Nve Stacker 2

Stacker 2 Stacks a Powerful Punch: Epehdra, Caffeine, and Aspirin

Feb 15, 2003 (Updated Apr 24, 2003)

Pros:Gave me energy, reduced fat, gained muscle. Didn't make me sick.

Cons:It can be very dangerous.

The Bottom Line: If you are going to use a fat burner, Stacker 2 works.

I am reviewing Stacker 2. If you told me 3 years ago I would be taking fat burners such as these I would have disagreed. I have talked with my doctor who has given me the ok, as along as I start slowly and do not use more than is recommended. Stacker 2, as well as any of the many on the market, should have your doctor’s approval.

What is Stacker 2?

Stacker 2 is made by NVE Pharmaceuticals. It is a product that guarantees you'll feel the effects in just 45 minutes. The company claims that one capsule can end food cravings, build muscle, burn fat and increase your energy level by boosting your metabolism.

Before the multitude of these products hit the market the 3 ingredients in them were called “The Stack.” That may have been a nickname after this product or this product was named for the stack of ingredients – Ephedra, caffeine and aspirin. When these are combined they do produce some powerful affects.

For some they may be safe, for others they are not. Hydroxycut made me sick. I like Xenadrine but after finishing my bottle and giving my body a rest I wanted to try something different. At $29.99 for 100 capsules the price of these fat burners has come down quite a bit from when they first hit the market.

In addition since I never used the maximum dose, I was able to use them for one month and now am taking a break and still have enough for another couple of weeks or more if I only take one a day.

Some of these products, such as Xenadrine are being made without Ephedra so they say. I haven’t tried them yet. They will work because they use Ephedra like ingredients, which I will say more about in a moment. Be careful also with marketing techniques. NVE is marketing Stacker 2 Lite for people who think Stacker 2 is too strong. If you look at Stacker 2 Lite you will see that it does contain the amount of Ephedra than Stacker 2. You will also note (look closely) that the recommended dose is twice that of Stacker 2 making it essentially the same product if you take the full dose.

Safety Issues:

There is some concern. You cannot buy this product if you are under 18 but that isn’t stopping kids from buying it. However in GNC, where I bought my bottle, the clerk told me she cards kids. It is interesting that on the bottle we are told that in Texas children 17 and older can buy the product so essentially if you are 17 rather than 18 and live near Texas you can go into Texas and buy Stacker 2. I am not suggesting you do that at all. It is just something I have noted. These products are basically speed, which is an illegal drug if purchased on the street.

The warnings on the bottle tells us not to use it if you are pregnant or nursing, have been treated for or have been diagnosed with high blood pressure, heart, liver, thyroid or psychiatric disease, diabetes, anemia, or nervousness. We are told not to use it if there are prostrate problems, a lot of headaches or a seizure disorder.

More warnings will be found at the end of the review.

Stacker 2 is double sealed to double the protection. It should be stored in a cool dry place with temperatures about 59 degrees to 77 degrees F.

Needless to say, kept this out of the reach of children.

What is in Stacker 2?

NVE Pharmaceuticals maintains that they share the belief of professional bodybuilders that a combination of Ephedrine, caffeine, and aspirin could cause the body to burn fat faster and more effectively. They say they use herbal ingredients "whose properties most closely approximate those found in Ephedrine, caffeine and aspirin which are: Ephedra, Kola Nut, and White Willow Bark. To become energized while sculpting your body they say they add Chromium Picolinate, the most biologically active form of Chromium available."

Stacker 2 contains Ephedra Extract (from leaves and stems supplying 25 mg. of ephedrine alkaloids); Kola Nut Extract from seeds, supplying 200 mg. of caffeine alkatoids); White Willow Bark and Chromium Picolinate.

White Willow Bark contains salicin, which the body converts to salicylic acid and has the same effect on the body as aspirin without any of the side effects. In fact, White Willow Bark was the basis for the synthesis of aspirin. (Essentially, Stacker 2 seems not to contain aspirin, but it does.)

