Neosporin Packets

Neosporin and Wound Care

Jun 29, 2000 (Updated Jun 29, 2000)

Pros:Kills the germs and promotes healing

Cons: None!

This review is not only on Neosporin but on total wound care. Neosporin plays a vital role and is excellent in killing the bacteria that might cause a wound to become infected. I have used Neosporin from everything scrape to a large gapping wound and it works wonderfully and speeds
up the healing process.

Neosporin is a triple antibiotic formula. The one I prefer is Neosporin Maximum Strength plus Pain Relief. It contains three antibiotics plus a pain reliever. Which are Polymyxin B Sulfate-Bacitracin Zinc, Neomycin Sulfate and Pramoxine Hydrochloride.

Treating The Wound

It is important that you treat the wound immediately. If the wound is large and gapping you will want to get to a doctor as soon as possible. If it is bleeding profusely apply pressure using gauze or what ever you have to stop the bleeding and seek medical attention. I will discuss how
to treat a large wound later in this review.

If the wound is relatively minor you can treat it your self. Make sure you clean the wound with either Hydrogen Peroxide,Saline Solution or Benedine Solution. Gently pat dry with with gauze.Depending on the size of the wound will determine the bandage or dressing that you will use. For smaller wounds usually a adhesive bandage will surfice. Just apply a little Neosporin to the gauze part of the bandage. Change bandage once a day. It may take 5 to 7 days to complete the healing process.

If you are allergic to adhesive bandages there are some great products out there! First, use a good absorbent gauze. I prefer Kerlix Brand. You can cut these to fit the size of the wound. Apply the Neosporin to the dressing. Then use a product like Johnson and Johnson's self-adhereing bandages to wrap around the gauze. I like this product because it does not stick to your skin and holds the dressings in place. This works very well with hard to bandage areas and large wounds.

If you have a large wound or a constant hard to heal wound you will need to make many dressing changes sometimes several a day. I always re-apply the Neosporin at every dressing change. Washing and Cleaning of these types of wounds is something you should ask your doctor . This is what a wound care nurse told me " Use Hibiclens ( Can be found over the counter) to gently clean the wound, this kills the bad microbial germs that can infect the wound, read the directions on the bottle. After washing pat the area dry and apply the Kerlix dressing and Neosporin to the wound." You can use tape to secure the bandage or use the product in the
above paragraph. She also stated that Wound Care Centers are using more moist dressings because the healing time is quicker and there tends to be less scaring. The Neosporin helps to keep the area moist.If the wound is deep and gaping you might need to have the wound packed or it might need to drain excess blood first before using the Neosporin treatments.

If you wonder why I know so much about dressings and bandages it is because I suffer from a cystic sweat gland disorder that can leave massive wounds. I have searched everywhere because I am allergic to the adhesives on Band-Aids. If you suffer from a problem like this and need help finding the products feel free to email me anytime at scniel@pdq.net.

In Conclusion
Every doctor I have ever been to has recommended Neosporin to help heal a wound. But what matters to me is it works and it works great! Don't forget to always consult your doctor if you have a wound that is not healing properly.

Neosporin¬ Antibiotic Ointment, .031oz Packet, 144/Box

Neosporin¬ Antibiotic Ointment, .031oz Packet, 144/Box

Neosporin Antibiotic Ointment, .031oz Packet, 144/Box
Antibiotic Ointment, .031Oz Packet, 144/Box

Antibiotic Ointment, .031Oz Packet, 144/Box

Product Information: Provides long-lasting protection against infection and may help minimize the appearance of scars. Capacity (Weight): 0.031 oz; Pa...
Antibiotic Ointment, .031oz Packet, 144/Box

Antibiotic Ointment, .031oz Packet, 144/Box

Provides long-lasting protection against infection and may help minimize the appearance of scars. Capacity (Weight): 0.031 oz; Packing Type: Packets; ...