Nikota Industrial 2HP Air Compressor Twin-Tank 35071

Epinions Product Rating: OK

A veritable piece of junk

Jul 30, 2004 (Updated Aug 1, 2004)

Pros:None whatsoever

Cons:This air compressor is a piece of junk

The Bottom Line: Possibly the worst piece of equipment I've ever seen

My wife saw one of these advertised in our local newspaper for sale at Kragen Autoparts. Only $99 for an oil-less 6.6 cfm (cubic feet per minute), 90 psi 4 gallon, twin tank compressor with a $20 rebate. How cool is that?

Those Chinese manufacturers sure know how to make some great kit, don't they? The almost identical Ingersoll-Rand DD2T2 compressor that costs ten times as much only puts out 4.4 cfm at 90 psi. The DeWalt D55153 2 HP that costs 3 times as much only puts out 4.5 cfm at 100 psi.

How do the Chinese do it?

They fake the numbers, that's how. It's all hot air.

But I'm jumping ahead of myself.

I thought having this compressor would be great. A few weeks later, as chance would have it, our Buick sprung a leak in its head gasket.

I'd already bought a Porter Cable air ratchet, reviewed at http://www.epinions.com/content_128634359428. I fired up the compressor. A minute or so later it shut off with a "psst" of compressed air. This is going to be great, I thought. I hooked up the air ratchet, snapped on a socket and set about removing the first bolt holding the torsion bar. Ermm, hold on, what's happening here? The compressor was running again, but the air ratchet was slowing down big time.

I wasn't happy. In fact I was downright angry because I realized now that I'd been duped, whereas before I'd only been sceptical. The ratchet's air consumption is rated 4.9 cfm at 90 psi. If the compressor puts out 6.6 cfm it should be able, easily, to keep up with the ratchet's requirement.

I called my friend, Carl, who brought over his son's ancient (I'm guessing 20 year old) oil-lubricated Campbell Hausfeld 20 gallon compressor. We fired up that old compressor and it was like night and day. The old CH had no trouble driving the air ratchet. It was also noticeably quieter than the Nikota and what noise the CH did make was produced at a more agreeable, lower frequency.

I started looking on eBay and bought my own CH, reviewed at http://www.epinions.com/content_128513576580, a few weeks later. It has no trouble powering the air ratchet, or anything that I've subsequently hooked up to it.

Carl and I took the Nikota apart to see how well it was (or rather wasn't) made. Whereas high pressure fittings are flanged to ensure a good seal, the Nikota uses doubled copper washers to create seals. Wow, this thing really is a piece of junk. The motor uses a single capacitor, whereas American motors use two. Every place we looked corners had been cut. There were so many cut corners it was positively ragged.

I'm really surprised, and angered, that Nikota is able to get away with this. They should be reported to the Federal Trade Commission for false advertising, but I'll tell you here instead. I reckon this compressor puts out about half the 6.6 cfm it claims to put out. That's based on side-by-side comparison with two CH compressors and various air tools. Furthermore, there's no way that this shoddily-made piece of garbage could put out more air than the comparably-sized DeWalt and Ingersoll-Rand compressors.

You get what you pay for when you buy the Nikota. It's very cheap for what it claims to do. It's still cheap when you gauge the price against the real performance, but it's very cheaply made.

My advice is either buy a good, used air compressor, or pay more and buy a relatively inexpensive compressor from a reputable manufacturer.

Kragen refunded my money or I *would* have pursued this through the FTC.

Nikota 30090 Industrial 3/8 Air Ratchet Wrench/two Pawls/auto-oiler (lw0431-1)

Nikota 30090 Industrial 3/8 Air Ratchet Wrench/two Pawls/auto-oiler (lw0431-1)

Your browser does not support JavaScript. To view this page, enable JavaScript if it is disabled or upgrade your browser. Click Here. Double your traf...

Nikota Automotive Rotary Tool Kit 01244

Nikota Automotive Rotary Tool Kit 01244

You Are Viewing:NIKOTA AUTOMOTIVE ROTARY TOOL KIT 01244 120V/60HZ, 1.0 AMPS VARIABLE SPEED: 8000-30000 RPM PERFECT FOR SANDING, SHAPING, DEBURRING, CU...

Industrial Air Contractor 5-HP 4-Gallon Twin Stack Air Compressor w/ Honda Engine - CTA5090412 - 5-HP Honda OHC/OHV Engine Easy starting, smooth perfo...
Air Compressors Direct

Diamond Saw Blade, 12, 1 bushing,Nikota, New

Diamond Saw Blade, 12, 1 bushing,Nikota, New

This Is A Brand New Nikota Diamond Blade From Nikota Tools. The Blade Is Made With High Quality Diamond, And Cut With Easy. Superior Quality. Technica...
Nikota 8189 12 Volt Cordless Grease Gun

Nikota 8189 12 Volt Cordless Grease Gun

Made by Nikota .This is a NEW!! Cordless grease gun .Model #: 08189 Specifications:Power Rating: 12 Volt at 1.3 Amps Rate: 1.5 oz per minute at 6500PS...

Industrial Air 9-HP 30-Gallon Truck Mount Air Compressor w/ Electric Start Honda Engine - IHA9093080.ES - 9-HP Electric-Start Honda GX Commercial Grad...
Air Compressors Direct

$1979.99

Dewalt D55168 1.6 HP 15 Gallon Oil-Free Wheeled Portable Workshop Air Compressor

1.6 HP Wheeled Portable Electric Workshop Compressor - D55168
CPO DEWALT

1.6 HP Wheeled Portable Electric Workshop Compressor - D55168
Tyler Tool

Nikota 3/8 Dr. Impact Socket Set (metric)

Nikota 3/8 Dr. Impact Socket Set (metric)

Please contact us prior to bidding if you have any questions!Description:*NEW* NIKOTA 3/8 DR.IMPACT SOCKET SET (METRIC)Check out my other items !Shipp...