NetGear XAVB101 Network Adapter Reviews

NetGear XAVB101 Network Adapter

plug and surf

Mar 11, 2010 (Updated Mar 11, 2010)

• Ease of Installation:

Pros:easy to install with great consistently high bandwidth

Cons:somewhat pricey and your miles might vary depending on your home wiring and environment

The Bottom Line: give it try if your home doesn't already have ethernet jacks or wifi technology is hindered by distance/walls/etc.

Why would I go back to the stone ages and get a wired connection when wireless is here? Here's why:

1) bandwidth
2) security
3) consistency

I'll come back to compare these. First, setting up the Netgear XAVB101 was a piece of cake. The XAVB101 kit comes with two adapters and two ethernet cables. I plugged one adapter directly into the wall near my computer.  From the adapter, I connected one ethernet cable to my PC.  With the second included netgear adapter, I plugged it into the wall power socket near my router/cable modem.  From it, I connected the ethernet cable to my router.

Done. I was able to browse the web, view my network shares from my computer as if I directly connected to the router via ethernet or wifi.  Since it's 10/100 ethernet technology, it's compatible with nearly every operating system including MAC, Windows and Linux.

Since I live in an apartment with neighbors, it's possible that someone else's electrical system is connected to mine. Thus, it's possible to interfere or connect to others with the same homeplug technology. This is where the encryption plays a role.  Each adapter is capable of storing a secure password and only connect to adapter which have the same password. The process is simple: hold one adapter's security button for 2 seconds, followed by doing the same on the second adapter. The same process can be performed on up to 10 adapters.

Netgear includes a disc manual and a software utility to browse and configure the adapters you own.  This software is very useful and includes features such as: change passwords, prioritize certain clients/protocols/vlans, turn off the LED's, and upgrade the firmware.  Turning off the LED's was a big plus for me as I have an adapter next to my TV.

Finally, going back to the bullet points above:

bandwidth -
across my 2 bedroom apartment:

Netgear's XAVB101 = 40-45mbps
802.11g wifi =12mbps
802.11n = 16-20mbps

When in closer proximity to my router/basestation:

Netgear XAVB101 = 60-70mbps
802.11g wifi = 20mbps
802.11n wifi = 64-100mbps

Pretty impressive especially at a distance.

security - both wireless and netgear's XAVB101 homeplug support encryption.  But i'd think it's less likely someone can physically plug into my home's power grid and break the encryption than snoop wifi packets surrounding my home.

consistency - Netgear XAVB101 is always on with little variance in latency and bandwidth.  When my computer comes out of sleep, boots or hibernates, the network connection is instantly on.  With Wifi, I tend to have some delay as access point is being connected to.  Overall, once connected, both wired and wireless have stable network connections.

power consumption is relatively low at 3-4watts.  If the computer is shutdown (ethernet is not connected), the Netgear adapter sleeps at around 1watt.

Driver Availability: Windows, Linux, and Mac

XAVB5001 Powerline Network Adapter Kit (XAVB5001)

XAVB5001 Powerline Network Adapter Kit (XAVB5001)

Extend your network - Extend Internet access throughout your home to any electrical outlet for desktop PCs, gaming consoles and set-top boxes Gigabit-...
Netgear Ma101 802.11b Wireless Usb Adapter

Netgear Ma101 802.11b Wireless Usb Adapter

Netgear MA101 802.11b Wireless USB Adapter Wireless networking over USB!This Netgear MA101 Wireless USB Adapter delivers fast, reliable Internet acces...

Netgear A6200 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Network Adapter USB 2.0

Netgear A6200 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Network Adapter USB 2.0

The Netgear A6200 Wi-Fi Network Adapter delivers next generation Wi-Fi speeds and enables multiple HD video streams throughout your home simultaneousl...
Dell

Netgear Usb Wireless-n Adapter Wn111 N-300 Wireless Network Adapter Card Bnib

Netgear Usb Wireless-n Adapter Wn111 N-300 Wireless Network Adapter Card Bnib

MODEL: WN111 WIRELESS-N N300 USB ADAPTER http://support.netgear.com/product/WN111v2

NetGear XAVB5101-100PAS Powerline XAVB5101 - bridge - wall-pluggable

NETGEAR Powerline XAVB5101 - Bridge - GigE HomePlug AV (HPAV) - wall-pluggable ( pack of 2 )
MacMall

PCM

NETGEAR XAVB5201-100PAS POWERLINE 500 ADAPTER KIT
Netgear N300 Usb Wireless-n Adapter Wn111 Rangemax Wireless Network Adapter Bnib

NETGEAR MODEL: WN111 RFANGEMAX WIRELESS-N N300 USB WIRELESS ADAPTER AUCTION INCLUDE: SEALED RETAIL BOX WITH ALL CONTENTS; Adapter, Cable, InstructionS...