Netgear G54 WGR614 54 Mbps 1-Port 10/100 Wireless G Router (WGR614-900PES) Reviews

Netgear G54 WGR614 54 Mbps 1-Port 10/100 Wireless G Router (WGR614-900PES)

Great Router for Macs and PC's

Mar 4, 2010 (Updated Mar 5, 2010)

• Ease of Installation:

Pros:Great wireless reception both for MACS and PCS. Long range. Reliable. Easy set up.

Cons:Only Wirless G. No wireless N

The Bottom Line: Great reception on my old macbook pro. Works well with my PC. Long range, better than the most expensive routers. This one's a keeper.

In the last few month's I've tried a lot of routers. The one that broke my heart the most is the Apple airport extreme. For nearly $200 I got a really beautiful device that worked extremely well with my PC's - but constantly had problems connecting wirelessly to my Macbook Pro. I have the older macbooks that use the G network rather than the new and better N. I called Apple and their service as always was impeccable and yet the technician told me that their routers are better for N and not for G. I kept getting disconnected from the router even when I was sitting in the same room as the router.
The problem with a lot of newer and expensive devices is that if too many people in adjacent apartements are also using a similar device  it will cause your system to disconnect you. I guess all my neighbors have Apple as well and many have the airport extreme router.

Finally, after wasting many days trying various routers that didn't work and were super expensive  I decided to give this router a chance. I had just returned my second Apple Airport extreme to Best Buy( I decided to give Apple one last chance as they got my heart but once again I was deceived). Best Buy had a sale on this one. It was $39. I decided that for this price I'll give it a chance.

WOW. Who ever said you get what you pay for!
Set up was a breeze. It's not as user friendly as the Apple device but it's still relatively easy.
I have uninterupted wireless reception for my macbook pro all over my home during all hours of the day.
With the airport extreme I would waste a lot of time going into the set up and manually looking for a channel that would keep me connected. A huge hassle that may times forced me to eventually call the Apple customer support line.(Their auto search isn't that good and the manual isn't that easy to work with.)

Not with NETGEAR. The device finds the best channel automatically and I have experienced constant uninterupted service for a whole week since I bought it. No need to call any customer support or go into any complicated manual set ups.

The device is larger and less sexy than Apple, Cisco and other more expensive devices and it has a really big and ugly antenna, but perhaps that's why the reception is so much better.
There are also a lot of annoying lights on the device which make my desk feel like a disco - but the good thing is that unlike other devices that have no LED lights, this one allows me to see if the various devices I've hooked up to the router are actually working or not.

You can connect 4 devices to this router with a hard wire and they all work well together. I can talk on my Vonage device(that's connected now to this router) and work on the computer  at the same time, even download videos, without any lags, voice interuptions or either device getting stuck, like I used to experience with the ATT router I used to have.

Overall, this is a basic router that for users that have a G device and not N will do a wonderful job with a very long antenna range.

I am not a gamer - only a regular user - so I can vouch only for YOUTUBE and other light video intensive websites.

I did feel that the Apple airport extreme had a faster response to some websites - but as mentioned above, reception was spotty and not consistent. This device might be a little slower, but there's consistency in the reception which makes for a much better overall experience.

It's a keeper for me!

Driver Availability: Windows, Linux, and Mac

Conveniently share your Internet connection with your loved ones with the help of the high-performance NetGear WGR614 wireless router. Designed specia...