-30%
Namaste Foods Vanilla Cake Mix -- 26 oz (Namaste) Reviews

Namaste Foods Vanilla Cake Mix -- 26 oz (Namaste)

+$5.95 shipping LuckyVitamin.com

Makes a pretty yummy gluten-free pumpkin cake!

Jan 12, 2011

Pros:Gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, tastes good, moist.

Cons:Can cost $6-$7 in stores, so it's not cheap.

The Bottom Line:

A great "base" gluten-free mix for pumpkin cake!

This brand, Namaste is one of my favorite brands of baking mixes for gluten-free desserts. Not all brands are the same, it's basically trial and error when it comes to gluten-free foods and baking mixes. Since Namaste makes one of our favorite gluten-free brownie mixes, I had to try this Vanilla Cake Mix. I basically bought it because I wanted to make pumpkin cake and needed a gluten-free mix to be able to do so and this fit the bill.

What I like about this mix is that it is not only gluten-free (and wheat-free), but also free of soy, nut, potato, corn, casein and dairy. Anyone with foodallergies or intolerances can now enjoy what everyone else enjoys, dessert! My son has multiple allergies, so I do have to keep an eye out for not only gluten-free mixes, but dairy-free and egg-free ones as well (not an easy feat). This also works for me since I can be sensitive to potato and I tell you they add potato starch or flour to almost every gluten-free baking mix out there.

I did not eat this mix on it's own, but over Christmas, I mixed in one can of organic pumpkin, some cinnamon, nutmeg, Splenda (to sweeten the pumpkin) and I had to put in my egg substitute for my son. I was worried that the egg substitution and adding the other ingredients would make it taste terrible, but I was wrong! I baked it up and all of the guests LOVED IT. They sort of turned up their noses at the sound of it, but everyone took a piece with some ice cream on the side and the next thing I knew everyone was having seconds and the cake disappeared.

This cake mix made a pretty moist cake. This cake isn't going to taste exactly like the cakes you are normally used to since it is gluten-free. Gluten-free cakes have a slightly different texture, but this is still good. Adding gluten and/or dairy-free frosting would be a delight for any child who has food allergies. It's easy to make, just follow the directions on the backside of the paper bag it comes in. You basically need oil, water and eggs (I use oil instead of butter for a dairy-free version). It fit perfectly in a 9 x 13 ceramic pan (glass is fine and I prefer glass or ceramic over metal when it comes to baking). The ingredients are; Evaporated cane juice, sweet brown rice flour, tapioca flour, arrowroot flour, rice-milk powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt, ground vanilla bean and xanthan gum. I don't love that sugar is basically the first ingredient, but I can overlook it since we don't eat cake that often. You can find this on Vitacost.com for $5.74 for about 16 servings.

Overall, this is a good gluten-free and dairy-free cake especially when you add pumpkin mix to it!

Namaste Foods Gluten Free Vanilla Cake Mix -26 oz. (737g) Namaste Foods has done it again, theirGluten Free Vanilla Cake Mix creates a moist and delic...
LuckyVitamin.com

Namaste Vanilla Cake Mix (6x26 Oz)