Nicorette Gum

If it wasn't for Orange flavored Nicorette, I'd be smoking again already - UPDATED 12/14/06

Jan 7, 2002 (Updated Jan 14, 2012)

Pros:New Orange Flavor is much better than the original dirt flavorings!

Cons:All other flavors other than orange were discusting to me!

The Bottom Line: Nicorette is KEEPING ME OFF OF CIGARETTES, and I WILL CONTINUE NOT SMOKING BY USING THIS PRODUCT. STILL NOT SMOKING 5 years later!!!

*** 10 YEARS I'VE BEEN SINCE i'VE QUIT ***  I SWEAR BY THIS ARTICLE!!!

***THIS ARTICLE IS ON NICORETTE GUM - IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THE PATCH - LOOK UP MEMBER JBDUCKLING FOR HIS PERSONAL SUCCESS USING THE PATCH VS GUM***

If you've ever made it to the point where you have gone COLD TURKEY in quitting smoking, you know that you need a crutch of some sort. Whether it be fresh carrots, celery, nicotine gum, nicotine patches, or chewing on the tree in your back yard, you need something. I decided to use the box of Nicorette that I had in my medicine cabinet.

Which product did I purchase?

I HAVE PURCHASED THE NICORETTE (nicotine polacrilex gum, 2mg)for those who smoke less than 25 cigarettes a day.***IF YOU SMOKE MORE THAN 25 CIGARETTES A DAY - YOU SHOULD PURCHASE 4MG NICORETTE GUM. I smoked one pack (20 cigarettes) a day on usual. So I selected the refill pack which contained 48 pieces of gum.

How are you supposed to use this product?

You are supposed to use this product as a "stop smoking" weaning product. You are supposed to use this for a 12 week program where the first 6 weeks you use one piece of this gum every one/two hours; weeks 7 - 9 one piece every two/four hours; weeks 10-12 1 piece every 4/6 hours. You are gradually weaning yourself off of nicotine with this gradual step down - by spacing out the time. You are supposed to use this "gum" in the following manner: Chew gum slowly until it tingles - then put it between your cheek and teeth and leave it there until your tingle is gone. Repeat until all Nicotine is released from gum signaled by "no more tingle". Then dispose of chewed product.

Would this work for me?

THERE ARE ONLY 48 PIECES OF GUM IN THIS PARTICULAR BOX THAT I'VE PURCHASED, AND I'D RIP RIGHT THROUGH THIS ENTIRE BOX THE FIRST WEEK IF I FOLLOWED THIS PLAN. I'M USING THIS ON AN AS NEEDED BASIS...I WENT COLD TURKEY WITHOUT CIGARETTES, AND AM USING THIS PRODUCT ONLY WHEN I FEEL I'M GOING TO GO AND BUY MORE CANCER STICKS... I chew the gum until I get that first "tingle", and feel I am satisfied and spit it out. Other times (high stress), I chew it as instructed until I have released all nicotine. I'm doing it about 50/50 now, but I know this will get better in ratio as days pass...less chewing!

***NOTE: I was smoking one pack a day - 20 "100's" cigarettes which are longer than standard "regular" cigarettes which are shorter in length. So each cigarette I was smoking was approximately 2mg of tar each. Nicorette gum squares are 2mg of nicotine in each individual piece, and I've had AT MOST six pieces a day at critical times when I am most at need. I've cut down to 1/3 the nicotine my body was used to just within 5 1/2 days with the help of Nicorette!

Precautions stated on the box:

#1 NO-NO : DO NOT SMOKE, CHEW TOBACCO, USE SNUFF, OR USE A NICOTINE PATCH OR OTHER NICOTINE CONTAINING PRODUCTS WITH NICORETTE!!! YOU COULD HAVE SERIOUS HEALTH DANGERS!!!

#2: Use of prescription drugs for smoking reduction; depression, or experience problems with nausea, vomiting, dizziness, weakness and rapid heartbeat - DISCUSS OPTIONS WITH YOUR DOCTOR OR PHARMACIST BEFORE USING THIS PRODUCT WITH ANY MEDICATION OR IF YOU ENCOUNTER ANY SIDE EFFECTS DURING USE. ****SEE BOX FOR FURTHER PRECAUTIONS AS I DID NOT COVER ALL AS NOT TO REPEAT EXACT WORDS ON THE BOX****

Have Questions? Contact the manufacturer:

SMITHKLINE BEECHAM CONSUMER HEALTHCARE, L.P.
PITTSBURGH, PA 15230
CALL TOLL FREE: 1-800-419-7466 (weekdays 10:00am - 4:30pm EST)

Why did I originally buy this product?

