Netgear G54 WGR614 54 Mbps 1-Port 10/100 Wireless G Router (WGR614-900PES) Reviews

Netgear G54 WGR614 54 Mbps 1-Port 10/100 Wireless G Router (WGR614-900PES)

10 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: Excellent

NetGear Wireless - Freedom Worth the Effort

Apr 25, 2008

• Ease of Installation:

Pros:Easy instructions Helpful Support Works as expected (for me) Freedom

Cons:Takes some time for installation

The Bottom Line: I would highly recommend this software. It does what it says and it's installation is average.

I purchased the NetGear-G in January, 2008. I purchased this at Amazon, they have an offer that if you open their charge, you get $30 off. This only cost me $10.

I did do some of my research in local stores. I was told that the difference between the NetGear-G and the NetGear-N is that the NetGear-N is faster and 'better', but it is not a standard platform. To me this means that if a new standard replaces your NetGear-N, it could be obsolete. Whether N has become a standard since January, I don't know.

Installation I heard was a worry for any wireless router and 2/3 end up returned. I have a little technical knowledge, but I am in no way a techie. The directions were clear, step-by-step. You just can not get ahead of them. Follow them in the correct order and it is easy.

During installation, I had one issue and it was one that I had no control over. It appears that my Microsoft Operating System was configured incorrectly for the router. I am sure this happens to many people since the configuration was probably a default setting. I called NetGear support. They were quick, responsive and helpful. They seemed to know what the problem was immediately.

Once the installation is complete, they really do not tell you how to change the setting on your computer to wireless. Basically, you will go to your Control Panel through Start„³Settings to click on the wireless connection.

It is well worth the effort to get the router installed. I can take my laptop outside on the deck or sit and watch TV.

The performance is a bit slow, but this is normal due to the fact the connection has to go through the router, an extra step for the juice to get to you.

Driver Availability: Don''t Know

Conveniently share your Internet connection with your loved ones with the help of the high-performance NetGear WGR614 wireless router. Designed specia...