Nikon COOLPIX S60 10.0 MP Digital Camera - Crimson red Reviews

Nikon COOLPIX S60 10.0 MP Digital Camera - Crimson red

Nikon COOLPIX S60 Digital Camera (UpDated)

Mar 26, 2009 (Updated Apr 15, 2009)

• Battery Life:
  • Photo Quality:
  • Shutter Lag

Pros:Stylish, touchscreen, cool, easy of use, solid feel, color choices.

Cons:Price, may break easily, have to remove battery to charge in seperate charging unit.

The Bottom Line:

Is the camera worth the gold you must shell out for cool technology? Once weighing the pros & cons — your need for the latest, coolest technology — definitely— YES!

PURCHASED FOR SPECIAL OCCASION

Recently my niece was in a car accident after school on her way to work. The accident was not her fault and left her banged up and on crutches for approximately three weeks, her car was totaled and her plans for the week was obviously cancelled.

In pain and angry she fell into some depression. Missing school, work and maybe even her senior prom depending on how quickly and well she would heal. Everything was looking bleak and her 18th birthday wasn’t far away. She felt it would be just like any other day . . . that it would come and go without any specialty to it . . . .

I had inquired as to what she may like for a birthday gift a few times but the response I received each time was “I don’t know,” as she shrugged her shoulders.

Her birthday was now a week away and I had nothing. For people that know me this just doesn’t happen. I’m always well prepared for the gift giving occasions. I sat down and contemplated what would be special enough to lift her spirits, be a great gift that would be well received, and commemorate her 18th birthday.

WHAT TO BUY IS INDEED THE QUESTIONED?

Remembering that during the Christmas holidays my niece mentions I could buy her a Nikon COOLPIX S60 Digital Camera which I didn’t because I had already purchased a laptop for that occasion to give her. Recalling this information I scoured the internet and local stores. What a difficult item to find. Places that advertised it were out of stock, didn’t have a pink one or wanted an arm and leg.

Finally I stopped by newegg.com, they had the Nikon COOLPIX S60 Digital Camera in stock with free shipping but not in the color pink, I opted for the bronze because of its Pink Champaign color on the monitor which by the way looks more golden in person.

On Thursday UPS delivers my order early in the day and everything appears perfect and ready for gifting.

PREPERATION FOR SURPRISE

Since my niece was still down in the dumps even though she was back at school with friends and working again. We decided to throw her a birthday surprise party. Yeah, it was sort of last minute but we were able to pull it off.

I believe electronic presents should be ready to use right out of the box. Removing the camera from its retail box I charged the battery, inserted a 2BG SD card (not included), and set the settings on the camera. Replacing everything as it was factory packaged I attached a post-it reading: “I’m fully charged and ready to use — turn me on!”

COUNTING SEVEN LIKES

1] I LIKE: The Nikon COOLPIX S60 Digital Camera is extremely slim line, modern and stylish. Only two physical buttons on the camera: one for powering it on and the shutter button all other controls function directly from the LCD touch screen.

2] I LIKE: The 3” LCD touch Screen is clear and vivid, easy to use and highly responsive. One can easily use it during a bright sunny day without much difficulty.  But it does look a tad grainy when you move into lower light situations in camera mode. Not so much an issue during preview mode.

3] I LIKE: Editing can be performed in camera for red eye, panorama stitching, adding text or drawings to your photos. Software is included with the camera on a CD which I will not be elaborating on because it has not been installed or used by me or my niece.

4] I LIKE: The camera feels solid and has some weight. You know it’s in your hand when retrieving it even with its small size. Just looking at the camera and feeling it one would assume sturdy and durable during normal wear and tear.

5] I LIKE: Though the camera features a number of preset exposure settings only the auto function has been utilize to date. My niece has not stated any satisfaction or dissatisfaction regarding the other presents. Therefore I will not comment on them.

6] I LIKE: I like this camera enough that I’m seriously considering purchasing one for my own use. The large 3” LCD touch screen being the biggest selling point and its ease of use.

7] I LIKE: Fingerprints can be kept to a minimum by using the include pen stylish. The touch screen does function well with your finger and for me is more convenient. My niece prefers the stylish because it feels like a magic wand when flipping through the photos she has taken.

ACKNOWLEDGING SEVEN DISLIKES

1] I disLIKE
: I do not like the fact one must remove the battery from the camera and use an included stand alone battery charger.

2] I disLIKE: The battery compartment door is extremely thin and for someone such as myself whom is very careful with delicate items is no problem. But for most that want to be on the go without much care the battery compartment door may just be the first thing to break on this camera. If the battery did not require removal for charging this would not be as big and issue.

3] I disLIKE: I mentioned above that this camera feels solid and has some weight to it. This is true but at the same time I must confess that I don’t believe the camera would withstand a serious drop on a hard surface. Be sure the lanyard is attached and in use when taking pictures. Individuals that may be rough on things may want to look elsewhere – keep in mind though that compact cameras by any manufacture could easily meet the same fate if abused.