Well to be honest, it was on sale - 48 pieces for the same price as the starter box which has less in it (don't exactly remember how many pieces were in the starter box). I bought the new flavor of Orange because I knew it had to be better than chewing the original flavor which was comparable to smelling manure in taste. Bad - almost made me sick! So with the new Orange flavor, I figured why not!

When did I use this product first?

Terrible to say that I first used this product at my husband's company picnic where I had hid from everyone that I was a smoker. I went into the parking lot to have a cigarette, and sprayed my hair and body with a scent to cover the smoke smell. When I couldn't sneak off, I chewed Nicorette. Terrible wasn't it? Just to get that nicotine fix - shows how mentally I was addicted to smoking.

What made me use it for quitting instead of "fixing"?

I decided that I was sick of hiding in my bedroom with an exhaust fan to have a cigarette when there were kids in the house. I was hiding everywhere from everyone - becoming a cigarette hermit. I had to make a change. I didn't want to be like this forever - life if too short. Anyhow on January 2 2002, I destroyed my remaining cigarettes and told myself I was done - permanently! I started to have mental and physical withdrawal symptoms shortly after I went cold turkey. I didn't know what to do with myself - so I pulled out the Nicorette.

*** I KNOW THAT IF I DID NOT USE THESE PRODUCT, I'D HAVE GONE BACK TO SMOKING WITHIN THE FIRST THREE DAYS!! HOW DO I KNOW?

I went to the local deli to purchase an after school snack for my daughter and there were smokers actively puffing in there. I was drooling like a dog, and couldn't get home fast enough. I put one 2mg piece of gum in my mouth and chewed it until I felt the tingle, and told myself I can quit without going back - AND I HAVEN'T. I mentally feel that I am getting what I need to prevent me from physically smoking. My brain is telling my body that I don't need the cigarettes because I'm getting my nicotine from my gum. Mind over body!

What is my overall feeling on this product?

I KNOW that I would be smoking already if I didn't have this product to help me Mentally & Physically during the roughest withdrawal times. I will use this item as a crutch, and eventually switch to regular gum to continue the chewing action once I feel that I can go without the nicotine released by this product.

FINAL THOUGHT:

Nicorette is KEEPING ME OFF OF CIGARETTES, and I WILL CONTINUE NOT SMOKING BY USING THIS PRODUCT. I WILL REMAIN A NON-SMOKER BECAUSE I HAD NICORETTE TO HELP ME THROUGH! THANK YOU SMITHKLINE BEECHAM!

UPDATE 02/08/02 - I'm still smoke free since January 2nd. I can say that I still want the physical movement of smoking, but when the cravings hit, I pop a piece of orange nicorette, and I DO NOT SMOKE! I have the crutch of the nicorette to get me through the worst times. I chew 1 -3 pieces of this gum a day depending on how bad I want to smoke. I'm averaging one a day now which turns out to be 2MG which is equivalent to ONE CIGARETTE! Still not smoking, and hoping to be off the Nicotene gum within the next month - AGAIN! THANK YOU SMITHKLINE BEECHAM FOR HELPING ME IN STAYING A NON-SMOKER OVER A MONTH LATER!!! SMOKE FREE AND SMELLING GREAT!!!!

UPDATE 02/17/02 - I'm still smoke free!!!!!!! Nicorette is still my crutch that has helped me get through some really rough times. Just carrying one piece on MY PERSON is enough when I feel I just want to have one smoke to see if my my "old" best friend is missing me as much as I'm missing it (mentally). It's almost 7 weeks now, and I'm taking one piece of gum every other day if needed. I'm on my third refill box (48ct) and have a half of a box left, and am confident this is my last box IF I FINISH IT AT ALL.
I am feeling better physically, but do occasionally mentally crave the movement of smoking - like when watching a movie or seeing someone smoking...I miss my old friend, but find that I am not hiding in the house/car/or outside in the alley anymore... I am feeling more confident as a person as not feeling as a "leper smoker" that I once felt about myself while smoking. I have PROMISED myself that I would not be a REFORMED SMOKER that would criticize others as I was PREACHED at by others who used to verbally attack me and turned me off ot wanting to quit smoking - RATHER I WILL BE a support system for those who want to know the truth of how hard it is to kick this habit, but the method of TRUE SUCCESS OF ACTUALLY REMAINING A NON-SMOKER. I am VERY confident that NICORETTE has gotten me this far!

