NordicTrack Classic Pro Reviews

NordicTrack Classic Pro

NordicTrack Classic Pro: Worth The Effort

Mar 2, 2001

Pros:Low Impact, Total Body Workout, Low Tech

Cons:Challenging To Master, Takes Up Some Space, Not Sexy or New Age

The Bottom Line: Definitely not something to buy brand new (if you can even find it), but worth $200 - $300 as a low impact supplement to jogging and lifting weights.

I wish I could tell you that Ive used my NordicTrack religiously since we bought it; heck, I wish I could tell you that Ive used it religiously THIS YEAR!

Now, this hardly looks like the opening of a favorable review, but trust me, it is. I think that the NordicTrack is one of the best exercise products on the market, and any deficiencies in its use or results I take full responsibility for.

Id be lying if I didnt tell you that there have been times over the last four and a half years where I have grumbled about my $600 clothes rack. We first purchased the thing back in 1995, before we got married, after my soon-to-be wife came home and told me we HAD to have one. Allegedly, she worked with a woman who had lost an astounding 40 pounds over six months by doing it 30 minutes each day, and so we had to get one so that she could get in shape for the wedding.

So, off to the store we went. However, her enthusiasm took a turn for the worse when we encountered the hefty $600 price tag. We were trying to pay down debt, and we werent sure what exactly was the value of losing 40 pounds over six months, especially since neither of us had the 40 pounds to lose.

But did they have a deal for us! If we would just buy it today, we could finance it for 6 months with no finance charges. My wife, always the suspicious one, was sure there was a catch, and passed. On the drive home, she brought it up again. She admitted that she wanted it, but didnt like the thought of owing more money.

So, what would you like to do? I asked.

Id prefer to just save up and buy it, she answered.

And when would you hope to have enough money to buy it, I continued, mentally ticking off the months between now and the wedding day.

Oh, probably 3 or 4 months.

I looked at her like she was crazy. What was the problem with the six months, no finance charge deal then? Wed pay it off before we got hit with any charges, and wed get to use it in the interim. She admitted that her only arguments were philosophical, and when we got home I called the store and made the purchase.

Its All About Coordination
Now, dont get me wrong; it does take a little time to master the NordicTrack. Im a fairly athletic guy, and there are very few sports I cant play passably, but it took some getting used to make this thing work. The motion feels unnatural at first, and I found myself expending more effort trying to stay on the bloody thing than exercising. At the store, they warned us that it might take as much as a month to get the motion down and begin exercising effectively. But since we purchased it new, we also got a video tape that at least demonstrated how we should look if we were doing it right. That made a big difference. For a while, a favorite pastime was watching people that visited try to make the thing work.

Motivation
Now the other dirty little secret; it is BORING. At least for the first three months, most of my attention was focused on not pulling something I shouldnt, so I had something to distract me. Once I got it under control, I was then faced with 30 to 45 minutes ofnothing! Using a walkman is a bit of a challenge because of the jarring motion, and you have to turn the television or stereo up pretty loud to hear it over the movement of the gears (not really an option in an apartment), so you have to really want to get in shape to stay interested in this thing.

So Why Do I Like It!?!
Well, late last year I looked in the mirror and realized that Id become That Guy. You know, the one who I passed on the street at 18, with the dumpy body and slightly outdated clothes, and said Ill Never look like THAT GUY! Or the one who I laughed at on the beach when I was 22 because he clearly thought he still had the body he had in college, and I thought to myself, Ill never let myself look like THAT GUY!

Well, now at 34, Im approaching that condition, and Im determined to reverse it. Luckily, using the NordicTrack really is like riding a bike; it was easy enough to begin again. Eight weeks at 45 minutes three days a week and Im down 10 pounds and two pants sizes. Overall, my body feels better and instead of having the body of a 30 year old, I easily have the body of a 37 year old (Im working, Im working).

Also, I dont live in a climate where I can be outside comfortably all year round. I plan to supplement the NordicTrack with weights and road work in a few months, but at least I could get a decent workout and build a base during the period typically where I just sat around making excuses.

NordicTrack TRACK PRO CLASSIC SKIER Front Roller Model Number NTXC80182 Part Number 212284

This is the Replacement Front Roller for the NordicTrack TRACK PRO CLASSIC SKIER. For Model Number:NTXC80182
Nordictrack A2750 Pro Treadmill Running Belt 249790

Nordictrack A2750 Pro Treadmill Running Belt 249790

Nordictrack A2750 Pro Treadmill Walking Belt Part Name: Walking Belt - Running Belt - Treadbelt New Replacement / Model No. 249790 Weight: 4 lbs.1 Yea...

Nordictrack A2550 Pro Treadmill Running Belt Model Numbers Ntl080090

Nordictrack A2550 Pro Treadmill Running Belt Model Numbers Ntl080090

Nordictrack A2550 Pro Treadmill Walking Belt Part Name: Walking Belt - Running Belt - Treadbelt New Replacement / Model No. NTL080090 Weight: 4 lbs.1 ...

Nordictrack A2550 PRO Treadmill Deck Model Number 303623

Nordictrack A2550 PRO Treadmill Deck Model Number 303623

This is the replacement deck for the Nordictrack A2550 PRO treadmill. Model number 303623.
Nordictrack A2750 Pro Treadmill Running Belt Ntl010090

Nordictrack A2750 Pro Treadmill Running Belt Ntl010090

Nordictrack A2750 Pro Treadmill Walking Belt Part Name: Walking Belt - Running Belt - Treadbelt New Replacement / Model No. NTL010090 Weight: 4 lbs.1 ...

NordicTrack A2550 Pro Treadmill Walking Belt Model Number NTL080090 - Treadmill Parts

NordicTrack A2550 Pro Treadmill Walking Belt Model Number NTL080090 - This Is The Replacement Walking Belt For The NordicTrack A2550 Pro Treadmill. Fo...
Nordictrack A2350pro Safety Key magnet (treadmills)

Nordictrack A2350pro Safety Key magnet (treadmills)

TREADMILL KEY FITS PROFORM XP690T NORDICTRACK A2350PRO REEBOK R7.90 2.5LONG x 1 1/4WIDE-3/8 MANGET WE HAVE MANY DIFFERENT KEYS FOR MANY TREADMILLS, EM...

NordicTrack A2350 Pro Treadmill Walking Belt Model Number NTL123100

NordicTrack A2350 Pro Treadmill Walking Belt Model Number NTL123100

This Is The Replacement Walking Belt For The NordicTrack A2350 Pro Treadmill. For Model Number: NTL123100
NordicTrack C 1500 Treadmill Black/grey 20 in. x 60 in.

NordicTrack C 1500 Treadmill Black/grey 20 in. x 60 in.

Train for Performance and Run for Success with the NordicTrack Treadmill 1500 An ultimate runner s delight! The heavy-duty NordicTrack Treadmill 1500 ...

Nordictrack Gx 5.0 Pro Sealed Bearing Elliptical Bikes Fbs 6201zz

Nordictrack Gx 5.0 Pro Sealed Bearing Elliptical Bikes Fbs 6201zz

BEARING #018009 GOES MANY DIFFERENT MODELS: NORDICTRACK GX5.0RPO/GX7.0/COMMERICAL VR NORDICTRACK/FREEMOTION/IMAGE/HEALTHRIDER/WESLO/PROFORM/EPIC/REEBO...