINAL BOX! Motorola Talk About MR355R Two-Way Radios 2 Pack NEW Mot...
Motorola Talkabout Talkabout Mr355r 2 Way Radio - Mr355r Brand: Motorola Talkabout UPC: 843677000184 Model: MR355R
MOTOROLA MR355R 35-Mile Talkabout(R) 2-Way Radios with Realtree(R) Camo Finish
Motorola Two Way Radio & Walkie Talkie Accessories
Motorola Mr355r 35-mile Talkabout(r) 2-way Radios With Realtree(r) Camo Finish
Motorola Talkabout 2 way radio pair Up to 35 mile range under optimum conditions FRS/GMRS 22 Channels, plus 8 repeater channels 121 Privacy codes Buil...
1-20 of 32 best deals Page 1 2   Next >> Why are these stores listed?