Natures Best Solid Protein Bar

Nature's Best Solid Protein Bar: It's a Solid Protein Bar but is it the Best?

Mar 17, 2003 (Updated Apr 24, 2003)

Pros:A lot of vitamins and minerals; good meal replacement bar; edible.

Cons:It isn't delicious.

The Bottom Line: If you are used to these high end bars, you may not mind the taste. It is a decent choice.

I am reviewing Nature’s Best Solid Protein Bar and to be more helpful in your decision I will compare it at the end with another high protein bar, WorldwidePure Protein Bar.

About Solid Protein:

One Solid Protein bar is 2.75 ounces. I paid $2.25 for each bar. They can be bought in bulk online for a bit less.

My review will be geared to Chocolate Mint. The flavors vary very slightly in their nutritional analysis. For example, there are 11 grams of carbohydrates in the Mint flavor but other flavors have 8. Note: The website shows 28 grams of carbohydrates, which is incorrect.

We are told to try these before our workout for more intense energy since it will give our cells the nutrient they need.

Solid Protein is collagen and gelatin free. The issue with both these items is that some collagen and gelatin is made with meat products or byproducts. Solid Protein contains neither so if you do not eat meat you can eat these.

According to the company both collagen and gelatin do not have an essential amino acid required to make them a complete and useful protein. "So on their own they're worthless sources of protein." With little or no nutritional value they decided to not put these ingredients in. We are told that this sets them apart from other bars and in spite of not having these 2 ingredients Natures Best can keep the bars soft and fresh. Since most bars have "protein blends" and some are a mystery it is difficult to know which ones do compete in terms of not putting collagen and gelatin in their bars.

These bars are 70% whey protein, 20% soy protein isolate and 10% milk protein isolate. We are told that each bar is filled with whey crisps to keep them crispier and crunchier. Each is coated with real Belgian chocolate.

At the end of the review I will leave information about protein which may help you when making a decision on what to buy.

What is in Solid Protein:

There are 290 calories 70 of which are from fat. There are 6 grams of fat, 5 of which are saturated.

There are 10 mg of cholesterol; 30 of sodium; 125 of potassium. There is less than 1 gram of fiber, 1 gram of sugar and the following analysis of vitamins and nutrients. (Please note again the website www.naturesbest.com is not correct if you go to look at it.)

You'll find:

Vitamin A 100%, Vitamin C 100%, Calcium 45%, Iron 50%, Thiamin 100%, Riboflavin 100%, Niacin 100%, Vitamin D 100%, Vitamin E 100%, Vitamin B6 100%, Folate 100%, Vitamin B12 100%, Phosphorus 35%, Iodine 100%, Magnesium 25%, Zinc 100%
Copper 100%, Pantothenic Acid 100%

Ingredients: Protein Blend (calcium caseinate, hydrolyzed protein concentrate), chocolate coating (contains: maltitol, salatrim, cocoa [may be processed with alkali], sodium caseinate, lecithin [an emulsifier], artificial flavors, acesulfame potassium), glycerine, water, maltitol, vanilla creme (contains: sugars, hydrogenated fat, soybean oil, polysorbate 80, BHT/BHA, natural and artificial flavors), natural flavors, vitamin and mineral blend (contains: dicalcium phosphate, magnesium oxide, vitamin A palmitate, ascorbic acid, vitamin E acetate, niacinamide, ferrous fumarate, zinc oxide, panthenic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, copper gluconate, cholecalciferol, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, biotin, potassium iodide, cyanocobalamin), potassium sorbate.

Solid Protein is designed as a snack or meal replacement. With 31 grams of protein and 11 grams of carbohydrates, for me this is a meal replacement bar. My requirements are about 60 grams of protein a day and 28 grams of carbohydrates. These are approximate numbers. I would consider this a meal replacement bar for the average person. Body builders are eating much more protein than even this bar will give them, but it makes for a decent snack.

