Nicoderm CQ Patch

88 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: Very Good

NicoDerm CQ HELL

Feb 25, 2001

Pros:Takes the nicotine craving away and is easy to use

Cons:Read my opinion to find out what the cons were for me!!

The Bottom Line: Consult your physician BEFORE using NicoDerm and stop using it if any of the symptoms described on the back of the box occur.

I have been a 2-pack-a-day smoker for 35 years!! Yes, I am slowly committing suicide!! I desperately want to quit smoking. I have tried several different smoking cessation
methods.

I have tried to quit cold turkey.....and.....I couldn’t do it. I have tried hypnosis.....and.....it didn’t work. I have tried Nicorette gum.....and.....it made me so dizzy I couldn’t stand up straight and felt nauseated from the dizziness.....it didn’t work.
I tried the pill (Wellbutrin 500 mg per day) which is an antidepressant and made me so jittery I couldn’t hold a pen steady enough to write with....it didn’t work. I even tried the water method where you drink water until your stomach is sloshing around and you feel like you’re drowning.....and.....nope.....it didn’t work.

Six months ago I decided to try “the patch.” I chose NicoDerm CQ. Why did I choose NicoDerm CQ you ask? Well, that’s easy to answer. I chose it because it offers a
24 hour patch. You see, as soon as I open my eyes in the morning I crave a cigarette. I jump out of bed and run right for the pack and start my day puffing away like a freight train. I figure that if I didn’t have that eye opening craving I could beat the addiction and habit. NicoDerm CQ is the nicotine transdermal system which delivers nicotine to your body over a 24 hour period.....and it does take away that eye opening craving.

NicoDerm CQ offers three different steps. Step 1 is for us heavy smokers (10 or more cigarettes a day). It is a 21 mg patch. Step 2 is for moderate smokers (10 or less
cigarettes a day) and is a 14 mg patch. And Step 3 is for light smokers and is a 7 mg patch. I chose Step 1 because I smoked, on average, 20 cigarettes per day.

If you are a heavy smoker like me, this is how NicoDerm works.....

You start off with Step 1, the 21 mg patch. You use one patch per day for 6 weeks. I started the first patch at night before I went to bed so I would wake up in the morning without the craving. I changed the patch every night before I went to bed. You can start at the time of day or night that you prefer.

On week 7 you go to Step 2, the 14 mg patch. You use Step 2 for 2 weeks.

On week 9 you go to Step 3, the 7 mg patch. You use Step 3 for 2 weeks.

So, you are wearing the patch for a total of 10 weeks and “presto-chango” on week 11
you are a non-smoker!!

Not so for me!!

*****NOTE***** Do not use this method without consulting your physician first!!

Here is how the NicoDerm CQ patch worked for me.....

After reading all the WARNINGS on the back of the box I put the first patch on at night before I went to bed. One of the warnings on the back of the box says: When using
this product if you have vivid dreams or other sleep disturbances remove this patch at bedtime. Vivid dreams??? HaHa!! That’s not the word for it!! It was vivid dream hell!! I usually never remember my dreams, but with this patch not only did I remember them. I had more dreams in one night than I can remember for a lifetime. But I figured I could live with 8 hours of continuous dreaming per night. I didn’t have any nightmares and
some of the dreams were actually GREAT ones!!

I continued with Step 1, dreams galore. After 2 weeks the patch left square red marks on my skin that stayed red for days. But I wasn’t smoking. And I could actually breath easier after only 2 weeks of non-smoking. I wasn’t getting daily headaches anymore. I wasn’t in daily pain from smoking. My feet and hands weren’t freezing anymore from circulation problems due to smoking. I had more energy and felt pretty darn good. Of course, I had the occasional urge to smoke, but that was easy to handle. At first the urges were quite frequent. I did find myself stuffing as much food in my mouth as I could get
in it for 16 hours a day. During the first 2 weeks of using the patch I gained 8 pounds. So I got a HUGE jar of dry roasted peanuts and every time I had the urge to cram food down my throat I popped one peanut in my mouth and chewed it into peanut butter. It helped.

But what would I do about those square red marks the patch was leaving on my skin? I consulted my physician. She told me I was probably allergic to the adhesive in the
patch. She said that I could continue using the patch if I didn’t mind the square red marks. So I continued.

On week 4 of using NicoDerm CQ I developed what appeared to be a cold sore on my lip. I thought I was coming down with a virus. I used some cold sore medication and it went away. And I felt healthier than I had felt in a long time!! And best of all, I hadn’t smoked in 4 weeks!! Now that was a miracle.

On week 5 I woke up with blisters all over my lips. I went back to my physician. She took one look at me and told me to stop using the patch immediately. I followed her
advice.

After removing the patch I was wearing I didn’t smoke for another week. Then the cravings started coming back and I started “taking a puff” here and there. One puff led to two, and so on and so forth, until I was smoking regularly again. The blisters on my lips went away after a week.

I never made it to Step 2, but I’m down to one pack a day. I did save money for the few weeks that I did use NicoDerm CQ. Step 1 cost $48 for a two week kit. Smoking
cost $80+ for a two week period.

NicoDerm CQ didn’t work for me!!

American Drug Supply Store
NicoDerm CQ Patches Clear 21mg Step 1 - 14 count

NicoDerm CQ Patches Clear 21mg Step 1 - 14 count

Find habit treatment at Target.com! The nicoderm cq step 1 clear patch helps you slowly quit smoking. It looks like an adhesive bandage and easily sti...

NicoDerm CQ Step 1 Clear Patch, 21mg, 7ct

NicoDerm CQ Step 1 Clear Patch, 21mg, 7ct

This product may be FSA eligible. Please check with IRS Pub. 502 for Eligibility

Nicoderm Cq Patches Clear 21mg Step 1 - 7 Count

Nicoderm Cq Patches Clear 21mg Step 1 - 7 Count

Powered by Frooition Pro in titles description NicoDerm CQ Patches Clear 21mg Step 1 - 7 count Product Specifications:Package Quantity: 7 Number of Pi...

Nicoderm Cq Step 3 Clear Patch  7 Mg  2-week Kit (14 Patches)

Nicoderm Cq Step 3 Clear Patch 7 Mg 2-week Kit (14 Patches)

NEW NicoDerm CQ Step 3 Clear Patch 7 mg 2-Week Kit (14 patches) NO SALES TAX JUST IN TIME FOR HOLIDAY SHOPPING Enojy free standard shipping with no mi...

NicoDerm CQ Patches Clear 14mg - Step 2 - 14 count

NicoDerm CQ Patches Clear 14mg - Step 2 - 14 count

Find habit treatment at Target.com! The nicoderm cq step 2 clear patch is a stop-smoking aid suitable for those who smoke less than 10 cigarettes a da...

Nicoderm CQ Stop Smoking Aid Patch, Step 2, 14ct

Nicoderm CQ Stop Smoking Aid Patch, Step 2, 14ct

Nicoderm Cq Step 3 Clear Patch, 7 Mg, 2-week Kit (14 Patches)

Nicoderm Cq Step 3 Clear Patch, 7 Mg, 2-week Kit (14 Patches)

NicoDerm CQ Step 3 Clear Patch, 7 mg, 2-Week Kit (14 patches)Features Offers 24-hour defense against nicotine cravings Patented SmartControl technolog...

Nicoderm® Cq® Clear Step 2 - 14mg

Nicoderm® Cq® Clear Step 2 - 14mg

Step 2 Starter Kit If you smoke 10 or less cigarettes per day What is the NicoDerm CQ Patch and How is it used?Nicoderm CQ is a small, nicotine-contai...