Multivitamin

Finding the right vitamin for your toddler.

Nov 1, 2002 (Updated Nov 1, 2002)

Pros:Help children gets those missing vitamins especially if you have a picky eater.

Cons:Some taste horrible, don't contain enough vitamins, and do not digest very well.

The Bottom Line: I think what with the overproduction of fruits and vegetables people really need vitamins and minerals to supplement their diet, especially growing toddlers.

My poor mom had a terrible time trying to get me to take my Flinstone vitamins when I was a little kid. She just did not understand that those vitamins tasted like vitamins. Well right before my son turned two I talked to our family doctor which is a DO (Doctor of Osteopath) and asked him, should my son take a multi-vitamin and if so which one was the best in his opinion (It is alway best to consult a doctor before trying a new vitamin). He told us because a lot of fruits and vegetables are mass produced that they just don't have all the vitamins and minerals that they use to have. He then suggested that we try L'il Critters Gummy Vites. Now even though I had a doctors recommendation on them I wanted to do a little more research for myself and this is what I found out.

What makes these better then the Flinstone vitamins that my mom gave me?

1. They taste so much better, I think that they taste just like gummy bears. Now that my son is starting to have little play friends I hear him telling them all the time my mom gives me candy for breakfast, it's kind of funny! Thankfully they have those child safety lids on them!

2. They are more then just a vitamin, they also have important minerals in them too, like Calcium.

3. They are digested easier. Those of you that have toddlers know that you can give your child a carrot and they take bites but they don't really chew very good yet. That's the main problem with Flintstones, if they don't chew it very well it won't digest very well either. Though the instructions on the label do say that if your child can not chew these properly to crush them. I just like the Gummy Vites better because if they don't chew them they will melt. The only problem with this is if the temperatures get hot where you live you'll have to store them in the fridge. I just do this anyway so when I'm getting my son's juice in the morning I don't forget the vitamin.

4. The Gummy Vites do not have any of the weird dyes (like red #40) that some kids are allergic to. I wanted to be careful about this sort of thing since a few people in my family are allergic to red dyes.

What's in the two Vitamins?

My First Flinstones Vitamins, Ages 2-3 yrs old

Taking one Flinstone Vitamin provides,

Facts: Vitamin A 2500IU, Vitamin C 60mg, Vitamin D 400IU, Vitamin E 15IU, Thiamin(B1) 1.05mg, Riboflavin(B2) 1.2mg, Niacin(B3) 13.5mg, Vitamin B6 1.05mg, Folate/Folic Acid/ Folacin 300mcg, Vitamin B12 4.5mcg.

Ingredients: Sucrose (a natural sweetner), Sodium Ascorbate, Steric Acid, Invert Sugar, Artifical Flavors (including fruit acids), Gelatin, Vitamin E Acetate, Niacinamide, FD&C Red #40 Lake, FD&C Yellow #6 Lake, FD&C Blue #2 Lake, Pyridoxide Hydrocloride, Riboflavin, Thiamin Mononitrate, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Beta Carotene, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12.

L'il Critters Gummy Vites, Ages 2 and up

Taking two Gummy Vites provides,

Fact: Calories 15, Fat 0mg, Sodium 1.5mg, Total Carbohydrates 4g, Carbohydrates from Sugars 2g, Protein 0mg, Vitamin A (as vitamin A palmitate) 2500IU, Viamin C (as asorbic acid) 15mg, Vitamin D-3 (as cholecalciferol) 50IU, Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopheryl acerete) 15IU, Vitamin B-6 (as pyridoxine HCI) 500mcg, Folic Acid 200mcg, Vitamin B-12 (as cyanocobalamin) 3mcg, Biotin 45mcg, Pantothenic Acis (as d-calcium pantothenate) 2.5 mg, Calcium (as calium lactate) 4mg, Iodine (as potassium iodide) 30mcg, Magnesium (as magesium gluconate) 2mg, Choline (as choline bitatrate) 10mcg, Inositol 10mcg.

Other Ingredients: Glucose syrup, sucrose, geletin, citric acid, lactic acid, natural colors added including(annatto and carmine), natural flavors, fractionated coconut oil and beeswax to prevent sticking.

