Nikon D7000 16.2 MP Digital SLR Camera - Black (Body Only) (25468) Reviews

Nikon D7000 16.2 MP Digital SLR Camera - Black (Body Only) (25468)

16 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: Excellent

+$4.98 shipping Target
Free Shipping NJ Accessory
Free Shipping Walmart.com

Nikon D7000 love it but it's different from the D300s!

Oct 22, 2010 (Updated Oct 24, 2010)

• Battery Life:
  • Photo Quality:
  • Shutter Lag

Pros:weight,great images,price,smart battery,

Cons:proprietary battery and charger,12 frame Buffer limit, no sync

The Bottom Line: Excellent camera, read the manual,practice in different situations.

The Nikon D7000 is Nikon's newest digital SLR that is said to be the replacement for Nikon D90,though Nikon has not officially stated that,it seems apparent when the previous model such as the D90 is being discounted and has rebate offers.
I've been a professional photographer for 30 years having started off with Nikon,switched to Canon 8 years ago and switched 3 months ago back to Nikon with the D300s. I really love the D300s,focus is quick,accurate and color is quite nice too. I only shoot RAW and use Adobe Lightroom so big shoots I can get edit hundreds of images somewhat quickly. I had heard about the low light capabilities of the Nikon D7000 and lucked out when I was able to purchase it locally at Best Buy. It came with the 18-105mm kit lens of which I do not need.
But I did want the camera fast,so the kit option left me no choice. On first notice when I opened the Nikon D7000 box,I see the camera body is smaller and lighter weight than my D300s and I see the manual is larger than my D300s. I notice the battery looks to be the same size as the D300s but on closer look it is a new battery with a new proprietary charger. Note,this battery is proprietary as well. It has a computer chip in it and tells your camera on the screen(when you look for battery under the menu screen) if the battery is old or new,how many photos you've taken since it was charged and what percentage of the battery is left. Great idea.However,if you do not have the optional external battery grip capable of holding "AA" batteries or the extra Lithium Ion and you forgot to bring your camera battery with you on a shoot or lose it on vacation,you could be out of luck if you can't find a camera store that would specifically stock this battery.
The camera uses SD memory cards. I have only used the Compact Flash cards in all of my other work digicams. I purchased a few Sandisk 16GB 6x and 10x cards to get me started. I rarely read a camera manual but after noticing that certain buttons I'd always relied upon in certain places were missing and I had to access functions thru the menu. To change the ISO,you need to press a button and then turn a wheel at the top. It's not that it's hard of course,but it's a change from how it has been done in most models. You may have to create some new camera habits. The back screen is sharper and larger than the D300s and images come up quick after you take a picture. I did a shoot at an event today and when I know I only have 60-90 seconds to shoot,I tend to 'gun it' on the shutter clicks. The D300s has always handled this well with it's 18 frame buffer and I never noticed a lag. However,on the D7000,after appx 12 fast shots,the camera buffer would not let me take another photo until the images were written to the card. I will either have to change the way that I shoot events or bring my D300s as a second camera.

Another thing I've noticed is that when the buffer is full I can't change the ISO setting. The wait was appx 30 seconds. The shutter is more quiet than other cameras I've worked with.

The D7000 lacks a sync,so if you use studio flash,you will have to get a hot shoe adapter that has a sync on it for your studio sync to flash.That only runs about $10 though.

The software program for Mac and Windows is Nikon View NX2. You can use it to get your images off the card. If you shoot RAW,you can convert them to TIF(8 or 14 bit) or jpegs. I personally use Adobe Lightroom and sometimes Photoshop for post processing my RAW images. As of this writing, Adobe has not updated their Raw converter to work with this camera's RAW images in Lightroom or Photoshop. I am sure it's in the pipeline,just not here now. Today I shot RAW with LARGE jpegs. The 350 images took at least an hour to download. The files are huge;too big. I miss access to Adobe Lightroom for my RAW files and find the supplied Nikon software too limiting and too slow to import and too slow to export. I realized my 3 year old MAC will probably need to be replaced sooner or later if I am going to keep shooting RAW for business. One 14 bit TIF file I converted from RAW in the Nikon software was 92MB! I then converted the TIF files in Lightroom to different size jpegs for my stock photo agents and clients and created Adobe DNG files for storage. I do not get as much leeway or as perfect color working with the TIF files as I would a NEF raw file. I was shooting in mixed light and that is where an actual RAW image really shines. I noticed that a few images where my flash underexposed,I was able to salvage them(TIF file) better in Lightroom. More so than any other camera that I've owned. When viewing my post processed images from today's shoots the clarity and contrast from everything I shot is perfect. I changed ISO's from 100 to 400 and a stretch for me, ISO 2000. Grain and noise were not there! My Nikon SB-900 flash units play nice with this camera. More than it does with the Nikon D300s.I swear my flash is recycling quicker and if it really is,I have no reason why! I will be working with this camera more in the coming week in different photo shoot situations. I will then decide if I should buy another backup body of the same model or sell my D300s camera and just stick with the D7000. The two cameras operate differently,have different cards,different batteries,different chargers,different menus. I think if you are in a hurry having two different  camera models can be confusing and prefer to keep it simple.
Go to the nikonusa for more info from what I've listed below.

