-29%

Free Shipping Dell

WIFI Extended - Frustration Ended

Oct 29, 2010

• Ease of Installation:

Pros:Just attach power adapter - all set.
No special software to install.
Good security options.

Cons:Imperfect instructions.

The Bottom Line: To extend the range of an "N" wifi network, this is the product you should buy.  Good quality, no need to deal with it once set up.

When my old router died, I bought the Linksys WRT160N.  The sales folks indicated that it had enough broadcast strength to handle a typical 2 story, 2,500 sq. foot home .. so I thought I was set.  Unfortunately, while the ethernet ports worked fine for hard-wired computers, wireless strength was limited, and the router does not have external antennas that can be replaced.  I was not pleased.

After doing some research online, I decided to buy the Netgear WN2000RPT Repeater, which is supposed to pick up your weak WIFI signal, and rebroadcast it .. while preserving your network's security.

The extended ships with a simple plastic base piece (which snaps into the device), a power adapter, and a very brief, one page installation guide.  It is designed to be set up using a laptop, although once you have it set up, there is no reason why you cannot use it with other WIFI devices, such a Blu-Ray player.

I am not sure why, but when I powered mine up, my Network detected a LINKSYS device .. not the Netgear box.  Suspecting it was really my extended, I entered its passkey and sure enough I became connected to the repeater.  A little awkward, but this was really the only installation difficulty that I encountered.

A simple, web-based wizard helped me to complete the configuration of the device.  I set it up with WPA2 security, and would encourage others to do the same.  One oddity - it will set up a second, "parallel" network to your main wireless network.  You can easily set it to share your router's security method and key.

If you own other Netgear equiment,  it is possible to push a single button (WPS) and get connected in 2 minutes, but honestly it did not take me much longer, once I had gotten the orignal connection running smoothly.

What I love about the product is the easy set up (once you've done it once), nice compact footprint, good price ($70), and the good speed I saw once this was in my network.

What I think needs a little improvememt is the initial portion of the set up instructions .. I never detected "NETGEAR_EXT", but once I had found the new network, everything was simple.

Driver Availability: Other

NETGEAR WN2000RPT Universal WiFi Range Extender
Netgear WN2000RPT IEEE 802.11n 54 Mbps Wireless Range Extender - ISM Band
Works with any wireless b/g/n router or gateway from NETGEAR and other brands. Works with all security standards including WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK, mixed mo...
Quill.com
NETGEAR CONSUMER WN2000RPT-100NAS UNIVERSAL WIFI RANGE EXTENDER
NETGEAR WN2000RPT Universal WiFi Range Extender - Wireless network extender - 802.11b/g/n WN2000RPT-100NAS
NETGEAR Universal WiFi Range Extender
The Netgear Universal WiFi Range Extender allows you to keep your current wireless equipment and improve coverage to eliminate dead zones, giving you ...
Dell