Mt. Shasta, CA climber's map

Jul 29, 2004

Pros:Good detail, shows locations and difficulty of climbing routes, nice size to carry

Cons:printed only on one side, no info on how to get to trailheads

The Bottom Line: Great contour map of the mountain. Shows climbing and skiing routes. Lists difficulty of routes. Printed on plasticized material. Convenient size.

This "book" is a topographical map of Mt. Shasta in northern California. (I checked the ISBN number listed by the stores selling it just to make sure.) It is published by Wilderness Press in Berkely, California.

I just happen to have had this map with me on an ascent of the mountain exactly one week ago. I picked mine up at the Mount Shasta City USFS Ranger station. It is nicely done, and I would recommend it to anyone who plans to climb the mountain.

General description:
The map covers all of the mountain and most trailheads. The map and other information are printed on one side only, the other is blank. The total unfolded size is about 21 inches by 31 inches. The actual map area is 13.5 inches by 21.5 inches. It has markings along the sides for latitude and longitude. Down the left side it has an index of features, with locations given by a typical 1,2,3 - A,B,C grid (i.e. Thumb Rock is at C4). It also has a listing of climbing routes and variations. Difficulty level and location are listed for these.

The actual climbing routes are marked on the map, along with some trails for the lower elevations. Skiing routes and a circumnavigation route are also shown. The map shows locations of glaciers and major features on the mountain. It includes technical information, like declination information and map datum. A scale is provided in both miles and meters, and there is even a section of the notes that lists the conversions from feet to meters and meters to feet.

The map also contains some other notes, and a table of adjoining USGS 7.5 minute quadrangle maps

Technical information:
Map scale: 1:30,000 (about 2 inches to the mile)
contour interval: 40 feet
datum: WGS84

Usability:
The map is printed on a plasticized material, which makes it much more durable than paper. The print size is fine for a person with good eyesight. I suppose it could be a problem for others, so don't leave your reading glasses at home if you are a person who normally needs those. The information is well laid out, and the climbing routes and variations are clearly marked. The map folds up to about 4.5 inches by 5.5 inches, so it will fit in a decent sized pocket. The only thing it lacks is information on getting to the trailheads.