NYC Browser Brush-on Brow Powder with Grooming Wax and Tweezers Reviews

NYC Browser Brush-on Brow Powder with Grooming Wax and Tweezers

Yes, Mommie Dearest, your eyebrows DO look natural - NYC Browser Brow Powder

Oct 2, 2006 (Updated Aug 28, 2007)

Pros:Inexpensive, works great, easy to use, a little goes a long way.

Cons:Can still overapply if you're heavy-handed.

The Bottom Line: I really, really like this product. My search for the right brow treatment is finally over. I love, love, love it. No more Joan Crawford brows for me.

Love, love, love it!

My brows look pretty good if I do say so myself. I've finally got the shape and the maintenance down to a science after years of fighting with them. A few years ago my stylist waxed them to a nice shape and as the little nubs grow in, I just pluck them out and voila - back to the original look. I just have to keep up on it and make sure to pluck the new growth once a week or so and I easily can maintain that just-stepped-out-of-the-salon look, sans the red puffy skin.

Dude, are you mad?
But the problem du jour is that my brows are fairly light compared to my hair color and also on the thin side. As a result, I feel that I need to darken and define them slightly to frame my eyes and face better. I've tried all kinds of products; gels, pencil, powder, you name it, but nothing has resulted in the look I want with ease of application. Eyebrow pencils just colored the skin under my brows which left me looking angry, like Joan Crawford. After two days of that look, my best friend asked me what I was so mad about for the last 2 days. Turns out it was just my overdone brows. Powders were just that; powdery, which just looked funny, like I had stick-on brows or something. The gels just made what I had stiff feeling.

Then came the day that I came here and happened upon Adamsjill's epinion about NYC Browser Brush-on Powder with Grooming Wax and Tweezers and knew I had to try it. It just sounded like the right combination of products to get the job done. So I nagged her about where to get me some and then eventually found it at Rite Aid for only $3.99. I've never tried anything in the NYC line and can't say I've even heard of it, but I easily found the display right there next to the Wet N Wild line.

About Browser
From newyorkcolor.com: N.Y.C. New York Color Browser Brush-On Brow Powder with Grooming Wax and Tweezers is your complete kit for beautiful brows! Makes the most of your eyebrows... with better than natural results. Long-lasting grooming wax holds hairs neatly in place for all day perfection... powder fills in bare spots... who can ask for more? Convenient drawer-style compact keeps you organized, travels well in purse or pocket.

Browser comes in a small plastic case that is about 2 x 3 inches and maybe a half inch thick. The case is enclosed in a soft plastic sleeve with a snap. The compact opens like a drawer. You just pull it open like a drawer to expose the applicator brush, tweezers, and the grooming wax and powder. The left side of the compact contains the grooming wax and the right side contains the colored powder. Browser is available in Blonde, Brunette, and Black.

It takes a steady hand
Creating the perfect brow is as easy as following the 3 steps printed on the back of the package. First, dip brush into the grooming wax, then mix lightly with brow powder. Using quick, short strokes, brush upward and outward over eyebrows to fill in color and add long-lasting hold. If needed, add extra color to sparse patches. Second, whisk away stray hairs between and underneath brows with the tweezers. Finally, Use the angled brow brush to brush hairs upward and outward.

It works!
This product works really well for me. I had intended to buy the brunette shade but when I compared the two at the store, I ended up with Blonde which turned out to be a good choice. Any darker and I'd look like The Joker which is definitely a step down from Joan Crawford and I was looking to step up, not look ridiculous.

I got the package home and removed it from the cardboard backing and fumbled with removing it from the soft plastic sleeve thing mentioned above. I'm honestly not sure what the purpose of the plastic sleeve/case thing is except perhaps to aggravate the user. It wraps very tightly around the case and actually adhered to it to the point that it was making me angry so I cut it off with scissors and threw it away. Neat idea, just too sticky and annoying.

Once I finally got the compact out of the sticky plastic thing, I opened the case to try the product. The drawer slid open easily but not so easily that it would slide open and get all ooky in purse or makeup bag. When closing it, there is a distinct, secure click that lets you know it's locked in place and should stay that way.

I followed the directions on the package, keeping in mind the challenges Adamsjill had, and had really good luck on my first try. I removed the little applicator brush from the compact and dipped it lightly into the wax and then brushed it lightly over the brow powder. The grooming wax is softer than I expected it would be. I expected it to be hard like Chap Stick but it's actually quite light and creamy, almost like a lip balm that you apply with your finger. As a result, there was more wax on the brush than intended so I scraped some of it off. The brow powder is also not what was expected. It is very creamy and soft.