Flavors:

Cherry Vanilla, Chocolate, Chocolate Raspberry, Cookie Dough, Cookies & Cream, Honey Almond, Peanut Butter Smores

Its taste and what it does for me:

I don’t use this bar before working out. I eat it afterward. I find it gives me a decent amount of energy and has enough protein that if I have to skip a meal, this will last me for a couple of hours. This is a big bar. I can say with certainty that it doesn't taste like
Slim Fast Bars
which are delicious.

The wrapper is easy to open and you’ll find that is slightly separated down the middle making it easy to pull it apart or cut it in half. The Chocolate Mint is coated in a thick chocolate. I have had real Belgium chocolate (from the country) and this isn't even close, though it is chocolate. The inside is an off white color and looks like nougat. I have never tasted anything whey crispy in the bars.

It is slightly chewy but not chewy like some of the original Power Bars are. The mint flavor in the Chocolate Mint is strong enough to overpower, to some degree, the bitter taste and aftertaste the bar leaves. I’ve said in many reviews that whey is not a delicious tasting substance. I’ve reviewed products with a lot of sugar and the addition of sugar has not made a difference in the taste. The lack of sugar in Solid Protein is a plus in my opinion but if I thought adding some sugar would enhance the taste I would take a few more grams of sugar.

It is edible; it is just not delicious. It tastes like many of the high-end meal replacement bars taste. I eat it very slowly so it lasts me a long time, which is a plus.

There are so many bars on the market that it is hard to know what to buy and it does depend on what you want. If you want a candy bar with vitamins, have a Slim-Fast Bar. If you want a nutritious bar that will replace some of what you lost with your workout, then give this a try.

Solid Protein has more protein, more carbohydrates, similar fat and sugar content than
Worldwide Pure Protein Bar
. I paid $1.99 for that 50 gram bar versus $2.25 for 78 grams of Solid Protein. Solid Protein also has larger amounts of vitamins and minerals. The taste of the two is about equal. On a scale of 1 – 10, 10 being a candy bar, then I’ll give Solid Protein a 5 for taste. It is filling and I feel satisfied for a couple of hours or 3 when I will eat again.

My final thoughts:

A year ago I recommended Worldwide Pure Protein Bar. There are many similarities. I am certainly recommending Solid Protein. This bar is not for everyone though and certainly only for adults. If you are not in the market for a meal replacement bar, there are other bars on the market that you will enjoy as a snack better. Surprising there are many Power Bars I like. One which I recommend as a good snack food is Power Bar Pria.

Feel free to e-mail me with any questions about this product.

**********************************************
Protein has a number of important roles in the body, including repairing body cells, building and repairing muscles and bones and providing a source of energy.

Whey proteins are high quality and nutritious dairy proteins.

Whey protein isolate is the purest form of whey protein and contains between 90 to 95% protein. It contains little (if any) fat or lactose.

Whey protein concentrate is available in a number of different types based upon the protein content of the product, which can range between 25%-89%. It will contain some lactose, fat, and minerals. As the protein level increases the amount of lactose decreases.

Hydrolyzed protein concentrate is a process of breaking down the protein chains into smaller segments called peptides by hydrolisis. Hydrolyzed whey protein is more easily digested and has a reduced potential for allergic reactions versus non-hydrolyzed whey protein. The quality of the protein, however, remains very high. Sports nutrition products and infant formulas often use hydrolyzed whey protein for these reasons. A recent clinical study also found that a specific type of hydrolyzed whey protein was helpful in lowering blood pressure.

Whey protein is a dairy protein and comes from cow's milk. It does not come from animal flesh. In the United States whey protein is a by-product of the cheese making process and in most cases a microbial type of rennet is used in the manufacturing process. Whey protein is acceptable for any vegetarian diet that allows dairy products including lacto-ovo, lacto, and ovo types of vegetarian diets."

Calcium Caseinate is a high quality milk protein product manufactured from fresh pasteurized skimmed milk through acid precipitation of the casein followed by neutralization and drying.