The Nikon D3000 Digital Camera: A Good Starter Camera

Jun 7, 2011

Pros:It takes great quality photos. Very easy to use. Good built in settings.

Cons:It has a high price. It has no live screen. Weak instructions.

The Bottom Line: Even though the cost is slightly high, it is well worth it. This camera takes quality photos. It is easy to use and should be considered professional grade.

I just recently purchased the Nikon D3000 Digital Camera two months ago online for $400.00. I have always bought the one and done cameras but I really never liked the picture quality. My dad is an advanced photographer and he has always trusted anything that Nikon puts out. He told me about the Nikon D3000 a few months ago and I finally decided to give it a try a few weeks ago. Now that I have it, I love it. When I look on my wall at home now, it really looks professionally done.

The Nikon D3000 is a basic digital camera that is easy to navigate around and use. My camera came with a strap, a cover, and a battery and charger. Even though the Nikon D3000 is simple compared to other cameras, it does have its share of contents. The camera has a zoom piece which is easy to install and take off. It has auto focus on it, which can be disabled. On this setting, there really isn't a lot of play. Adjusting the focus can be difficult at times, more so irritating then difficult. The reason being is the small dial. The camera has a built in edit tool which is a really cool addition. You can edit photos in the camera before you download them to your printer or computer, which is very useful. It has the built in flash which is a asset. You can also disable this setting as well if you feel you don't need it. This camera does not have a live screen. I thought it did before I bought it but I was wrong. Even so, I really do enjoy using this camera.

The quality of the photos are amazing. I take a lot of pictures of nature, which was the main reason I bought the camera. I live in West Virginia, so there are great landscape shots everywhere. I blow the pictures up, frame them, and sell them. This basic camera takes wonderful quality photos, which is great! I don't print my own photos. I have always taken them to Wal-Mart or Rite-Aid. My dad does print his own and they come out great. In saying so, if you are printing them out, you should still get a good picture even if you have a basic printer. I haven't turned off the flash setting. I have left it on auto during all my photos. I really get some great pictures early in the morning or at dusk. If you are just beginning or you are a professional photographer, the Nikon D3000 is a great choice.

The battery charger seems to have a good life span as well. I only use my camera once or twice a week. Even though I always keep it on charge, I could get by on a single charge for a week using the camera all week long for 30 minutes a day. If your taking pictures for a few hours, you might want to bring a back up. The camera uses the SD memory chip, which allows you to download your pictures to your printer or your computer. Since the edit setting is built in your camera, you can edit your photos before you ever download them. This way, they are ready to print. Of course, this tool is basic. If you really get into the detail process, I wouldn't advise using the tool on the camera.

I really do enjoy this camera and I have had a lot of fun doing so. Anyone can learn to navigate this camera. The owners guide does not go into great detail about the camera. I ordered mine online, so in a store, there may be better instructions. But don't worry, all settings are easy to figure out. In my own opinion, I still believe the price is a little high, but you do get quality pictures. In the end, it has been well worth the money I spent.