Nutramigen Reviews

Nutramigen

Enfamil Nutramigen: Ideal For Sensitive Tummies!

Sep 5, 2002

Pros:Excellent Nutrition For Sensitive Tummies, Helps Colic, Easy To Digest

Cons:Hard To Find

The Bottom Line: This formula really was a life saver for my daughter, and I can't even begin to thank the makers of Enfamil enough for making it!!

When my oldest daughter was born, I attempted to breastfeed; but failed miserably. So vivid were the memories of cracks, blisters and incorrect latching, that when my second daughter was born, I didn't think twice about formula feeding. However, unlike my oldest daughter, my youngest can't tolerate regular formulas such as Similac With Iron and Isomil. After switching formulas several times, my daughter's pediatrician finally had me try Enfamil Nutramigen; the last resort for babies with sensitive bellies.

~*~Cost~*~

A l lb/16oz cn of powdered Enfamil Nutramigen costs me $19.98 a pop at Wal-Mart. Enfamil Nutramigen also comes in liquid form as well as ready to feed nursette bottles and 32 oz ready to use liquid cans. The concentrated cans run around $5.60 each at Wal-Mart. The nursettes can only be purchased online or by phone and are home delivered through Enfamil. I have yet to find the ready to use liquid cans anywhere in my area! The powder and liquid forms of this formula can be found at discount stores such as Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and Target as well as most grocery stores, varying in price. While most grocery stores carry Enfamil Nutramigen I have found it to be more expensive there than it is at Wal-Mart.

~*~Product Description~*~

I purchase the powdered version of Enfamil Nutramigen. As I mentioned above, it comes in a 1lb/16oz can. The can is sealed and can be opened by the pop top ring. It comes with its own plastic scoop for measuring and mixing. The label of Enfamil Nutramigen is white and orange with the classic Enfamil bunny rabbits on the front.

Enfamil Nutramigen is a hypoallergenic formula created for babies with an allergy to cow's milk protein. This formula was also designed to help treat babies with colic. Enfamil Nutramigen has, according to Enfamil, "extensively hydrolyzed protein" which is easier for babies with a cow's milk protein allergy and/or colic to digest. Enfamil Nutramigen is iron fortified so that babies still get the necessary iron their little bodies need.

Mixing:

Enfamil Nutramigen is basically mixed like any other formula. To mix you pour the desired amount of water into the bottle then add the formula:

2 OZ bottle - 1 packed level scoop
4 OZ bottle - 2 packed level scoops
6 OZ bottle - 3 packed level scoops
8 OZ bottle - 4 packed level scoops
1 Quart - 29 FL OZ of water - 1 packed level measuring cup (8 OZ household measuring cup)

When properly diluted the 1lb can of powdered Enfamil Nutramigen will make approximately 112 fl oz, 3.5 qt of formula or 28 - 4 fl oz bottles.

The most important thing to note about preparing this particular formula is that unlike other formulas, you must pack the scoop.

The liquid, concentrated form of Enfamil Nutramigen comes in cans of I believe 13 OZ. They are to be mixed with equal parts water. Like the powdered form, it is to be refrigerated and used within 48 hours.

Enfamil Nutramigen is a much thicker powder than other formulas. The color and smell is different as well. While it basically mixes the same, this formula has less bubbles and must be used within a shorter time frame. Mixed formula must be used immediately or refrigerated. Once refrigerated it must be used within 48 hours. Sometimes, when refrigerated this formula will separate. Be sure to shake the bottle well before feeding.

Ingredients:

Corn Syrup Solids (47%), Vegetable Oil (Palm Olein, Soy, Coconut and High Oleic Sunflower Oils) (24%), Casein Hydrolysate (17%), Modified Corn Starch (7%), and less than 2% Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E Acetate, Vitamin K1, Thiamin Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12, Niacinamide, Folic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Ascorbic Acid, Choline Chloride Inositol, Calcium Citrate, Calcium Hydroxide, Calcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Sodium Iodide, Sodium Citrate, Potassium Citrate, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Selente, Acetylated Monoglycerides, L-Cystine, L-Tyrosine, L-Tryptophan, Taurine, L-Carntine.

Nutrients, Per 100 Calories:

Selenium - 2.8
Sodium - 47 mg
Potassium - 110 mg
Chloride - 86 mg

Each can of Enfamil Nutramigen has an embossed date on the bottom of the can. The formula must be used by this date.

As with any formula, please consult your baby's pediatrician before switching to or from Enfamil Nutramigen.

~*~Our Experience~*~

Before I begin explaining our experience with Enfamil Nutramigen let me first tell you a little bit about my daughter's condition. My daughter doesn't have the classic colic symptoms; uncontrollable crying, etc. When she was a mere 8 days old, she caught a gastro intestinal virus from her pediatrician's office. This in turn caused her to develop an intolerance to cow's milk proteins. It's hard to go into details about why this occurs, but it is usually only temporary. Unfortunately it has become a long standing problem with my daughter.

By the time the pediatrician told us to start my daughter on Enfamil Nutramigen I was at my wits end. She had been suffering from severe diarrhea for several weeks as well as blood in her stools. She was switched from formula to formula, and none of them helped her condition. Finally, the pediatrician told us that Enfamil Nutramigen was our absolute last resort before sending her to a specialist. Not wanting my baby to undergo any invasive testing, I kept my fingers crossed that Enfamil Nutramigen would work.

