NEC NP610 LCD Projector Reviews

NEC NP610 LCD Projector

Nice projector: works as advertised

Aug 18, 2010 (Updated Aug 20, 2010)

• Reliability:
  • Display Quality:

Pros:Straight forward, very bright, lens sharp enough

Cons:500:1 contrast could be better

The Bottom Line: I like this unit and recommend it.  It's a very good value.

Researching this purchase, we quickly found that LCD projector prices rise steeply in direct relation to the brightness of the bulb.  Since most of the projectors that were bright enough to serve our needs were out of our price range by $300-$700, this purchase was a quest to find the most brightness for the buck.

We found Hitachi has some attractive units we could almost afford, and these NECs are available online at steep discounts too.  Don't be shy, the NEC NP610 works very well.  We bought ours used from a reputable dealer, B & H Photo, who installed a fresh bulb before offering it for sale.  We paid around $720 after shipping.  It arrived so clean I wouldn't have known it was used if the box hadn't had a "USED" sticker on it.

Video inputs include "VGA in" and "VGA out" ports, as well as a newer DVI port.  The projector also has S video and standard analog, via phono jack.  It does not have HDMI.

Although we'll never use it, the projector has functionality for permanent installations and institutional use that's pretty impressive. Using the video cable, the projector can be controlled from the computer it's connected to.  The projector also has a computer network socket (RJ-45), through which the projector can report critical information to a facilities manager, such as remaining bulb life.

For our use, the control menus are logical and easy to navigate.  We were able to set up the projector, adjust the color settings, keystone settings and reverse the image for rear projection in a few minutes without reaching for the manual.

Native resolution for the unit is XGA, which is 1024 x 768, and that's pretty standard, as is contrast of 500:1.  For some extra money, you could do better with a Hitachi model CP-X3011N, which has contrast specs of 2000:1.  In practice, the NEC projector cannot fully black out the dark areas of the screen, the black areas are still dimly illuminated, but your eye gets used to this pretty quickly and it's well within our expectations.

Rated at 3500 lumens, this is a very bright projector.  In a conference room, you would have no trouble using this with the lights on.  For us, showing outdoor movies with the unit set up for rear-projection, we'll be able to project images 10 feet across with ease.

In a home theater setting where the image is projected onto the front of the screen, and screen is not that big to begin with, 2000-2500 lumens may be plenty.  If you can get by with fewer lumens, you may be smart to go that way.  With a 235 watt bulb, the NEC NP610 runs extremely hot, and it will warm up a room in short order.

Size wise, this unit is a little too large to travel gracefully, but for non-road warriors, it's a very practical size.  It's not rugged, but it's also not fragile.  Handled with reasonable care, it should last you many years.

The projector comes with case, manual, remote, remote batteries, power cable and VGA cable.

Purchase Price (if leased, monthly payment): 720

Nec Np-pa600x-13zl Lcd Projector - On Sale Now - Limited Stock.

Nec Np-pa600x-13zl Lcd Projector - On Sale Now - Limited Stock.

View your image with powerful brightness and monitor it with integrated networking capabilities. NEC's 6000-lumen PA600X is an advanced professional i...

Nec Np-pa500u-13zl Lcd Projector - On Sale Now - Limited Stock.

Nec Np-pa500u-13zl Lcd Projector - On Sale Now - Limited Stock.

Present with carefree ease using NEC's 5000-lumen PA500U. This reliable model is designed for advanced professional installations and appeases corpora...

Nec Np-Pa500u With Np13zl.  Bundle Includes Pa500u Projector And Np13zl Lens., Can O

Nec Np-Pa500u With Np13zl. Bundle Includes Pa500u Projector And Np13zl Lens., Can O

Dell Small Office

NEC - NP-PA600X Professional Installation Projector, 6000 Lumens, HQV Technology, (5) Bayo

NEC NP-PA600X Professional Installation Projector, 6000 Lumens, HQV Technology, (5) Bayonet-Style Lenses, Cabinet Control Lock, RJ45 Connection The NE...
Adorama

Nec Np-pa500x Lcd Projector - 720p - Hdtv - 4:3

Nec Np-pa500x Lcd Projector - 720p - Hdtv - 4:3

FEATURES DESCRIPTIONS SHIPPING PAYMENT RETURN POLICY GUIDE nbsp Internal Frame Bag Camera Backpack Daypack Camping Equipment Pet Supplies Electronic D...

NP-PA600X LCD projector

NP-PA600X LCD projector

NEC NP-PA600X - LCD projector - 6000 lumens - 1024 x 768 - 4:3 - LAN
PCM

NEC Display NP-PA600X 720p HDTV LCD Projector - 2,000:1 - 6000 lumens - F/1.7 - 2.2 - XGA 1024 x 768

Nec Np100 Dlp Projector 2000 Ansi Lumens (brand New)

Nec Np100 Dlp Projector 2000 Ansi Lumens (brand New)

yanshen66 Store SquareTrade AP6.0 General Device Type DLP projector Built-in Devices Speaker Width 10.7 in Depth 8.1 in Height 3.3 in Weight 5.3 lbs...

NEC - NP-PA500X Professional Installation Projector, 5000 Lumens, HQV Technology, HDMI Inp

NEC NP-PA500X Professional Installation Projector, 5000 Lumens, HQV Technology, HDMI Input The NEC NP-PA500X Professional Installation Projector is on...
Adorama