I asked my doctor if the Flintstones have more vitamins should my son take those instead? He told me that this is a dietary supplement and that you should not try and rely on getting your vitamins from them alone. For example the 15mg of Vitamin C is about half of the toddlers daily allowance, the rest should come from food. He said that Flinstone probably added more because it's harder to digest. Then he also told me about some studies where too much Vitamin C can lead to problems down the road like cancer. He also suggested that when eating home grown vegetables to cut my son's vitamins down to one instead of two, until he's four anyway.

How much do they cost?

Well I went to four stores in search of prices(prices will vary depending where you live but I think you'll get the idea).

Costco: Had the Flinstones 180 for $9.99. They had a $2 coupon going last time I bought the Gummy Vites which made them $7.99 for 200, but they are normally $9.99.

Drugstore.com: They have the Flinstones 60 for $8.99 or 100 for $9.99 and the Gummy Vites 60 for $5.99.

GNC: They do not carry the Flinstones, but they have the Gummy Vites 60 for $6.99.

My local health food store: They also did not carry Flinstones but had the Gummy Vites 60 for $7.99.

After the high opinion of my doctor, the lady that worked at GNC, and the lady that owns the health food store I decided that even though they are more expensive that they are worth it.

Conclusion: I think everyone needs a multi-vitamin now days, I think you should always talk to your doctor about the vitamins before you take them. If your looking for a good vitamin for your child this is what I suggest. Thank you for reading this epinion and I hope it helps you out.

Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Firm Eye 2.5 Oz Pro Size

Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Firm Eye 2.5 Oz Pro Size

Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Firm For Eye and Lip 2.5 oz Brand NEW - Never Opened - Professional (Salon) Size DESCRIPTION Retail Value: $215 Combat ...

Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Exfoliant 118ml/ 4oz 30ct (pro Size)

Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Exfoliant 118ml/ 4oz 30ct (pro Size)

Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Exfoliant 118ml/ 4oz 30ct (Pro Size) Authentic, New Sealed. Size : Professional Size Current stock expiration date : No...

Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Firm (professional Size 2.5 Oz.)

Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Firm (professional Size 2.5 Oz.)

Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Firm (Professional Size 2.5 oz.) Powerful firming complex helps combat lines around the delicate eye area. Help acceler...
Dermalogica Age Smart MultiVitamin Power Firm (Salon Size) 74ml/2.5oz by Dermalogica

Free Shipping worldwide. Recommended Retail: US$250.00 - Age Smart MultiVitamin Power Firm (Salon Size)-74ml/2.5oz - skincare / cosmetics
StrawberryNET.com

Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Exfoliant - 30 Sealed Tubes - Brand

Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Exfoliant - 30 Sealed Tubes - Brand

BRAND NEW - DERMALOGICA Multivitamin Power Exfoliant - 30 Tubes Recommended for the smart management and treatment of Skin Aging A Maximum strength ex...

Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Firm .5oz Fresh/new No Box

Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Firm .5oz Fresh/new No Box

Dermalogica MultiVitamin Power Firm .5oz Fresh/New No Box Dermalogica MultiVitamin Power Firm .5oz Fresh/New No Box Never Opened, Sealed, Stored in ro...

Dermalogica Age Smart MultiVitamin Power Exfoliant Treatment (Salon Size) 30 Caps by Dermalogica

Free Shipping worldwide. Recommended Retail: US$173.00 - Age Smart MultiVitamin Power Exfoliant Treatment (Salon Size)-30 Caps - skincare / cosmetics
StrawberryNET.com

Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Firm.powerful Firming Complex 0.5oz

Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Firm.powerful Firming Complex 0.5oz

dermalogica Age Smart Multivitamin Power Protect Skin from Signs of Aging !dermalogica Age Smart MultiVitamin Power Firm is a powerful firming complex...

Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Firm 2.5 Fluid Ounce

Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Firm 2.5 Fluid Ounce

NEW Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Firm 2.5 Fluid Ounce $115.61 $155.95 Recommended for environmentally-sensitized or prematurely-aging skin. Combat v...

Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Firm Professional 2.5oz/ 74ml Freshest 2014

Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Firm Professional 2.5oz/ 74ml Freshest 2014

Dermalogica multivitamin power firm 2.5 fl / 74 ml Powerful firming complex helps combat lines around the delicate eye area. Help accelerate skin's na...