NetGear XAVB101 Network Adapter Reviews

NetGear XAVB101 Network Adapter

plug and surf

Mar 11, 2010 (Updated Mar 11, 2010)

• Ease of Installation:

Pros:easy to install with great consistently high bandwidth

Cons:somewhat pricey and your miles might vary depending on your home wiring and environment

The Bottom Line: give it try if your home doesn't already have ethernet jacks or wifi technology is hindered by distance/walls/etc.

Why would I go back to the stone ages and get a wired connection when wireless is here? Here's why:

1) bandwidth
2) security
3) consistency

I'll come back to compare these. First, setting up the Netgear XAVB101 was a piece of cake. The XAVB101 kit comes with two adapters and two ethernet cables. I plugged one adapter directly into the wall near my computer.  From the adapter, I connected one ethernet cable to my PC.  With the second included netgear adapter, I plugged it into the wall power socket near my router/cable modem.  From it, I connected the ethernet cable to my router.

Done. I was able to browse the web, view my network shares from my computer as if I directly connected to the router via ethernet or wifi.  Since it's 10/100 ethernet technology, it's compatible with nearly every operating system including MAC, Windows and Linux.

Since I live in an apartment with neighbors, it's possible that someone else's electrical system is connected to mine. Thus, it's possible to interfere or connect to others with the same homeplug technology. This is where the encryption plays a role.  Each adapter is capable of storing a secure password and only connect to adapter which have the same password. The process is simple: hold one adapter's security button for 2 seconds, followed by doing the same on the second adapter. The same process can be performed on up to 10 adapters.

Netgear includes a disc manual and a software utility to browse and configure the adapters you own.  This software is very useful and includes features such as: change passwords, prioritize certain clients/protocols/vlans, turn off the LED's, and upgrade the firmware.  Turning off the LED's was a big plus for me as I have an adapter next to my TV.

Finally, going back to the bullet points above:

bandwidth -
across my 2 bedroom apartment:

Netgear's XAVB101 = 40-45mbps
802.11g wifi =12mbps
802.11n = 16-20mbps

When in closer proximity to my router/basestation:

Netgear XAVB101 = 60-70mbps
802.11g wifi = 20mbps
802.11n wifi = 64-100mbps

Pretty impressive especially at a distance.

security - both wireless and netgear's XAVB101 homeplug support encryption.  But i'd think it's less likely someone can physically plug into my home's power grid and break the encryption than snoop wifi packets surrounding my home.

consistency - Netgear XAVB101 is always on with little variance in latency and bandwidth.  When my computer comes out of sleep, boots or hibernates, the network connection is instantly on.  With Wifi, I tend to have some delay as access point is being connected to.  Overall, once connected, both wired and wireless have stable network connections.

power consumption is relatively low at 3-4watts.  If the computer is shutdown (ethernet is not connected), the Netgear adapter sleeps at around 1watt.

Driver Availability: Windows, Linux, and Mac

XAVB5001 Powerline Network Adapter Kit (XAVB5001)

XAVB5001 Powerline Network Adapter Kit (XAVB5001)

Extend your network - Extend Internet access throughout your home to any electrical outlet for desktop PCs, gaming consoles and set-top boxes Gigabit-...

Original Netgear Hdx101 Powerline Hd Ethernet Adapter

Original Netgear Hdx101 Powerline Hd Ethernet Adapter

new ORIGINAL NETGEAR HDX101 Powerline HD Ethernet Adapter new

Netgear A6200 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Network Adapter USB 2.0

Netgear A6200 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Network Adapter USB 2.0

The Netgear A6200 Wi-Fi Network Adapter delivers next generation Wi-Fi speeds and enables multiple HD video streams throughout your home simultaneousl...
Dell

Netgear Powerline 200 Nano/cpl200 Nano Xavb2101-100pas

Netgear Powerline 200 Nano/cpl200 Nano Xavb2101-100pas

computertogo12627 Store NETGEAR POWERLINE 200 NANO/CPL 200 NANO XAVB2101-100PAS NEW IN BOX PERFECT FOR CONNECTING SMART TV AND CONSOLES TO INTERNET AN...

NETGEAR Universal WiFi Range Extender

NETGEAR Universal WiFi Range Extender

The NETGEAR Universal WiFi Range Extender effectively doubles the operating distance of your entire wireless network.
Toys R Us

NETGEAR FA311 10-100 Network Interface Card (nic) Networking

NETGEAR FA311 10-100 Network Interface Card (nic) Networking

NETGEAR - NETWORK ADAPTER PCI EN FAST EN 10BASE-T 100BASE-TX (FA311). . IN STOCK.
Server Supply

Netgear (wnda4100-100nas) Wnda4100 - Network Adapter

Netgear (wnda4100-100nas) Wnda4100 - Network Adapter

Call us at 1-888-760-0300 About Us | Contact Us | Shipping Policy | Return Policy | FAQs NetGear WNDA4100 - network adapter This is a brand new unopen...

Netgear Wireless Usb Network Adapter Wna3100-100ens

Netgear Wireless Usb Network Adapter Wna3100-100ens

Netgear Wireless USB Network Adapter WNA3100-100ENS !! New in unopened box. Honest seller. Feel free to ask any questions. Pictures show actual item b...