Mucinex Expectorant Guaifenesin Extended Release 600mg Tablets 40 Each

A one trick pony that didn't do that trick too well for me

Apr 9, 2005

Pros:Almost anyone over the age of 12 can take this, no drowsiness or jitters

Cons:Doesn't really effectively clear the head of congestion as it claims

The Bottom Line: This is best for those who can't take traditional cold or flu remedies. I didn't find it helped my severe head congestion much at all.

Spring is in the air. The grass is finally green. The sun is shining. And I am sick. This is not a new concept. I seem to get sick whenever the seasons change (and often for no reason at all!). This time, I have a whopper of an inner ear problem along with a sinus infection.

As I write this, I am battling the next round of symptoms --a sore throat and yet another fever.

One problem I have is that, when I get all backed up with fluid from a sinus infection or allergies (of which I suffer from many), my inner ears take a hit. I have a lot of problems with my ears and fluid plus my bad ears equals a load of dizziness. I have been nearly crawling from room to room since I got sick and finally managed to make it to my doctor's for help. Or so I thought. I didn't get help but I did get a nice long wait in a crowded, stuffy waiting room and a big fat bill for his five minutes of time.

Oh, yes, and a suggestion to try Mucinex 600 mg Guaifenesin Extended Release tablets

Here's the thing. I have a thyroid condition that is taken care of with thyroid hormone replacement. Usually, that isn't an issue for me. However, when I get sick, I can't take many over the counter medications, especially any decongestants. That leaves me with very few options to clear my head and chest. Ahh, to be able to take Thera Flu or Drixoral just one more time...

I am stuck with only pure antihistamines like Benadryl which, if my nose is running like crazy and I am having allergy symptoms, help some. With this illness, though, Benadryl seems to do nothing but make the gunk in my head even thicker and more troublesome.

When the doctor suggested Mucinex, I was quick to ask if it is OK to take with a thyroid problem (I don't trust that he remembers anything) and he said it was safe to take with almost any medical condition and with any other medication. I didn't know what it was but if it helped and was safe, I was all for it.

The Official Word

The www.mucinex.com website describes this product this way:
Mucinex® is an expectorant that helps you cough more productively so you can get rid of excess mucus and breathe easier.
• Mucinex® is the only FDA-approved, long-lasting expectorant made with extended-release guaifenesin
• Mucinex® provides nondrowsy relief from congestion
• Mucinex® is a convenient, easy-to-take, bi-layer tablet that works 2 ways:
– The white layer immediately releases the medicine
– The blue layer works steadily, releasing medicine hour after hour
• Mucinex® lasts up to 12 hours

What it is

As it says above, this is an expectorant that helps thin and loosen mucus and enables you to better get rid of it so you can start feeling better. I don't have a chest cold but I know that when I do get them, nothing feels worse than coughing my head off and feeling like there is something in my lungs that won't go away. This product is supposed to be especially good at breaking up the thick congestion in the lungs to help you feel better faster.

Because my problem is in my head -- I hear you snickering, you know what I mean, I have fluid and congestion in my head -- I wasn't sure if Mucinex would be worth taking or not. But, without much else to rely on, I went out and bought a box of 20 pills.

The Packaging

Mucinex comes in a deceptively large box. You feel like you're getting something for your $10.00. When you open the box, there is a bottle of 20 pills inside about the size of a large bottle of Tylenol and an empty half of box for no reason. But wait! When you open the bottle, there is cotton. Not just one wad, but two huge wads of it. When you FINALLY get to the pills, aside from a big "Do Not Eat" moisture pellet, the pills could fit into a jar about as big as one of my lip balms come in. With room to spare. It seems pretty crazy to go so out of the way to make a big box and a big bottle for 20 little pills but, I suppose perception is everything. Or is that DECEPTION? Hmm...

Ingredients

Active Ingredients
Per Each Extended-Release Tablet: Guaifenesin 600 mg

Inactive Ingredients
Carbomer 934P NF; FD&C Blue #1 Aluminum Lake; Hypromellose USP; Magnesium Stearate NF; Microcrystalline Cellulose NF; Sodium Starch Glycolate NF"""

My Experience

The pills are a bit smaller than the size of a dime and fairly thick. They are blue and white and not the easiest to swallow. You can take one or two every 12 hours. The directions don’t tell you which is best to take so I opted for one at a time since I didn’t have any idea how they would make me feel.

And six pills later, I am still trying to figure out how they make me feel.

Mucinex doesn’t cause drowsiness or rapid heartbeat or any other side affect that is common with medications for colds, allergies, and the flu. It really doesn’t do anything except to thin secretions as it claims.

I did notice that I had more “gunk” coming down my throat after taking a pill but I wasn’t particularly pleased with that. If anything, the extra secretions made me a bit nauseated. I still feel dizzy, my ears are still full, and I am coughing now because of all the junk slithering down my throat. But maybe that’s a good thing. It’s better than having fluid in my sinuses and ears, I suppose.