The camera should be in the stores within the next week or two and pre-ordering could be your best bet at this time.

I've listed some specs below:

High Resolution 16.2 MP DX-format CMOS sensor for large prints and tight cropping
High Speed 6 frames per second continuous shooting up to 100 shots captures the most fleeting action
Ground-breaking 2,016-pixel RGB (3D Color Matrix) sensor delivers more accurate control of light metering and optimizes the Scene Recognition System for exposure, white balance, focus tracking and iTTL flash control
EXPEED 2 image processing and 14-bit A/D Conversion provides smooth tones, rich colors, and fast camera performance
Large Bright Glass Pentaprism Optical Viewfinder with approx. 100% frame coverage and approx. 0.94x magnification
Twin SD Card Slots with SD, SDHC, SDXC memory card compatibility gives you options to keep on shooting or separate your NEF (RAW), JPEG and movie files
Built-in Speedlight flash with i-TTL and Wireless Commander support so you can light your subjects any way you like
Optional MB-D11 multi-power pack further expands your shooting time and battery choices while adding a vertical shutter-release and control dials to your camera
Two User Definable Settings (U1, U2) right on the Mode Selector Dial let you store most camera settings so you can go back to them at anytime without the need for further adjustments or menu settings
Picture Control lets you choose from Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Monochrome, Portrait, or Landscape to apply a personal look and feel to your pictures
Virtual Horizon Graphic Indicator shows whether the camera is level and in Live View mode, lets you place a grid over the scene you’re about to shoot — an invaluable tool for shooting landscapes and architecture.
Breathtaking Full 1080p HD Movies with Full Time Autofocus and external stereo microphone jack to record cinematic-quality movies up to 20 minutes all enhanced by NIKKOR interchangeable lens quality and versatility
Dynamic ISO range from 100 to 6400 expandable to 25,600 (Hi2) lets you shoot in near darkness or slow down the action
Customizable 39 point AF System includes nine center cross-type sensors that operate with every AF NIKKOR lens so you can focus on making great images
Compact but durable with magnesium-alloy top and rear covers, superior weather and dust seals and a 150,000 cycle-rated shutter system providing reliable operation
3 Inch, 921,000-dot Super-Density LCD Monitor with 170 degree viewing delivers bright, crisp image playback, and precise Live View and Movie shooting
Fast Start-Up time of 0.13 sec and Short 50ms Shutter Lag so your camera’s ready to go when you are
Compact EN-EL15 Battery lets you shoot over 850 shots
Built-in HDMI Connection lets you connect your camera right to your HDTV and playback with most HDTV remote controls
Active D-Lighting restores picture-enhancing detail in shadows and highlights
Versatile Scene Modes lets you choose from Portrait, Landscape, Child, Sports, Close-up or Night Portrait for stunning results in otherwise challenging conditions

This Camera is a Good Choice if You Want Something... Solid Enough for a Professional

16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Sensor EXPEED 2 Image Processor 1080p HD Video Capture 3.0 921K-dot LCD Display RAW + JPEG Still Image Capture Twin SD/SDHC/SDXC...
NJ Accessory
The Nikon D7000 16.2MP DSLR Camera (Body Only) captures breathtaking Full 1080p HD Movies with Full Time Autofocus and external stereo microphone jack...
NJ Accessory
Find digital cameras at Target.com! This nikon digital slr camera is crammed with cutting-edge technology to provide superlative image quality, perfor...

eBay Deals