Nikon D90 12.3 MP Digital SLR Camera - Black (Body Only) (25446) Reviews

Nikon D90 12.3 MP Digital SLR Camera - Black (Body Only) (25446)

Free Shipping Walmart.com

Best Allrounder?

Jun 5, 2009

Pros:Light, low noise, fast operations, HD video, price, compatible with most Nikon lenses, battery life.

Cons:Mediocre videos.

The Bottom Line: If you don't need a full frame body and find that the D300 is too heavy, the D90 is the perfect compromise. It will certainly deliver excellent results.

Photography is often about compromises. No one can honestly say which camera is the BEST there is out there. The best that one can do is to declare, based on his own requirements, which camera best suits him.

Bearing that in mind, let me share with you why I bought the D90. I have a D700 which weighs about 1 kg without any lens attached. I always dreaded taking it out for outings which would include lots of hiking and travelling without a car. So, I decided to get a lighter alternative. I also wanted a DX body so that I have a longer reach for birding.

D300 seemed like the obvious choice but at 900g, it really isn't much lighter than the D700. I've tried the D60 and found it to be too basic for my needs. It's performance is also much slower compared to the D700. Although at about 700g, the D90 doesn't seem to be much lighter than the D700 on paper, in use it feels much lighter and more compact due to its diminutive dimension. So, I decided to give the D90n a go.

I have used a D80 before and was pleasantly surprised at how much better the D90 feels compared to the older model. Right off the bat, you can tell that the D90 is very well made. It feels very robust. The grip is just the right size, unlike those found on some other entry level camera bodies.

As with most new DSLRs in this price range, the D90 feels very fast in operation. It is always ready for the next shot. I do not feel any significant difference in its AF speed compared to the D700.

If you have used a Nikon DSLR before, you will be right at home as the buttons and controls are similar to those on other Nikon models.

Although the D90 is primarily a "still" camera, it is the first DSLR to incorporate 720p HD video capability. However, be warned: use this function only for short clips that do not involve too much movements because, firstly the videos suffer from SEVERE rolling shutter effect (ie, if you pan the camera from side to side, you will see the straight lines waving from side to side). Secondly, the AF doesn't work and would not be able to follow your subject. Unless you use a wide angle lens with a lot of depth of field, it may not be very usable for videos of events etc. It also has a limit of 5 minutes for HD videos.

I use my D90 primarily for birding. With its 1.5x crop factor, I get more reach with my tele lenses. The pictures are consistently well exposed, sharp and have minimal noise. Its maximum 4.5 fps shooting speed also comes in handy.

The battery life of the D90 has proven to be very impressive, rated at 850 shots. In use, I find that I would only need to charge the battery once every 2 weeks of casual shooting. I suspect the number of shots taken in between charges was closer to 1,000.

So, in summary, the D90 is a camera that does a lot for the money and it serves my purpose perfectly.

From image quality to a 24fps D-Movie Mode, this black Nikon D90 12.3MP Digital SLR Camera has plenty of options for both the amateur and pro. This ca...