Cons: pesticide, expensive, doesn't work after SEVERAL repeated treatments!
The first time I used this product I had no idea it was a pesticide! Call me stupid and un-educated, but I assumed it was medicated or something. The thought of actually putting a poison pesticide on my childrens hair was so far from my mind I would have probably thought it was illegal!
When my children got lice at daycare I felt awful. My kids bathe EVERY night and are well taken care of. It is a common misconception that "dirty" people get lice. When in fact, they love CLEAN hair above all.
We went and got a box of Nix and ended up also using rid and some off brand version throughout the process. The process being that they kept coming back in all 3 of my kids, me, AND my mother!
With every pesticide treatment (Nix, Rid, and the like) You saturate the hair and scalp as much as possible, let it sit for NO MORE than 10 minutes, and then rinse it out and try not to get it in your eyes. Afterward you go through every strand of hair possible with a special lice comb and try to remove as many bugs and nits (eggs) as possible.
When I put it on my 2 year old little girl I gave myself a treatment at the same time. It said not to get it in the eyes but if you do to just douse with water.
Have you ever washed a 2 year olds hair? One who doesnt want their hair washed? Well, that's why we have tear free shampoo. She wouldn't sit still, she was trying to get out of the tub, and of course some got in her eyes. My baby was SCREAMING and crying and I doused her eyes with water to make sure none was left. But she was so hysterical that I almost cried myself.
Then, I rinsed mine out of my hair. I didn't get it in my eyes but I DID get in, on, and around my mouth. My lips were numb for over and hour. COMPLETELY novacaine numb and I had the WORST headache! I then began to feel bad about having put it on my little girl (and earlier on my son but his experience was less eventful b/c he sets still)
After that I looked at the box. The ingrediants didn't tell much for me b/c I am not a scientist. But it did say not to use on people with asthma. Well, my oldest has bad asthma so I decided after mine and my younger daughters experience that I wasn't going to risk it on my oldest.
I then turned to my dear friend Google.com. I simply entered "Natural lice treatments" and not only did I get SEVERAL natural suggestions, but I saw info on Nix and Rid that I never dreamed. A couple of which even involved LAW SUITS! This is also when I saw that it was a shampoo pesticide. It can cause brain problems, double vision, and all sorts of other problems!
The main active ingrediant in Nix is Permetherin. Rather than spout off a bunch of other facts and ingrediants, and sound like the expert I am not, I will direct you to this link where I learned the most about this product myself.
It crossed my mind when we had roaches in my last apartment that after I sprayed the bug spray under the beds and everywhere else, that I didn't even want the kids in the room. I didn't want to spray it near their toys b/c it may get in their mouths or they may inhale it. BUT in this instance I was putting a toxic bug spray pesticide ON THEM! And on their HEADS at that! Then rinsing it off and all over their bodies! Not only that, but the bottle said you had to repeat it in a week and if they still weren't gone it may require another treatment all together!
I decided I was NEVER using Nix or Rid on my kids EVER AGAIN!
After 2 treatments on both my 2 and 4 year old, and THANKFULLY having put none on my oldest and 2 treatments on my mother and I. We tried the Mayonaise and tea tree oil treatment.
You slather this on and can leave it on anywhere from 1 hour to overnight. Then you rinse it off and go through their hair. You do have to repeat it later for the nits you may have missed, but you have to repeat any treatment you do anyway and this one isn't deadly.
In comparrison, the Nix actually does smell a little better than the tea tree oil. Nix has more of a medicine like smell but it isn't a strong overwhelming smell. The tea tree oil is VERY potent and can almost make your eyes water. Of course, it's not as bad once it's deluted, kind of smells like alot of herbs all mixed into one. The hands down winner in the smell department is the LiceFreee! which smells JUST like black licorice. Either way I would take the smell of herbs over having poison in mine and my childrens pores.
My mother, refusing to put mayo on her hair, did 2 more treatments of the pesticide and they still came back. She then went to the store and bought the homeopathic (pesticide free) gel shampoo called "Licefreee!" and after the followup treatment of that hers were gone. This is a great substitute for those who don't want a pesticide but would rather use a store bought shampoo than a natural at home cure.
Another little tip is that they really can't live in hair with tea tree oil. So, even if you get them they wont live or stick around. They make regular every day shampoos with tea tree oil as the main ingrediant and it works as a great deterant for when it's "lice season" at school/daycare. One more expensive brand it by Paul Mitchell (believe it or not) it also has peppermint in it and makes your head feel cool and tingly. Herbal Extracts also has a less expensive version and I'm sure there's a really cheap offbrand too but I have never tried those.
So the Nix didn't work ANYWAY and was VERY expensive at $11-$18 for the bottle or kit as opposed to a cheap mayo treatment and tea tree oil is about $3.50 a bottle and goes a LONG way b/c it has to be diluted. The Homeopathic "Licefreee!" is around $9 for a bottle and a METAL comb (not the cheap plastic ones)
Coming from someone who has REALLY tried EVERYTHING, Nix does NOT get our stamp of approval in ANY department.