Netgear G54 WGR614 54 Mbps 1-Port 10/100 Wireless G Router (WGR614-900PES) Reviews

Netgear G54 WGR614 54 Mbps 1-Port 10/100 Wireless G Router (WGR614-900PES)

If it fails, the support is awful.

Aug 25, 2007
  • User Rating: Disappointing

• Ease of Installation:

Pros:When it worked, it was very good; easy to set up and easy to configure.

Cons:Netgear's so-called "tech support" is worse than a joke.

The Bottom Line: If you can get it cheap, and it's not mission-critical, it might be OK. Otherwise, avoid.

I bought one of these on the strength of good results from an earlier Netgear purchase. It was a mistake. After 9 months in service, the router suddenly stopped connecting to the modem. I spent nearly two hours on the phone with Netgear's tech support, while they had me swap cables around and try various things that didn't fix it, at the end of which we had verified that the internet port was no longer capable of connecting to my modem. The tech promised me that a higher-level tech would call me back as soon as one was available.

Five days later, I got an email (NOT a phone call) telling me to do exactly the same things that hadn't worked before, and assuring me that this would fix it. The email said that I should email back if there was any additional problem, but a reply to the From: address promptly bounced, and no other email address was given in the message. Trying to get Netgear's attention by submitting a Follow-up on their website has been equally unproductive.

I've been without a router for over a week, and they still haven't made any effort to offer a replacement or a fix. I've had it with Netgear at this point; I'm going to buy a different brand as a replacement, and sell whatever exchange they send me as a used unit on eBay.

Driver Availability: Don''t Know

Conveniently share your Internet connection with your loved ones with the help of the high-performance NetGear WGR614 wireless router. Designed specia...