Nu-Salt Reviews

Nu-Salt

ratings (1 Epinions review)

Makes a low-salt diet more tolerable

Mar 1, 2009 (Updated Mar 1, 2009)

Pros:In the right amounts, it mimics salt well.

Cons:It can be bitter, if over-used.

The Bottom Line: If you cannot use saltr (sodium chloride), to season your food, Nu-Salt might be the answer.

After having low blood pressure (hypotension) for many years, I was diagnosed with high blood pressure (hypertension) in January 2008. The reason for the change was never identified. In my years of hypotension, I enjoyed eating salty foods, like salt-and-vinegar potato chips. That had to change, when the hypertension was diagnosed. As with most hypertensive people, regular (sodium chloride or NaCl) exacerbates the problem.

Anyway, I was prescribed several anti-hypertensive medications, which had the not-unusual side effect of lowering my blood potassium levels.  Eating potassium-rich foods, like bananas, would barely dent that problem, and I was prescribed Klor-Con, which is potassium chloride concentrate. It tastes pretty bad, but it solves the problem.

Then, I remembered having once tried a salt substitute, on a whim, and liking it.  It was salty, so I liked it.  I looked it up on the Internet, found it, and discovered that it was none other potassium chloride, granulated, in a non-concentrated, crystallized form.  I bought some, under the name Nu-Salt, and liked it again.

Nu-Salt does not taste exactly like salt, but it is very close. It must be used more sparingly, as it is stronger in taste and, if overdone, an acrid after-taste kicks in.

While looking up the salt substitute on the Internet, I encountered a few stories about potassium chloride causing deaths in a very few situations. However, those case histories that I read typically involved extremely high doses, or giving adult-level amounts to babies, or people with significant heart problems to begin with.

Nu-Salt was easily found at my local grocery store.  It comes in either individual packets, like sweeteners in restaurants, or in three-ounce shakers, with a lid that can dial for pouring or for sprinkling.  It is more expensive than salt, but you use less of it, which cuts down on the per-use expense.  A pack of twelve three-ounce shakers can be bought on-line for $16.20.

I can no longer put salt on my food, but Nu-Salt comes pretty close.

The Nu-Salt website is:

Thanks to Kate (lyagushka) for adding this to the database.

Nu Skin Tru Face Line Corrector

Nu Skin Tru Face Line Corrector

Nu Skin Tru Face Line Corrector 30ml. Brand New Sealed. We only ship to address confirmed with PayPal once the payment is cleared. Thanks!

Nu Skin Tru Face Line Corrector—brand Sealed (2 Packs)

Nu Skin Tru Face Line Corrector—brand Sealed (2 Packs)

Nu Skin Tru Face Line Corrector 30ml. 2 packs. Brand New Sealed. We only ship to address confirmed with PayPal once the payment is cleared. Thanks!

Nu Skin Tru Face Line Corrector—brand Sealed (3 Packs)

Nu Skin Tru Face Line Corrector—brand Sealed (3 Packs)

Nu Skin Tru Face Line Corrector 30ml. 3 packs. Brand New Sealed. We only ship to address confirmed with PayPal once the payment is cleared. Thanks!

Nu Skin Polishing Peel Skin Refinisher 1.7 Oz

Nu Skin Polishing Peel Skin Refinisher 1.7 Oz

NU SKIN Polishing Peel Skin Refinisher 1.7 OZ (50ML)Brand New in Retail Box Product Description Nu Skin Polishing Peel resurfaces and polishes skin to...

Nu Skin Galvanic Spa Facial Gels With Ageloc

Nu Skin Galvanic Spa Facial Gels With Ageloc

Nu Skin Galvanic Facial Gels with ageLOC -Factory sealed NEVER opened -Message me with any questions.* All INTERNATIONAL BUYERS*Import duties, taxes, ...

Nu Skin Tru Face Line Corrector Set Of 5 - In Factory Sealed Box

Nu Skin Tru Face Line Corrector Set Of 5 - In Factory Sealed Box

YOU ARE LOOKING AT BRAND NEW IN A FACTORY SEALED BOX 5 TRU FACE LINE CORRECTOR RETAIL VALUE OF $ 240 THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH US

Obagi Nu-Derm Travel Set for Normal to Dry Skin

Obagi Nu-Derm Travel Set for Normal to Dry Skin

Obagi Nu-Derm Transformation System: Obagi Nu-Derm Travel Set for Normal to Dry Skin * Transform your skin with the proven anti-aging power of the Oba...
Endless Beauty Care