I found that the easiest way to use Browser is to run the brush very lightly over the wax and powder, then to apply it to the thickest part of the brow and then feather it out lightly. Sometimes I get a little glob when I first start out but a brow brush or clean, dry old mascara brush does the job with smoothing things out and getting the glob out. Practice definitely makes perfect but the learning curve is short. It's really quite easy to use once you get the hang of it and looks nice and natural. My brows are nicely colored, filled in, and controlled all day until I wash the wax and color off. It washes off easily with makeup remover or facial wash. I can usually do both brows with one swipe over the wax and powder.

Well, it's not completely perfect
Now having said all those wonderful things about Browser, I do have a few things to gripe about. First is the tweezers. They're basically useless and I've already thrown them away. They are so teeny tiny that I couldn't get a good grip on them and my hand was in the way while trying to use them so I couldn't even see what I was doing. Anyone who regularly grooms their brows most likely has a good tweezer at home anyway so just pitch the little useless ones that come with this kit.

The only other complaint is that the brush is difficult to get out of the case. When you slide the drawer open, the brush is in a little crevice that is too deep and too skinny to reach down into to get ahold of the brush. The easiest way to get it out of there is to just turn the compact over so it plops out. That can be a bit messy if you have wax and/or powder still on the brush but, unless you have a spider monkey or hermit crab on hand to dig your eyebrow brush out of there, you're going to have to go with the flip and plop method. The brush itself is tiny as well but the size works well as it allows you to have complete control during application.

Now don't get me wrong; you can still end up looking like a scary clown if you use too much, apply it too heavily, or use too dark of a shade. You still have to be careful like you would with other products. But Browser is much more forgiving, easy to apply, and natural looking. This product is completely scentless.

Bottom line: I really, really like this product. My search for the right brow treatment is finally over. I love, love, love it. No more Joan Crawford brows for me.

NYC New York Color
www.newyorkcolor.com

Nyc Browser Brush-on Eye Brow Powder W/ Wax & Tweezers Blonde 875a (2 Pack)

Nyc Browser Brush-on Eye Brow Powder W/ Wax & Tweezers Blonde 875a (2 Pack)

NYC Browser Brush-On Eye Brow Powder W/ Wax Tweezers Blonde 875A (2 Pack)

(3 Pack) Nyc Browser Brush On Brow Kit - Brunette

(3 Pack) Nyc Browser Brush On Brow Kit - Brunette

NYC New York Color Browser Brush-On Brow Powder with Grooming Wax and Tweezers is your complete kit for beautiful brows! Makes the most of your eyebro...

N.y.c. Browser Brush-on Brow Powder With Grooming Wax & Tweezers Brow Powder...

N.y.c. Browser Brush-on Brow Powder With Grooming Wax & Tweezers Brow Powder...

This auction is for N.Y.C.New York Color Browser Brush-On Brow Powder with Grooming Wax and Tweezers # 875 A Blonde Please look at pics and ask any qu...

Nyc Browser Brush-on Brow Kit 876 Brunette New.

Nyc Browser Brush-on Brow Kit 876 Brunette New.

NYC BROWSER BRUSH-ON BROW KIT #876 BRUNETTE NEW.NEW AND SEALED.PRICE AND LISTING FOR ONE.EXACT ITEM IN PHOTOS.PLEASE SEE MY OTHER ITEMS.THANK YOU.

( Lot Of 4 ) Nyc Browser Brush-on Brow Kit 876 Brunette New.

( Lot Of 4 ) Nyc Browser Brush-on Brow Kit 876 Brunette New.

( LOT OF 4 ) NYC BROWSER BRUSH-ON BROW KIT #876 BRUNETTE NEW.YOU WILL RECEIVE 4 UNITS.ALL NEW AND SEALED.EXACT ITEM IN PHOTOS.PLEASE SEE MY OTHER ITEM...

50 Nyc Assorted Face Coverage Assorted Colors W1581

50 Nyc Assorted Face Coverage Assorted Colors W1581

NYC ASSORTED FACE COVERAGE IN THE BOX YOU RECEIVE:22 LIP GLOSSES 1 EYE SHADOWS 6 LIPSTICKS 2 MASCARAS 2 BRONZING POWDER 12 SPARKLE EYE DUST 2 BROWSER ...