UPDATED 10/11/02 - I was off/on nicorette for about four months total. I always kept some on me just incase I couldn't go without it. It was like carrying a quarter just in case you need the phone. I eventually gave all of my nicorette to a friend who wanted to quit smoking. She wasn't ready yet, and hasn't quit - but when she's ready, I'll buy her a box of Nicorette. I swear that's what helped me through!!! I'm now smoke free for 9 months!

Updated 01/31/04 - Nicorette is the only product that I recommend to those who are trying to kick the habit. I have been smoke free for two years and almost a month. I still feel strongly that this product helped me get through the worst cravings by giving me a little nicotene to take the edge off as well as having something to chew on to help with the oral fixation! LOL>>>dirty minds! Anyhow, eventually I switched from Nicorette to regular gum and found that I was able to tell myself that I could chew out the stress, and eventually did. My friend recently went cold turkey with quitting and I think she's a much stronger person than I am for going that way! I felt like the cigarettes were my best friend and I WAS IN MOURNING FOR MONTHS AFTERWARDS! Don't let anyone tell you that you will never crave a smoke, or enjoy the smell when walking by someone smoking - at least for me. I still enjoy smelling it, but I treat smoking now as an old drug addiction. One drag and I'll be hooked again. Using this product was the only thing that kept me going where I had failed many times before. Find your nitch and go with it!
For the rest of us weaklings, Nicorette worked for me and I've been smoke free for almost 5 years to prove it!

Nicorette Original Gum 4mg, 170ct

Nicorette Original Gum 4mg, 170ct

You can quit smoking the easy and quick way with Nicorette Gum. The nicotine in this stop-smoking-gum helps with cigarette cravings. Be aware when you...

Nicorette® Fruit Chill™ Gum - 20 Count (4 Mg)

Nicorette® Fruit Chill™ Gum - 20 Count (4 Mg)

Powered by Frooition Pro in titles description Nicorette Fruit Chill Gum - 20 Count (4 mg) Nicorette Gum helps calm cravings reduces irritability and ...

Nicorette® White Ice 4 Mg. Gum Pocket Pack, 200 Pieces

Nicorette® White Ice 4 Mg. Gum Pocket Pack, 200 Pieces

NEW Pocket Pack! 8 Packs, 25 Pieces Per Pack.How to Open the Nicorette Gum Pocket Pack:1. Gently push tab on side.2. Pull up forcefully, pulling open ...

Nicorette White Ice Mint Gum - 20 Count

Nicorette White Ice Mint Gum - 20 Count

Find habit treatment at Target.com! Nicorette gum helps calm cravings & reduces irritability and anxiety with quitting smoking. Nicorette gum works as...

NICORETTE GUM - 2mg - Model 118-0306 - Box of 100

NICORETTE GUM - 2mg - Model 118-0306 - Box of 100

. NICORETTE GUM - 2mg - Model 118-0306 - Box of 100. Manufacturer: Generic Products. Model Number: 118-0306. Strength: 2mg. Sold by: Box of 100. Categ...
NICORETTE GUM - 4mg - Model 118-5263 - Box of 100

NICORETTE GUM - 4mg - Model 118-5263 - Box of 100

. NICORETTE GUM - 4mg - Model 118-5263 - Box of 100. Manufacturer: Generic Products. Model Number: 118-5263. Strength: 4mg. Sold by: Box of 100. Categ...
Nicorette® White Ice Mint™ Gum - 20 Count

Nicorette® White Ice Mint™ Gum - 20 Count

Powered by Frooition Pro in titles description Nicorette White Ice Mint Gum - 20 Count Nicorette Gum helps calm cravings reduces irritability and anxi...

Nicorette® Fruit Chill 4 Mg. Gum Pocket Pack, 200 Pieces