4] I disLIKE: My niece has small hands and just loves her Nikon COOLPIX S60 Digital Camera but when she wants me to take pictures of her I find my large hands get in the way of the camera’s lens. I’m a two handed camera person because I don’t have steady hands. To use the Nikon COOLPIX S60 Digital Camera successfully I place my left hand’s index finger on the top of the camera and my thumb the base folding in the rest of my fingers. Otherwise most of my pictures of her are good but a bit unfocused.

5] I disLIKE: No carrying case was provided with this camera and the warranty is rather standard. However, I feel that Nikon being the company and brand that it is and the camera such a transition from others on the market they may be a little forgiving with their warranty. This is just a feeling not a fact.

6] I disLIKE: The Nikon COOLPIX S60 Digital Camera takes nice photos but nothing exceptional. A lesser priced camera can easily match the Nikon COOLPIX S60 Digital Camera performance and quality. Again the touch screen is its biggest asset and coolest feature didn’t hurt sells that a sexy actor was pushing the brand and model. I know this is what attracted my niece to this particular camera.

7] I disLIKE: I know the touch screen is cool, adds some to the manufacturing cost, and eliminates a number of physical buttons. However the cost is mostly the reason more of these cameras are not flying out the door. Good news is the price is dropping and coming more in line with cameras with similar features and functions. In addition, other manufactures are adding touch screens to their new models too. Competition is a good thing!

TME

Time will tell if this camera will withstand a great deal of use as advertised on television. Truth does exist in advertising believe it or not. The Nikon COOLPIX S60 Digital camera can be picked up by about anyone allowing them ease of use. The camera is very simple to use and operate despite the abundance of technology packed into its small sleek casing. With only two physical buttons it does not take an Einstein to decipher the power from the shutter button.

Once on you are taken directly to the lens view in automatic mode. Some settings and features may be problematic like zooming in and out. Holding the Nikon COOLPIX S60 Digital camera steady and manipulating the touch screen for in/out zooming using the stylus or your finger may be somewhat inconvenient especially for spontaneous shots.

The menu is quickly accessed and icons are clear as to the four directions it will navigate you too. Settings should be your choice upon initial use for adjusting time and date, megapixel level you desire to shoot at, turning on or off sound etc.

A lanyard provided with the Nikon COOLPIX S60 Digital camera feels strong enough to support the camera’s weight should you accidently release it. The stylus attaches to the lanyard rather than the camera itself. Fortunately the fit of the stylus on the lanyard is snug and unlikely to fall off. The stylus is made of hard durable solid plastic so should be difficult to break under regular usage.

Using your fingers to navigate the touch screen will obviously leave a number of fingerprints on your large LCD screen thus blurring the image you see when attempting to focus. Using just any fabric lying around will eventually scratch up the LCD screen lending to additional distortion (Though this will not affect the actual photo file.) On the other hand with enough use of the stylus it too will eventually cause some scratching of the LCD screen. I advise you spend a few dollars and purchase an optically clear screen protector to protect your investment.

I placed a screen protector on my niece’s Nikon COOLPIX S60 Digital camera and I can see the cost savings already. The stylus may not have any sharp edges and designed for use with the camera but it does not deter the fact that scratches will wear in the LCD screen.

HIGH END

Probably one of the most important high end features of this camera is the HDMI port it sports. You have the ability to connect this camera for playback of stills and video directly to any of the newer HDTVs on the market. The HDMI port permits you an all digital to digital connection with no degradation or distortion of the signal. This is possible because no transition is occurring between analog and digital or vice versa. Cameras are produced with a wealth of exciting features sporting technologies at various price levels but the ability of interfacing your camera to a television set places the camera at a much higher level.

LET’S NOT FORGET

Let’s not forget the Nikon COOLPIX S60 Digital camera sports 16:9 HD resolution of 1920 x 1080 video and 3648 x 2736 stills. High Definition has never been so affordable when you compare the camera against any High Definition camcorder. Though it can be considered somewhat pricey for a point and shoot camera when compared to similar cameras by other manufactures.  Nikon’s COOLPIX S60 Digital camera sits on the border of both worlds not only in pricing and functions but innovations.