I had expected Enfamil Nutramigen to be pretty expensive. Needless to say, I was right. A 1lb can of this formula lasts us approximately 3-4 days. At nearly $20.00 a can, it really adds up. Thankfully Enfamil is great about sending out money saving checks; sometimes for as much as $5.00 off one can of formula! Despite the cost, Enfamil Nutramigen is an excellent formula that has really worked wonders for my little girl. It's well worth every penny!

Now, for some of the basics that I have noticed about this formula in comparison to the other ones we tried. Enfamil Nutramigen is a much thicker and, for lack of a better word, "softer" powdered formula. It has to be packed in the scoop when preparing and the thickness makes it easy to do so. It is light cream in color and doesn't have that strong "formula" type smell to it. This isn't to say that it doesn't smell bad, it just doesn't smell nearly as bad as say Similac with Iron. The lighter color also means that spit up stains aren't nearly as dark!

One of the first things I noticed about Enfamil Nutramigen is that when it's mixed, it doesn't have a large layer of frothy bubbles at the top, like other formulas do. This means that my daughter doesn't wind up swallowing a bunch of foam first, upsetting her tummy even worse.

Before we started using Enfamil Nutramigen the pediatrician warned us that it could take up to a week before we saw any improvement in my daughter's condition. Within 2 days I saw a drastic improvement in my daughter. The diarrhea and gas subsided quickly. She used to cry in pain from the intestinal cramping caused by the diarrhea. However, that improved immediately as well. Feeding her became much more pleasant as she was no longer screaming in pain before finishing two ounces of formula. Within a week her stools were completely normal, and our need for Mylicon Drops dropped substantially.

Another symptom my daughter has experienced due to her allergy, is atopic eczema. My oldest daughter had this condition as well, so I chalked it up to genes. It wasn't until just a day ago that I found out this is one of the main symptoms of a protein allergy! My daughter's pediatrician never mentioned the allergy could be the cause, he just simply prescribed topical ointments for her skin. Unforunately, this is one symptom that Enfamil Nutramigen hasn't helped. I'm not sure if perhaps her skin condition is totally related to the protein allergy or just partially.

My only complaint, and it isn't even related to the makers of Enfamil Nutramigen is that this formula is extremely hard to find in my area. Every time I have gone to purchase a can I have had to go to two or three different stores. Sometimes Wal-Mart has it, sometimes they don't, sometimes Winn Dixie has it when Wal-Mart doesn't, and so on. I'm not sure if this formula is just widely used, or, if the stores in my area just don't bother to keep it well stocked.

~*~Overall Opinion~*~

I would highly, very highly recommend Enfamil Nutramigen. For any parent who has ever watched their child suffer from the symptoms of a protein allergy, you know how heart wrenching it is. This formula really was a life saver for my daughter, and I can't even begin to thank the makers of Enfamil enough for making it!! If your baby has colic, or the symptoms of a protein allergy, and no other formula has worked, talk with your doctor about Enfamil Nutramigen!

Enfamil Nutramigen Ready to Use Hypoallergenic Infant Formula with Iron, 32 fl oz (Pack of 6)

Nourish your baby with the Enfamil Nutramigen Ready to Use Hypoallergenic Infant Formula with Iron. It is a gently formulated nutrition drink that hel...

Enfamil Nutramigen Powder Formula - 19.8 Ounce

If your baby has an allergy to the cow's milk protein in infant formula, only Nutramigen with Enflora LGG contains the two ingredients extensively hyd...
Enfamil - Nutramigen Infant Formula, 19.8 Oz. - 4 Pk

Enfamil - Nutramigen Infant Formula, 19.8 Oz. - 4 Pk

For Newborns Infants 0 - 12 months For cow's milk allergy Hypoallergenic infant formula with Iron 4 pack, each can is 19.80 oz. = 79.2 oz. total Descr...

Enfamil Nutramigen with Lipil Infant Formula Powder - 19.8 oz. (4 Pack)

Enfamil Nutramigen with Lipil Infant Formula Powder - 19.8 oz. (4 Pack)

Find baby formula and supplements at Target.com! Nutritionally balanced enfamil nutramigen lipil powder infant formula is the perfect substitute for b...

Enfamil - Nutramigen Infant Formula, 19.8 Oz - 4 Pk (s3397)

Enfamil - Nutramigen Infant Formula, 19.8 Oz - 4 Pk (s3397)

For Newborns Infants 0 - 12 months For cow's milk allergy Hypoallergenic infant formula with Iron 4 pack, each can is 19.80 oz. = 79.2 oz. total Nutra...

Mead Johnson Nutrition Infant Formula Nutramigen™ 32 Oz. - Mon99112601

Mead Johnson Nutrition Infant Formula Nutramigen™ 32 Oz. - Mon99112601

Mead Johnson Nutrition: Clinically proven to effectively manage colic due to cow's milk protein allergy in 48 hoursIncreased level of choline to be cl...

Mead Johnson Nutrition Infant Formula Nutramigen™ 32 Oz., 6ea/cs - Mon

Mead Johnson Nutrition Infant Formula Nutramigen™ 32 Oz., 6ea/cs - Mon

Enfamil Nutramigen Powder Formula - 19.8 Ounce

Nutramigen(R) LIPIL(R) Concentrated Liquid Infant Formula, 13 Fl. Oz. Can, Case Of 12

Hypoallergenic formula for infants who are sensitive to the intact protein found in milk-based and soy-based formulas Contains extensively hydrolyzed ...
Office Depot