Nathanson Creek 1996 750ml Zinfandel White Wine

Sonoma Valley Surprise: Nathanson Creek White Zinfandel

Dec 8, 2007

Pros:Price, food compatibility

Cons:Lacks rich, creamy, texture, may be too sweet for some tastes, packaging

The Bottom Line: Flavorful, affordable, white zinfandel.

The Nathanson's were one of the founding families of the Sonoma Valley in California. The Nathanson Creek winery was established in 1997, named for the creek that flows through the Mayacamas Mountains in the lush valley. The Nathanson Creek family of wines are produced using the "soft press" method, which makes them sweeter, and less acidic than some other varieties. The Nathanson Creek label includes Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Sauvignon Blanc, White Zinfandel and Zinfandel.

In an attempt to widen my horizons, I had gotten away from my old standard, white zinfandel, trying different other wine varieties. Recently, however, I have decided to return to my original favorite, due to it's compatibility with a wide variety of foods. I was a bit surprised by the quality of this very affordable option.

Flavor and Characteristics

The Nathanson Creek White Zinfandel, is light in both color and texture, with a soft pink color and mellow flavor. It features a lightly floral scented, fruity bouquet. At 10.5 % alcohol by volume, it doesn't overpower the taste of food, and is a nice complement to poultry, fish, and, especially, all varieties of Italian dishes. It also makes a nice after dinner drink or apertif. I would not hesitate to recommend this wine to serve with holiday favorites such as turkey and ham. This wine retains it's sweet flavor without the bitter aftertaste that accompanies some varieties of white zinfandel, although it is not quite as rich and creamy as some other varieties such as the popularly priced alternative, Beringer. In fact, the taste may be bit too sweet for some drinkers, especially those who enjoy drier wines.

I would like to add one note of caution, regarding the packaging. The bottle is packaged with one of the new rubbery type corks that can be very difficult to remove with a standard corkscrew. It took me several attempts to uncork this bottle, which was a bit of an inconvenience.

Recommendation:

Although Nathanson Creek White Zinfandel lacks the rich, creamy, flavor of some wines in it's category, it is a good choice for a moderately priced (under $7.00) white zinfandel. It is a reasonable alternative for the bargain hunter, and a choice I would gladly offer to guests at my table during the holiday season.

Year: Non-Vintage
Price: 5.99
Wine Rating Scale: Drinkable

Ariel White Zinfandel Non-alcohol 750ml

Ariel White Zinfandel Non-alcohol 750ml

This wine is from United States, California region. Varietal Profile: > 75% California Zinfandel, < 25% blend Approximately 26 calories per 100 ml se...
Montevina White Zinfandel 2013 750ml

Montevina White Zinfandel 2013 750ml

This wine is from United States, California region. For more than 30 years, Montevina has produced award-winning White Zinfandel from premium Amador C...
Lake Sonoma 2009 Zinfandel Dry Creek Valley

Lake Sonoma 2009 Zinfandel Dry Creek Valley

West Coast Wine Competition, BRONZE, July 20122012 San Francisco Wine Competition, SILVER, June 20122012 Orange County Fair, SILVER, June 20122012 Cal...
ieWine by Napacabs

Beringer Vineyards White Zinfandel Culinary Collection 2013 750ml

Beringer Vineyards White Zinfandel Culinary Collection 2013 750ml

This wine is from United States, California region. ZINFANDEL Wine California Still Wine
Lake Sonoma Winery Zinfandel 2010 750ml

Lake Sonoma Winery Zinfandel 2010 750ml

This wine is from United States, California region, Sonoma County sub-region and Dry Creek Valley appellation. ZINFANDEL Wine California Still Wine
Beringer Vineyards White Zinfandel Moscato 2013 750ml

Beringer Vineyards White Zinfandel Moscato 2013 750ml

This wine is from United States, California region. MUSCAT BLANC A PETITS GRAINS^Z Wine California Still Wine
Ravenswood Zinfandel Lodi 2012 750ml

Ravenswood Zinfandel Lodi 2012 750ml

This wine is from United States, California region, Central Valley sub-region and Lodi appellation. This rich, round, full-flavored Zinfandel is drawn...
Jacob's Creek Shiraz Centenary Hill 2008 750ml

Jacob's Creek Shiraz Centenary Hill 2008 750ml

This wine is from Australia, South Australia region, Barossa sub-region and Barossa Valley appellation. SYRAH Wine Australian Still Wine
International Wine Shop