Noxzema Original Face Wash

A Cream of Substance and History

Apr 18, 2007

Pros:Thorough, refreshing cleansing, exhilarating tingle and scent, adds softness.

Cons:None for me

The Bottom Line: Noxzema Original is a one-of-a-kind, legendary skin cream that's endured the test of time because it's beneficial, easy to use, and reasonably priced.

Noxzema is a brand name for a line of skin cleansers. The line is named after its first product, which is known as Noxzema "Original" and is currently sold as Noxzema Deep Cleansing Cream. It seems like Noxzema Original has been around forever, and every household I know has at least one jar of it somewhere. It’s a multi-purpose product that can be counted on to work well, and there really isn't anything else like it in the saturated skin care market. According to Wikipedia, Noxzema was originally developed, in 1914, to be a remedy for sunburn. An early customer was thrilled with the discovery of the cream's ability to cure eczema, and the product name came from the understanding that with its use there would be "no eczema". My personal experiences and the testimonies of thousands of others support that Noxzema is effective for easing the pain of sunburn, while helping to moisturize peeling skin, and is indeed effective for treating symptoms of eczema. It's also a terrific skin cleanser, acne deterrent, moisturizer, and skin-temperature reducer.

The smell of Noxzema exists in some of my earliest childhood memories. My mother, who was in her twenties in these memories, used it regularly. All little girls are curious about their mother's cosmetics, and I remember Mom telling me not to play with the Noxzema, because it was "medicated". She used Cover Girl make-up by Noxzema, which was also marketed as being "medicated". My mother is almost 70, now, and she still has great skin; so kudos to this "medication"! Noxzema's medicative properties are no longer the primary focus of its marketing, which is unfortunate, because Noxzema is more than just a thorough, practical face wash. It really does help treat and prevent skin problems like oil, blemishes, and dryness.
I began using Noxzema Skin Cream when I was about 15 years old. All my used it, too, and we relied on it to keep our complexions clear. Back then I used Noxzema Astringent after cleansing, and I always applied more Noxzema and rubbed it in to protect my skin from harsh elements and keep oils away.

In 1983 the product usage information on the famous blue jars encouraged the use of Noxzema as a moisturizer under makeup, and as a night cream. I've washed with it and soaked my skin in it, morning at night, for over 25 years and I love it.

Usage

Noxzema Original is a gelatinous, non-greasy cream that comes in a blue jar with a screw-on cap. You use it by scooping some of the cream into your hand, and rubbing it around your face with either your fingers or a washcloth. I prefer to use a washcloth most of the time because this gives the cleansing additional exfoliation. After washing, you thoroughly rinse your face with warm water and all the dirt, oil, perspiration, and makeup collected on your face goes down the drain. Your skin feels soft and smooth, and the scent of Noxzema is exhilarating. I use Noxzema to remove all my makeup, even mascara. If the eyeliner or mascara is hard to remove, I apply a glob of Noxzema and use a tissue to remove it (as though it were cold cream) prior to my regular face washing, or afterward. After I rinse my face of the impurities, I dry it. Often I apply Noxzema afterwards as a moisturizer and blemish-deterrent. When it's time for my monthly break-out, I make sure to keep Noxzema on my skin.
Noxzema is a fantastic makeup base, beneath foundation, because it helps keep skin matte, and it helps foundation cover smoothly and last longer. Your jar of Noxzema tells you it's a merely a facial cleanser, but I've been using it as a moisturizer for 25 years and for me it's great stuff.

Several years ago I was shopping for makeup in a crowded upscale department store. A SA spotted me and decided to use me as a human product promotion, loudly stating that she could tell I used her product’s skin care line because of the obvious health and glow of my skin. I didn't have the heart to tell her I used Noxzema, even though I could afford her expensive products if I needed them. As a matter of fact, I've tried just about every facial skin care brand I've come across over the years, and I always come back to Noxzema. It works well, and I love the price. I wonder if anyone is actually glad to pay ridiculous amounts of money for stuff that removes goo from your face and gets sucked down the drain?

The ridiculous number of skin care products on the market is confusing, and Noxzema, being an older product, often gets pushed aside for new products with unsubstantiated claims. This is unfortunate because of Noxzema’s effectivity and practicality.

My skin is normal in that it's occasionally dry or occasionally oily. I get a blemish or two once a month. I use powder to touch up foundation, if worn, during the day. I suppose my skin could be considered "combination" but I think "normal" is a better description because it really doesn't have any problems.

Noxzema comes in a formula with extra moisturizers with I have used when my skin seems particularly dry, but I prefer the Original Deep Cleansing Formula over the moisturizing one. Noxzema also comes in original and moisturizing formulas as a liquid face wash in a bottle with a pump.

