Netgear N600 300 Mbps 4-Port Gigabit Wireless N Router (WNDR3700) Reviews

Netgear N600 300 Mbps 4-Port Gigabit Wireless N Router (WNDR3700)

Feature rich and simple to use

Feb 21, 2010 (Updated Feb 28, 2010)

• Ease of Installation:

Pros:flawless simultaneous 2.4ghz and 5.0ghz operation. simple menu options and setup.

Cons:very pricey. some features might not be practically useful...

The Bottom Line: if you absolutely need simultaneous 2.4/5.0ghz, then this might be good. However, there are much cheaper alternatives

I bought the Netgear WNDR3700 Wireless Router as a replacement for my aging WRT54GL. I wanted to get better throughput from my NAS and faster computer-computer connections.  The WNDR3700 acts like two wireless routers (2.4ghz and 5.0ghz) and supports four gigabit ethernet devices.

I have 3 computers in my home that all support 802.11n in both 2.4 and 5.0 Ghz frequencies, a 802.11g wireless print server, and a wired NAS with gigabit ethernet. There's over a dozen of my neighbor's wireless access points visible within my home and that's causes slow performance for my 802.11g 2.4Ghz router.

After physically replacing my old wireless router with the WNDR3700 and rehooking the cables from my cable modem and NAS drive, I was able to successfully surf the internet and browse my NAS share.  That was easy! However, no wireless security was setup at this point and this is usually the most difficult part.

The WNDR3700 supports web-based administration: just put 192.168.1.1 in a web browser and configure away.  I was surprised how simple Netgear made the interface especially in light the many features of this router.  Because my wireless printer doesn't support 5Ghz or 802.11n, it was necessary for me to setup one access point specifically for this.

For all my other computers, I easily configured the WNDR3700 to the highest performing mode of 300mbps.  However, in my performance tests, the actual speed is somewhat faster than a wired 100mbps ethernet.  Still impressive considering my previous 802.11g network, I could only get about 1/5 of this speed.

The WNDR3700 slightly improved on range over my previous wireless router.  I think I was getting 80% signal over 60% through 4 walls about 50 feet distance.

Other really useful features include 2 guest networks which can be configured to allow only internet access preventing guests from using my print server or even seeing/communicating with other computers on my network.

Another feature is the ability to monitor and block internet access after a certain number of bytes have been received/transmitted through my ISP.  This is pretty useless for me since my ISP's limit is way more than I can surf.

The WNDR3700 also supports hosting a usb drive as a shared drive across all computers connected to the network. I tried this feature with a thumb drive and it worked as advertised.  Basically, the router added another computer to the network which has it's data (the thumb drive) shared. The speed was plenty fast for documents and music.

I felt the price of this router was high. If I stopped using my print server (legacy 802.11g), I would not have a need for simultaneous radio (2.4ghz and 5.0 ghz) operation.  2.4ghz is overcrowded these days and I would simply turn that off if not needed.  There are many sub-$100 routers which support 5.0ghz.

Driver Availability: Don''t Know

If you want to create a small network of computers with high-speed Internet access in homes or small offices, then the NetGear WNDR3700 router might j...

Dual-band Wireless-N router provides outstanding speed and performance for serious gamers, enthusiasts, and small businessesSimultaneous operation on ...
NETGEAR RangeMax WNDR3700 - Wireless router - 4-port switch - Gigabit LAN - 802.11 a/b/g/n (draft 2.0) WNDR3700-100NAS
RangeMax WNDR3700 Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router offers twice the bandwidth with better connection and less interference. ReadyShare provides fas...
Netgear Wndr3700-100nas, Wndr3700-100nas Rangemax Wndr3700 Dual Band Wireless-n Gigabit Router, Upc: 0606449061314
Our Store About Us View All Listings Feedback Policies Contact Us Bookmark Us View Our Deals NETGEAR Wireless Router N600 Dual Band Gigabit WNDR3700 C...