(SPECIFICATIONS
taken from Manufacture Site to insure accuracy)

Effective pixels

10.0 million

Image sensor

1/2.3-in. CCD; total pixels: approx. 10.34 million

Lens

5x Zoom-NIKKOR; 5.9-29.5mm (35mm [135] format picture angle: 33-165mm); f/3.8-4.8; 12 elements in 10 groups; Digital zoom: up to 4x (35mm [135] format picture angle: 660mm)

Focus range (from lens)

60cm (2 ft.) to infinity (∞), Macro close-up mode: 9cm (3.5 in.) to infinity (∞)

Monitor

3.5-in., wide, approx. 230k-dot, wide-viewing angle TFT LCD with touch screen control and anti-reflection coating

Storage media

Internal memory (approx. 20 MB), SD memory cards*1

Image size (pixels)

3648 x 2736 (High: 3648/Normal: 3648), 2592 x 1944 (Normal: 2592), 2048 x 1536 (Normal: 2048), 1024 x 768 (PC: 1024), 640 x 480 (TV: 640), 3584 x 2016(16:9 : 3584), 1920 x 1080(16:9 : 1920)

Vibration Reduction (VR)

Image sensor shift VR

ISO sensitivity

ISO 64, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 2000, 3200*2, Auto (auto gain ISO 64-800), High ISO Sensitivity Auto (ISO 64-1600)

Interface

Multi-connector (Hi-Speed USB, Audio/video output, DC input), HDMI mini connector

Power sources

Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL10 (supplied), AC Adapter EH-63 (optional)

Battery life

Approx. 140 shots with EN-EL10 battery

Dimensions (W x H x D)

Approx. 97.5 x 60 x 22 mm (3.8 x 2.4 x 0.9 in.) excluding projections

Weight

Approx. 145 g (5.1 oz.) without battery and SD memory card

Supplied accessories*3

Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL10, Battery Charger MH-63, USB Cable UC-E13, Audio Video Cable EG-CP15, Strap AN-CP14, Stylus, Software Suite CD-ROM

Optional accessories

AC Adapter EH-63

RECOMMANDATION

If you are in search for a good fun easy to use camera the Nikon COOLPIX S60 Digital Camera should be on your list. Should pricing be an issue be sure to look around because the Nikon COOLPIX S60 Digital Camera is somewhat pricey and barely sneaks in as a point and shoot camera. With reasonable care and use you should receive many years of pleasure from the Nikon COOLPIX S60 Digital Camera. But if you know you are a rough house individual that expects his or her electronics to perform the same you may need to look elsewhere. The Nikon COOLPIX S60 Digital Camera may withstand one or two short falls on a hard surface but I place my money on seeing it laying in pieces upon occurrence.

Is the camera worth the gold you must shell out for cool technology? Once you weigh the pros and cons and your need for the latest, coolest technology the answer is definitely— YES!

I hope this review has been useful to you.

This Camera is a Good Choice if You Want Something... Flexible Enough for Enthusiasts

Nikon CoolPix S800c Digital Camera- White-  16MP, 3.5OLED, WiFi, 10x, CMOS ($349.95 before $170.00 savings)

Nikon CoolPix S800c Digital Camera- White- 16MP, 3.5OLED, WiFi, 10x, CMOS ($349.95 before $170.00 savings)

16MP, 3.5OLED, WiFi, 10x, CMOS built-in Wi-Fi for wireless sharing and uploading of photos,Android(tm) operating system for access to apps on Google P...
Crutchfield

Nikon Coolpix L810 16.1MP Digital Camera Red + 16GB Deluxe Kit

Nikon Coolpix L810 16.1MP Digital Camera Red + 16GB Deluxe Kit

Nikon COOLPIX L810 16.1 MP Digital Camera with 26x Zoom NIKKOR ED Glass Lens and 3-inch LCD - Red (includes manufacturer's supplied accessories) 16 Gi...

Nikon Coolpix S02 13MP Digital Camera with 3X Optical Zoom

Find digital cameras at Target.com! Proof that good things come in small packages. Nikon's coolpix s02 combines a miniature design with sophisticated ...

Nikon - Coolpix S9700 Digital Camera, 16MP, 30x Optical/4x Digital, 3 OLED Display, Full

Nikon Coolpix S9700 Digital Camera, 16MP, 30x Optical/4x Digital, 3 OLED Display, Full HD 1080p Video, Wi-Fi, GPS, HDMI/USB, Black The Nikon Coolpix S...
Adorama

Nikon Coolpix S02 13MP Digital Camera with 3X Optical Zoom

Find digital cameras at Target.com! Nikon coolpix s02 13mp digital camera with 3x optical zoom

Item Includes Nikon Coolpix S800c Android Wi-Fi GPS Digital Camera (White) - Factory Refurbished includes Full 1 Year Warranty EN-EL12 Li-ion Battery ...

Nikon COOLPIX S6800 16MP 1080p HD Video Digital Camera - White

Zoom in and grab a great shot, then instantly share it with your friends and family. Pull out the stylish, ultra-slim COOLPIX S6800, zoom in and capt...
Beach Camera.com

BuyDig.com

Nikon Coolpix S6800 16MP Black Digital Camera - 26442

Nikon Coolpix S6800 16MP Black Digital Camera - 26442

16.0 Megapixel/ 12x Optical Zoom/ 24x With Dynamic Fine Zoom/ Built-In Wi-Fi/ Built- In Flash/ Target Finding Auto Focus/ 18 Scene Modes And Scene Aut...
Abt Electronics