Kola nut, (cola nitida), is a caffeine-containing nut of two evergreen trees of the cocoa family (Sterculiaceae), native to tropical North Africa and cultivated extensively in the New World tropics. Kola nut is not a supplement that should be taken without careful consideration as to its effects on the body. The FDA received more than 100 reports of injuries and adverse reactions related to a product containing Kola nut. (These last 2 paragraphs are from
www.healthandfitnessforums.com/white.html)

Chromium Picolinate is used as a fat burner and muscle builder. I take it as a separate supplement as well.

Other ingredients are Di Basic Calcium Phosphate, Stearic Acid, Magnesium Stearate, Activated Carbon Gelatin, FD&C Yellow #5.

I want to point out that in spite of Stacker 2 or other fat burners saying they are Ephedra free, look at them carefully if you do want to avoid Ephemera. Many products contain Ma Huang, an herbal form of Ephedra and act the same way. MaHuang is 6% ephedrine.

My experience and thoughts:

As I said I had a really bad experience with Hydroxycut. I do know that they now have a new formula that makes it possible to take fewer capsules than the original. I still would stay away from it but that was my bad experience. Like Xenadrine, I have never used the maximum amount of Stacker 2. The most I have used are 2 capsules in any one day, and most often I just use one. If I have a cup of regular coffee in the morning I will only take one capsule.

Stacker 2 and Xenadrine did burn fat, helped me lose weight and gain muscle. (I also eat using the point system of Weight Watchers way.) I am basing that on the way I look (I haven’t had a body fat analysis done in years.), the way my clothes fit me and what the scale showed. I am also basing that on visible muscle growth.

I like the fact that Stacker 2, for me, works even if I don't take the maximum dosage.

When I first started taking Stacker 2 my body had been free of the affects of “The Stack.” I noticed the feeling immediately. It is not unlike drinking several cups of coffee. There is an initial rush of energy and speeding up of your metabolism. I had no heart palpitations or any reactions that I saw as bad like I did with Hydroxycut. I don’t want to say I like speed, but it is nice if you are working out to have that extra push that allows me to lift a bit more, a bit heavier and a bit longer. Stacker 2 does allow me to do this.

Stacker 2 has never kept me awake. Although I do have more energy I don’t feel jittery or nervous. Perhaps the first day or two I felt a little jittery as I would if I had a lot of coffee, but that feeling went away after a couple of days.

I almost don’t want to say that I like Stacker 2, but I am reviewing it so I have to say something. I do like it. I am recommending it only for people who are going to take fat burners anyway. If you are not, then stay away from them and please, please, talk with your doctor before you take any kind of supplement; even any vitamin other than a multi vitamin. I hope this has helped. Feel free to leave me any questions or comments. By the way, I am a personal trainer and would never advise anyone to take Stacker 2 or anything similar and although I am recommending this, I am not suggesting it. Similar products include:

Xenadrine

Hydroxycut

Warnings:

Exceeding recommended serving may cause serious adverse side effects including heart attack and stroke. Discontinue use and call a physician or licensed health care professional immediately if you experience rapid heartbeat, dizziness, sever headache, shortness of breath, or other similar symptoms. Individuals who are allergic or hypersensitive to Ephedrine or Caffeine should avoid the use of this product. Individuals who consume caffeine with this product may experience serious adverse health effects. In case of accidental overdose, seek professional assistance or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.

Maximum recommended dosage of ephedrine for a healthy adult is no more than 100mg in a 24-hour period for not more than 12 weeks. Improper use of this product may be hazardous to a person's health.

Improper use of this product includes but is not limited to: use of the product other than as recommended, use of the product for more than 12 weeks, use of this product in combination with aspirin, any anti-coagulant (blood thinner), or any other ephedrine group alkaloid, or caffeine, or other ingredients that have a known stimulant effect. Products that have a stimulant effect may include prescription drugs or over-the-counter supplements and herbal or botanical products. Stop taking 2 weeks before surgery. Do not use with alcohol. Do not use if you have a history of drug use. Product not to be used by aspirin (salicin) sensitive individuals. Do not use during strenuous activity on high temperature conditions. Use only as directed. Do not use if imprinted seal under cap in broken.

Warnings are from the bottle, drugstore.com and the website.