Motorola MR355R Two Way Radio Reviews

Motorola MR355R Two Way Radio

A consumer Grade GMRS Radio with Repeater Capability

Dec 21, 2009

Pros:Good sound quality, easy to operate, price versus features, good.

Cons:Low receive volume, annoying call tones, poor vibrating page, alarm not worth it

The Bottom Line: Decent radios.  Power outputs have been reduced from earlier models.  They do work well.  Get rid of the odd call tones and alarm, and I'd rate it higher.

Motorola MR355R Review
FCC ID: K7GMRCEE
Power output:
FRS: .380 Watt
GMRS: 1.32 Watts (Note: This is a drop in power from last years models)
A GMRS license is required for use on all GMRS Frequencies. Shared FRS/GMRS frequencies can be used
without a license on low power only.
Features and functions:
FRS and GMRS operation
Vibrating Call Function
CTCSS and DCS operation
Weather radio with alert function
VOX operation
QT technology
Emergency Alert
Dual power with USB charging capability
LED flashlight
Scan function with lockouts
Repeater Operation
Key lock to prevent accidental setting changes
USA-only approval.
Introduction:
--------------------------------
This 2009 model has most of the functions of previous years models. As no surprise
performance was very similar. This review, however is geared to the new user
who has no experience with the Motorola series.
The newest, most exciting feature is repeater operation! To my knowlege, this is the first
consumer-grade radio to have this capability. A repeater is a special base station that
simultaneously receives and retransmits a signal from a mobile or portable station to
give additional range. This is accomplished by the use of frequency pairs, rather than a single
frequency. Radios must have the capability to use these pairs. This model does.
NOTE: Many GMRS repeaters are "closed" This means they are private to the owners or require
memberships. You must be prepared to provide your GMRS call sign (assigned with your license)
and any other information requested by the owner. Fees may be required.

Operational Description:
-------------------------------------
All operation is controlled via the "Menu" button, with the exception of the flashlight and emergency
alarm. Press the menu button the required number of times to select functions.
I will address unique features of this radio only. The manuals provide more detail.
This radio has both CTCSS and DCS selective squelch. CTCSS covers codes 1-38, DCS on 39-121.
These codes can be used both in normal and repeater operation. These are commonly known as interference elimination codes
The QT system is a proprietary system that is similar to CTCSS/DCS, except it allows "extra" codes to help
eliminate interference from non-Motorola radios. These can only be used with Mororolas with this
feature.
Repeater operation: Enabling repeater operation from the main menu gives you access to 8 additional
channels 15R through 22R. These correspond to the 8 FCC allocated repeater pairs. When manually
scrolling through channels, you will see the normal 22 channels, plus the added repeater channels, indicated
by the "R" icon.
The emergency alarm is activiated via the red button on top. Press and hold until the alarm sounds.
This alarm is audible through the speaker and also activates the transmitter. Since the radio transmits,
it is unwise to use this unless you pre-arrange with others that this is an emergency alarm. Please
consult the manual for full information.
Operational Review
------------------------------------
This is what you want to see.... "How well do they work"
Here is what I discovered:
Sound Performance: Generally audio output sounded clear with no difficulty to understand.
Volume levels are sufficient, except you may experience problems in crowded areas. The volume
with earbud use could be louder; but is sufficient to overcome most crowd noise.
Call tones: Not usually mentioned.... There is an option to disable them. Good to keep your
kids from annoying everyone. However, if you want to annoy people, they included some rather
idiotic call tones, such as a laughing man and a couple animal sounds. Very unnecessary. They
do have a few "real" call tones, however.
Vibrating alert: Very weak. I need a good kick, and these do not have it. You may not notice them.
Battery Life: Exceeded the 6 hour test time I allocated. These have the same battery packs and
chargers of previous models. You ought to get a days use out of them.
Durability: I believe these radios are sturdy enough for daily use and occaisional dropping and
moderate abuse. They feel solid and look well constructed. They are not waterproof.
Operational Range:
Home to car: .5 miles
Car to Car: Not tested
Open area to house: .75 miles
Open area to open area: 1 mile
Open area to car: .5 miles
Repeater operation:
These are consumer radios, not commercial grade. Those familar with commercial radios will
not be pleased with performance. You will not make a downtown repeater in a large city from
the suburbs. Ranges to a repeater depend largely on the construction of the repeater. Some
systems are very high profile with high-gain antennas and are mounted in very high locations.
Some systems are low-profile and have poor coverage even with the best equipment trying to
get into them.
I was able to get into a downtown repeater, standing on the roof of my house. At 40 foot
elevation, I hit a system about 12 miles away. I do not know the characteristics of the repeater.
I will update as I get more data.
** Update: In Cincinnati on vacation, we were able to make a repeater system several miles away from its location.
This is a high-profile repeater. Too bad no one else was on. Needless to say, with a good system these radios will work well.
Summary:
-------------------------------------------
All in all, I thought these were excellent radios. I base this on the fact they do what they
are designed to do. All functions work well. Operation is simple and straightforward.
The menu system is easy to navigate. I prefer a noncomplicated menu system. Ranges were
iffy on this model this year. Perhaps the lower power had something to do with it, or the fact the trees are in
full bloom. At any rate, nothing impressive.
What I liked:
Sound quality. I was able to understand all traffic.
Repeater capability. While I use none personally, I like the flexibility.
Flashlight function: Handy if you need a small light
Durability: They look built to survive
What I did not like:
Those call tones! Sorry. A laughing man? Animal sounds? Not a good decision to
include these.
Communications ranges below average for a GMRS radio
Volume levels could be a little higher.
Vibrating page: In my opinion, next to useless.
Emergency alarm. This provides a false sense of security, unless you have some
sort of pre-arranged system with friends and family.
I will give them a 3 out of 5 stars.

