Nikon D3s 12.1 MP Digital SLR Camera - Black (Body Only) Reviews

Nikon D3s 12.1 MP Digital SLR Camera - Black (Body Only)

The first new digital SLR camera that is more than just an upgrade.

Jun 9, 2008 (Updated Jun 17, 2008)

• Battery Life:
  • Photo Quality:
  • Shutter Lag

Pros:ISO6400 with with hardly any noise. Live View LCD. Dual CF card slots.

Cons:A little pricey, but worth every dollar.

The Bottom Line: The color quality, resolution, sharpness, lack of noise (even in low ISO settings) has blown me away.

First, I must mention that if any of the information below seems like Greek jargon, this high-priced camera may not be what you are looking for. Otherwise, trying to use this camera would be comparable to driving an 18-wheeler for someone who has never driven a stick-shift before. If you are looking for a high-priced camera to look good shooting with, I would recommend some of the lower models of the Canon DSLRS (which I have a personal fondness for and highly recommend over the lower Nikon models).

BUT … If you need all the bells and whistles and will push them to their limits, this is the machine for you.

The Nikon D3-
Specs:
12.1 Megapixel
9 frames per second / consecutive Shooting
ISO 6400 natively
Live View LCD display
Dual Compact Flash card slots.

Perfect for professional photographers: sport photograhers, photojournalist or wedding photographers.

What new things this Nikon D3 brings to the table?
Yes, most new cameras you buy today have 12.1 megapixels. So what? And the 9fps is becoming standard on point and clicks these days … what’s the big deal?
So why spend money on Nikon D3? Its high ISO image quality, Live View LCD display and Dual Compact Flash card slots.

I used to be a Canon fanatic. I have shot both brands, various models and was always more impressed with how Canon handled low-light situations. The images shot with Canon had less noise and the Nikon’s images always looked more grainy in the same lighting / ISO settings. But, with the D3, Nikon has me ready to sell all my Canon Equipment, lenses and all to invest in this D3. The color quality, resolution, sharpness, lack of noise (even in low ISO settings) has blown me away. You can read all the reviews you want and nod your head, but I challenge you to shoot with it once and put it down. You won’t be able to. I use this camera to shoot weddings specifically and would love to take it on the town for live music photography and art photography. Its control of low light and high action situations will open up a whole new world of image possibilities.

Live View LCD display-
Most Digital SLRS don’t have a live view LCD display. Why do you need it? Its fantastic for all those shots that are over eye level or right at ground level. It saves you from having to break your neck trying to stand on a wobbly chair with loose legs, or lay on the ground to frame up the best low-level perspective.

Dual Compact Flash card slots-
Can’t believe how I used to shoot without this! The Nikon allows you to choose how you wish to use this new feature and there are many options. You can even shoot in the RAW and in .jpg simultaneously.

Meeting Needs you didn’t know you had.
Now I haven’t tried either of these, but according to the manual apparently you can buy other elements that connect to it that allow for GPS location info that can record data as you shoot. Sounds like a fantastic feature for traveling journalist, OR a way to possibly keep an eye on where your camera might run off to in the wrong hands?

It also has a Wifi transmitter option as well!

What will they think of next!?

This Camera is a Good Choice if You Want Something... Solid Enough for a Professional

Dhcamera Store Payments Shipping Returns Terms Nikon D3S Part This is the original OEM Plate power Board for the Nikon D3S camera. Question? If you wa...