Still, if I didn’t have a thyroid problem and could take traditional remedies like I used to, I would never take Mucinex. I see no reason to. Perhaps for those with chest colds whose lungs are filled up, Mucinex could help alleviate the fullness and make coughing more “productive” as they say and help rid the body of the phlegm in the lungs. Of course, any good cough medicine with expectant can do that as well.

The Bottom Line

For $9.99, I got 20 pills which, taken two at a time, twice daily as directed would last me five days. That’s fairly pricey for just an expectorant that doesn’t treat any other symptoms. I think they could lower the price if they pared down the box and bottle and just sold a small bottle of pills rather than making a big production out of the packaging.

I haven’t gained much benefit from Mucinex Expectorant after three days and I doubt I will continue to take them. If you can take other medications for colds and allergies, do so. This product could be useful, however, for those who are on thyroid or blood pressure medications and simply cannot combine decongestants and other medications with their daily meds.

Otherwise, I don’t see any need for a separate product that is JUST an expectorant. Most cold and flu remedies have an expectorant in them already if you feel you need one, plus other things to help you feel better. This product is a one trick pony and it doesn’t do the trick very well.

Some Precautions

Kids under 12 shouldn’t take this product. Always ask your doctor before taking any medication if you are pregnant or nursing. And always take this medication with a full glass of water or liquid to help it absorb and start to work. You should not crush the pill, you must take it whole to keep the "extended release" affect. This product can be taken on an empty or full stomach with no ill affects.

Contact Information

The official website for Mucinex products is www.mucinex.com

Headquarters

www.adamsrt.com
www.mucinex.com

Mucinex Expectorant Guaifenesin Extended-Release 600 mg 40 Tablets

Mucinex Expectorant Guaifenesin Extended-Release 600 mg 40 Tablets

Helps loosen phlegm (mucus) and thin bronchial secretions to rid the bronchial passageways of bothersome mucus and make coughs more productive.600 mg ...
Pharmaca Integrative Pharmacy

Mucinex Expectorant Guaifenesin Extended-Release 600 mg Tablets  100 ea

Mucinex Expectorant Guaifenesin Extended-Release 600 mg Tablets 100 ea

Mucinex Expectorant Guaifenesin Extended-Release 600 mg Tablets
American Drug Supply Store
Mucinex Mucinex Expectorant 20 Tabs

Mucinex Mucinex Expectorant 20 Tabs

Mucinex Expectorant 20 Tabs - Get relief from chest congestion with Mucinex. This expectorant thins and loosens mucus and relieves chest congestion fo...
Swanson Health Products

Mucinex Expectorant, Guaifenesin Extended-Release 600 mg Tablets  40 ea

Mucinex Expectorant, Guaifenesin Extended-Release 600 mg Tablets 40 ea

Mucinex Expectorant Tablets Extended Release 600 Mg
American Drug Supply Store
Mucinex 600 Mg Guaifenesin Extended-release Bi-layer Tablets Expectorant 20 Ct

Mucinex 600 Mg Guaifenesin Extended-release Bi-layer Tablets Expectorant 20 Ct

Mucinex Breaks Up The Mucus That Causes Chest Congestion While Providing Fast And Long Lasting Relief. Mucinex Is Specially Formulated In A Bi-Layer T...

Mucinex: Maximum Strength: 1200 Mg Guaifenesin Extended-Release Bi-Layer Tablets Expectorant, 14 Ct

Mucinex 600 Mg Guaifenesin Extended-release Bi-layer Tablets Expectorant 40 Ct

Mucinex 600 Mg Guaifenesin Extended-release Bi-layer Tablets Expectorant 40 Ct

Mucinex Mucinex Expectorant 40 Tabs

Mucinex Mucinex Expectorant 40 Tabs

Mucinex Expectorant 40 Tabs - Mucus doesn't stand a chance against Mucinex. Fast-acting and long-lasting Mucinex relieves chest congestion by breaking...
Swanson Health Products

Mucinex DM Max Strength 1200 Mg Guaifenesin & 60 Mg Dextromethorphan Hbr Extended-Release Bi-Layer Tablets Expectorant/Cough Suppressant, 14 ct

Mucinex DM Max Strength 1200 Mg Guaifenesin, 14 ct, is what you need to fight your worst chest congestion and cough. These 60 Mg Dextromethorphan HBr ...

Mucinex Maximum Strength 1200 Mg Guaifenesin Bi-layer Tablets Expectorant, 14ct

Mucinex Maximum Strength 1200 Mg Guaifenesin Bi-layer Tablets Expectorant, 14ct

Helps loosen phlegm (mucus) and thin bronchial secretions to rid the bronchial passageways of bothersome mucus and make coughs more productive. Maximu...