I prefer the original coagulated cream in the blue screw-top jar over these watered down versions. These formulas are messy and they're not as concentrated as the original cream, so more is product is needed. Also, whatever chemical change occurs to make the cleanser ooze out of a pump also makes the product less refreshing.

Noxzema, which has become a brand-name for skin cleansers, has a relatively new product called Noxzema Cleansing Whip. Its ingredients are almost the same as those of the original cream, but it's a paste that you apply to your skin for one minute. It draws out dirt and impurities, and you rinse it off. It, like the original, is a groundbreaking product, and it's fabulous. This version cannot be used as a moisturizer or makeup base, though, because it is non-absorbent and viscous.

Is Noxzema "hypo-allergenic"? Nope. At least, not according to current standards. But, in fact, its ingredients are actually more "pure" than many multi-chemical products that claim to be safe. Certainly there are ingredients in Noxzema to which some people have some allergies. This is true of all products, regardless of their claims. The longevity of Noxzema’s presence in the market, and the number of its sales, suggests that far less people are allergic to it than the massive number of people who successfully use it. I have had allergic reactions to products in a few skin care lines, but Noxzema has always worked perfectly for my skin.

I've had great skin all my life, and at age 41 I'm continually mistaken for being much younger. I still get carded if I buy a bottle of wine at a grocery store. This seems to be bragging, but I’m trying to emphasize that I have really good skin. Over the many, many years of my Noxzema usage, many, many people have asked me what skin care products I use. The snob-appeal advertising of many inferior products has caused people to be surprised when I tell them, "Noxzema", but I'm certain I've caused quite a few Noxzema purchases.

Noxzema has a cute, interactive website that helps guide new users to find appropriate products. In addition, the website provides information on toxicity levels of skin and the importance of proper cleansing. www.noxzema.com

Ingredients:
Water, Stearic Acid, Linseed Oil, Soybean Oil, Fragrance, Ammonium Hydroxide, Camphor, Menthol, Eucalyptus Oil, Propylene Glycol, Gelatin, Calcium Hydroxide

Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream 12 Oz Soft+smooth Skin Tingles+refreshes

Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream 12 Oz Soft+smooth Skin Tingles+refreshes

BRAND :Noxzema CONDITION :NEW! ITEM :The Original Deep Cleansing Cream DESCRIPTION : 12 oz / 340 g See our store for more similar items Combine and sa...

Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream 12 oz

Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream 12 oz

The refreshing, deep cleanser that started it all Our Original Deep Cleansing Cream reaches deep down to the pores to remove dirt, oil and makeup. It ...
Dollar General

Noxzema Classic Clean Original Deep Cleansing Cream 12 oz

Noxzema Classic Clean Original Deep Cleansing Cream 12 oz

Find facial skin care at Target.com! Feel fresh and rejuvenated with the noxzema original deep-cleansing cream. This deep-cleansing face cream removes...

6 Jars Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream 10.75 Oz.

6 Jars Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream 10.75 Oz.

6 JARS NOXZEMA THE ORIGINAL DEEP CLEANSING CREAM WITH EUCALYPTUS OIL, 10.75 OZ. NOXZEMA ORIGINAL.... THAT NOXZEMA DEEP CLEAN YOU CAN FEEL. FOR CLEAN, ...

Noxzema Shave Cream Regular - 11 oz
4 Jars Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream 10.75 Oz.

4 Jars Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream 10.75 Oz.

4 JARS NOXZEMA THE ORIGINAL DEEP CLEANSING CREAM WITH EUCALYPTUS OIL, 10.75 OZ. NOXZEMA ORIGINAL.... THAT NOXZEMA DEEP CLEAN YOU CAN FEEL. FOR CLEAN, ...

Noxzema Bikini Shave & Trim Disposable Shavers, 3 count

Noxzema Bikini Shave & Trim Disposable Shavers, 3 count

Wear your favorite beach wear and forget about unwanted hair when you use Noxzema Bikini Shave and Trim Disposable Shavers. They have a miniature blad...

Noxzema The Original Deep Cleansing Cream 12 Oz

Noxzema The Original Deep Cleansing Cream 12 Oz

Noxzema The Original Deep Cleansing Cream 12 oz Tingles and refreshes for soft, smooth skin with Eucalptus Oil Deep cleans to remove dirt, oil, and ma...

NOXZEMA Deep Cleansing Cream - 4 Pack

NOXZEMA Deep Cleansing Cream - 4 Pack

Find facial skin care at Target.com! Noxzema deep cleansing cream reaches deep down to the pores to remove dirt, oil and makeup. It refreshes with tha...