Opi Natural Nail Base Coat

4 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: Excellent

A must have for home manicures! OPI Natural Nail Base Coat

Aug 17, 2002 (Updated Aug 18, 2002)

Pros:quick dry time; manicures last longer, no nail staining

Cons:none for me

The Bottom Line: I've found OPI's Natural Nail Base Coat to be a must have for my home manicures!

Even though I've always been more a tomboy (yes, really! Growing up with two brothers can do that to a person.), I've been painting my nails for years and years. I cannot remember a time when I didn't have my finger and toe nails painted. I've learned quite a bit about the home manicure over the years, having gotten just one manicure done at a salon (on my wedding day). I've found that a base coat is a need if you're going to paint your nails. You need a base coat for a few reasons. One, so your nail bed doesn't turn yellow (or orange) from the nail polish and two so the nail polish will stick to your nails better.

In the past I would simply use a clear nail polish for my base coat; then I decided to see what the hype was about and purchased a base coat made by Sally Hansen. I wasn't impressed. Once that was gone, I decided to try out my beloved OPI and see if they could convince me. Enter: OPI Natural Nail Base Coat!

About the Product

Like all OPI products, you can purchase OPI Natural Nail Base Coat at Trade Secret Stores (see www.tradesecret.com for a location near you); JCPenney's as well as many salons. In fact, my Longs Drugs has started selling OPI as well! I believe this sells for $9 - $10 retail; but am not completely sure since I got my full sized bottle as part of a OPI kit.

OPI Natural Nail Base Coat comes in the traditional clear glass bottle with thick black screw on/off top. The bottle holds 0.5 fl. oz. of product. It's a very runny, clear liquid that is tinted pink - don't worry, it may be clear pink, but it goes on totally clear. It's quite a bit thinner than OPI's Nail Lacquer.

Here's what OPI has to say about their product:

"Extended-Wear Formula. Keratin-enriched formula prevents staining of natural nails and promotes a long lasting manicure."

-- above quote taken from www.opi.com

Ingredients: Butyl Acetate, Toluene, Ethyl Acetate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Tosylamide/Fermaldehyde/Resin, Polyvinyl Butyrol, Nitrocellulose, Camphor, Benzophenone-1, Isostearoyl Hydrolyzed Protein, Keratin Amino Acids.

bops_mom's OPI Natural Nail Base Coat Experience

My first thought was why is it pink?! I hate pink! Thankfully it goes on totally clear.

Applying couldn't be easier. The brush applicator is the high quality I've come to expect from OPI. One coat of OPI's Natural Nail Base Coat will dry in a minute. No, I'm not kidding. By the time I'm done with both hands, I can start over for the second coat. After this second coat I will usually wait as many as 5 minutes before starting in with my OPI Nail Lacquer -- just to be sure.

I do use two coats of OPI Natural Nail Base Coat so I can't comment on what it would be like to use just one. However, with my using two coats of OPI Natural Nail Base Coat with every manicure I give myself I honestly have noticed a huge difference. My nail polish (Nail Lacquer) seems to go on smoother, it lasts longer (up to 14 days on finger nails; as long as 6 weeks on toe nails), and my nails have not become stained even once since I started using this product.

For those who don't care to use any nail polish, but just want well groomed nails, you can use OPI's Natural Nail Base Coat alone or top it with a coat of OPI's RapiDry Top Coat.

I'm not 100% sure OPI Natural Nail Base Coat has made my nails stronger but I can safely say it hasn't made them weaker. Weak nails aren't really a problem for me, but I'm willing to bet that if OPI says this product can help with weak nails that it does.

A few words on the name of this product. It's called OPI Natural Nail Base Coat because it is made for natural nails, not fake nails. If you wear fake nails (also know as acrylics) I suggest you get rid of them (hahahha), but seriously, OPI makes a nail base coat just for acrylic nails. They call it OPI Acrylic Base Coat.

I've been using OPI Natural Nail Base Coat for at least 6 months now and I tend to do my finger nails once a week (and toe nails once every 3-4 weeks). My bottle of OPI Natural Nail Base Coat is less than half gone. So, this stuff will last ya!

bops_mom's Recommendation

I have to tell you, I'm now sold on using a base coat product instead of just a clear nail polish as a base coat. I love OPI's Natural Nail Base Coat! It really does make the nail polish go on easier and make my manicures last longer. It's kept my nails from getting those unsightly stains that nail polish can give and it dries in record time -- even quicker than the clear nail polish I had been using for years.

If you do home manicures, I highly recommend you pick up a bottle of OPI Natural Nail Base Coat and see the results for yourself. I do not think you'll be disappointed!

Thanks for reading!

~ Melissa :o)

OPI Nail Lacquer:

OPI RapiDry Top Coat

[opi] Acrylic Nail Base Coat, 15 Ml/0.5 Fl. Oz Free Shipping

[opi] Acrylic Nail Base Coat, 15 Ml/0.5 Fl. Oz Free Shipping

ACRYLIC NAIL BASE COAT 100% Authenticity Guaranteed FREE SHIPPING (IN U.S ONLY) inkfrog terapeak inkFrog Analytics

OPI Natural Nail Base Coat - 0.5 oz

OPI Natural Nail Base Coat - 0.5 oz

What it is: OPI Natural Nail Base Coat is a smooth base coat you can apply under any nail polish to extend its wear. What it does: It has an extended-...
SleekHair.com
OPI Base Coat Top Coat & Nail Strengthener Formaldehyde-Free Formula .5 fl oz

OPI Base Coat Top Coat & Nail Strengthener Formaldehyde-Free Formula .5 fl oz

Start to Finish Exclusive ProWide Brush - Patent Pending Start-to-Finish is a breakthrough, three-in-one nail treatment that combines a base coat, t...
drugstore.com

※opi Nail Polish ( Natural Nail Base Coat ) 0.5oz/15ml.

Safety Information Use in well ventilated area. Do not use near heat or flame. Keep away from children Ingredients Butyl Acetate, Toluene, Ethyl Aceta...

OPI Base Coat Top Coat & Nail Strengthener Regular Formula .5 fl oz

OPI Base Coat Top Coat & Nail Strengthener Regular Formula .5 fl oz

drugstore.com

※opi Nail Polish ( Natural Nail Base Coat ) 0.5oz/15ml.

div style=text-align:centerimg src=http://ti2.auctiva.com/sw/java.gif border=0br table align=centertr td height=28px valign=middle align=centerfont fa...

Nicole-by Opi-sleigh That Again-nail Lacquer-new

Nicole-by Opi-sleigh That Again-nail Lacquer-new

Nicole-By OPI-Sleigh That Again-Nail Lacquer-New This is a rare, and hard to find Christmas color..5 Fl. Oz Due to the nature of this product, I am un...

Nicole by OPI Nail Lacquer - Gold Texture Coat

Nicole by OPI Nail Lacquer - Gold Texture Coat

Find manicure and pedicure at Target.com! Add a glamorous accent to any outfit with this mod gold nail polish.

O.p.i Natural Nail Base Coat Nt T10 Nail Essential 15 Ml. 0.5 Oz - Product

O.p.i Natural Nail Base Coat Nt T10 Nail Essential 15 Ml. 0.5 Oz - Product

O.P.I Nail E ssential Natural Nail Base Coat 15 ml / 0.5 oz *Base Coat - The perfect base for O.P.I nail lacquer.Makes color stay on nails longer.Give...