Naval Jelly Rust Dissolver 8 oz (81756)

A fascinating look at Naval Jelly Rust Dissolver

Apr 25, 2008 (Updated Apr 25, 2008)

Pros:heavy duty product for getting rid of rust. It does work.

Cons:be careful when using it!

The Bottom Line: This is an effective product to have on hand if you have items that tend to get rusty.

You may not ever have to use Naval Jelly Rust Dissolver, but then again, if you have something you value that has gotten rusty, this is the product to look for. The name struck me as kind of funny, but maybe that's just me.

We found out about this product Naval Jelly Rust Dissolver because my son had left his bicycle outside and uncovered for several weeks (or months!). We live very close to the Pacific Ocean and the salty air did it's damage to his bicycle surprisingly quickly. (We don't have a garage because we live in a tiny condominium and only have a carport.) Actually, the Naval Jelly worked quite well when he decided that he wanted to clean his bike up and then sell it. My son said he wished it looked even better, but I thought it was a great improvement overall. He quickly found a buyer who was satisfied with the looks and clean appearance of the bike, thanks to Naval Jelly.

Make sure you use gloves when using Naval Jelly Rust Dissolver. This product is only to be used on metal surfaces. The first thing to do is to scrape off any loose rust and any dirt residue before you begin to apply the Naval Jelly. Brush or wipe the Naval Jelly on liberally, working especially into the pitted areas. This is what my son and I did. We used an old rag to wipe it onto the handlebars and other areas that did not have paint on them. If you accidentally get it on a painted surface, wipe it off immediately because it will remove paint! Leave this product on for 5-10 minutes to effectively remove the rust. Then rinse off with fresh water. Repeat if any rust remains. You can leave it on longer if the object is heavily rusted, but if it is left on too long, it will harden. You can apply more Naval Jelly to remove any that has become hardened. Just so you know, this product does not stop rust from coming back after you've used it. But after you clean the rust off, you may choose to protect the surface with a clear protective coating of paint. But it is best to do this within 24 hours. Naval Jelly does not claim to provide long term protection, but it is a good fix, even if it is only a temporary one. (My son has a new bike now, which he is keeping covered to try to help protect it better from the salty air and rust.)

The color is an opaque, bright pink and has the consistency of shampoo, not too thick or too thin, which could be why it's called "Jelly". Be careful to get plenty of air around you when using this product because it is known to have a respiratory and eye irritant. Make sure you wear gloves too. I didn't find the smell to be very strong, but I also didn't take deep whiffs of it either. It smelled rather "industrial" like a chemical to me.

Naval Jelly Rust Dissolver has been trusted since 1966.

Other ideas on where NAVAL JELLY works well: This product can remove rust from metal surfaces only, such as iron railings, automobiles, patio furniture tools, antiques, mail boxes, lawn mowers, bicycles, lamp posts.

Warning: This product is to be used only on metal, steel or iron. Do not use it on aluminum, chrome, cement, fiberglass or plastic.

This product contains phosphoric acid.

Keep out of the reach of children and make sure the screw on cap is on tight. Look for the white plastic bottle with the deep pink label. Can be purchased at hardware stores or Home Depot, Lowe's and the like.

Henkel Consumer Adhesives, Inc.
32150 Just Imagine Drive
Avon, OH 44011
1-800-321-0253

www.loctiteproducts.com

~thanks for reading~

©gkm.

Loctite Naval Jelly Rust Dissolver - 16 oz.

Loctite Naval Jelly Rust Dissolver - 16 oz.

Six - 16 oz. bottles per carton. Sold per carton only. Ships within 3 to 5 business days.
BuyMBS.com

Loctite 16 fl. oz. Naval Jelly Rust Remover (6-Pack) 553472

Loctite 16 fl. oz. Naval Jelly Rust Remover (6-Pack) 553472

Shop for Cleaning at The Home Depot. Loctite Naval Jelly Rust Dissolver is the original rust treatment formula that has been used for over 25 years. I...
Home Depot