Motorola Two-Way TalkAbout Radio 35 Mile Range 2 Pack Realtree w/ Accy - MR355R Item SKU: MR355R Brand: Giant UPC: 843677000184 VPN: With a range of u...

Motorola MR355R 35-Mile Range 22-Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radio (Pair)
Motorola MR355R Talkabout Two-Way Walkie Talkie Rechargeable Radio Set, 35 Miles Range Sporting the REALTREE AP HD CAMO pattern, the Motorola Talkabou...
Adorama
1.888.209.5772 About me Contact Us Shipping Payments FAQ Motorola MR355R Talkabout Two-Way Walkie Talkie Rechargeable Radio Set, 35 Miles Range SKU: M...
The Motorola Talkabout Radio, Realtree AP HD has 22 channels plus 8 channels, each with 121 privacy codes for 2662 combinations. Features of the Motor...
With a range of up to approx. 35 miles, sporting the REALTREE AP HD CAMO pattern, the Motorola Talkabout MR355R is the ultimate communication tool for...
BuyDig.com
MOMR355R 800-617-4686 Add BuyDig store to favorites Motorola MR355R - 35-Mile Range 22-Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radio (Pair) Catalog #: MOMR355R MFG P...
search PN Motorola Talkabout MR355R Two Way Radio22 - 35 Mile NEW ITEM FREE SHIPPING Processing packing takes 1-3 Business days prior to ship. Product...
Motorola MR355R Talkabout Realtree 2-Way APG HD Radios With 35-Mile Range New UP 22 Channels Plus 8 Channels, Each With 121 Privacy Codes For 2662 Com...
MOTOROLA MR355R 22 CHANNEL 35 MILE TWO WAY RADIOS MR355R
This item is: ON SALE WHILE SUPPLIES LAST! SHIPPING INFO: All packages are sent next business day after receiving payment. Please review our FAQ page ...
Up To 35-mile Range ...
Abestrix
(Pictures are stock photo and item may vary stightly)Motorola Mr355R 22 Channel 35 Mile Two Way Radios MR355R Two-Way Radios The ultimate communicatio...
Welcome to NextWarehouse Store Product Information: MOTOROLA, Part #: MR355R Motorola Talkabout MR355R Two Way Radio - 22 - 35Mile Marketing Informati...
Template By Froo!Motorola MR355R - 35 Mile Range Talkabout 2-Way Radios, CAMO Series Motorola MR355R - 35 Mile Range Talkabout 2-Way Radios, CAMO Seri...
in titles description Add my Store to your Favorites and receive my email newsletters about new items and special promotions! Free Shipping on selecte...
MOTOROLA MR355R CAMO TALKABOUT 2 Two Way Radios 35-MILE These 2 Way Radios are BRAND NEW! These Motorola MR355R Camo Rechargeable 2 Way Radios are ama...
MR355R 2-Way Radio In Realtree AP Camo Talkabout P/N: MR355R Manufacturer: Motorola With a range of up to approx. 35 miles, sporting the REALTREE AP H...
Welcome to Our ebay store... Shop categories Shop Pages Product Information MOTOROLA MR355R 22 CHANNEL 35 MILE TWO WAY RADIOS Item#: 1005808 Brand: MO...
Beach Camera.com
1-20 of 42 best deals Page 1 2 3   Next >> Why are these stores listed?