OXO Good Grips Flour Sifter Reviews

OXO Good Grips Flour Sifter

Create a Shower of Flour, No Lumps or Gripes with OXO GoodGrips Flour Sifter

Sep 1, 2002 (Updated Sep 1, 2002)

Pros:OXO, stainless, no crank or trigger, just shake-shake-shake! Lifetime warranty, "lid"

Cons:none

The Bottom Line: One-handed flour sifting, if you so desire, and no dusting of flour in the cabinet with the "end cap" so conveniently provided by OXO.

The OXO Good Grips Flour Sifter is most definitely a better flour sifter than ever I have seen or used before. Sifting flour isn't a difficult thing to do no matter what the sifter you own, but the OXO people have devised a better than the average sifter -- and I had to have one.

Cranky? Itchy Trigger Finger (or is that carpal tunnel syndrome)?

I've owned "the others" (great movie by the same name, by the way), and they have made their way down the pike . . . actually I've given them the heave-ho -- they require too much of me, and they still give me lumps I have to either toss or work out with my fingers through the fine mesh in their bottoms.

You may own one of these or two, too. I bought one of each, hoping one would prove better or easier to use. Neither offered any real "aha!" moment for me . . .

The "crank sifter" with the wooden or plastic handle on the end of the crank, which you turn in order to turn the wire bale inside the sifter and release the clumping lumps of flour you've measured into it. Always, I ended up abandoning the crank and either shaking the sifter in mid air or tapping it against the side of the mixing bowl to release the flour. Then, I either threw out or ground out the lumps that remained. It's now a sandbox toy.

The "squeeze and release" sifter that offers a big deal "fan" under the mesh to finely sift flour -- maybe good for strengthening your fingers but is a pain to use, and sometimes painful, to boot. I pinched my fingers a few times, and as with the crank sifter, I ended up simply shaking or tapping the sifter. Yard-saled it.

And then OXO came out with the OXO Good Grips Flour Sifter. "Here we go again . . ." was my first thought.

Here We Go Again

To the store to buy another OXO product. I took a look at the OXO Good Grips Flour Sifter and saw the difference immediately in it.

It requires only side-to-side shaking or tapping of the unit against a bowl to release the flour. I think I already invented this.

Amazing, knowing your alternate method (when you've given up on the "real way" to use a product) makes the big time and is produced by OXO.

Don't Let It Sift Through Your Fingers

The OXO Good Grips Flour Sifter sifts flour or confectioner's sugar in a manner to which you will quickly become accustomed: SIMPLE.

The sifter is comprised of a stainless cylinder with a fine mesh screen across the bottom end, above the screen is the sifter "device" -- a stainless pitch fork-shaped piece through which flour may move. This is attached to the handle side of the sifter, and moves in a side-to-side motion, like a horizontal pendulum as you turn the sifter right to left and back again.

The handle of the sifter, made of OXO's GoodGrips material (processed rubber called "Santoprene") has no trigger or anything else attached to it. Just a comfortable handle to grip easily. The GoodGrips padding conforms to your hand as you use the sifter, and you won't get any tender spots on your hand from using it, no matter if you're sifting one cup or ten.

The crowning glory -- or is it a shoe? -- is the lid for the bottom of the sifter which you may use for storing the OXO Good Grips Flour Sifter without dusting your cabinet or shelf with flour or sugar. Innovative, and something that could have made news years ago on any other sifter. This is a common sense idea, as is usual with OXO products. They get to the necessities while everyone else is working on bells and whistles.

The OXO Good Grips Flour Sifter holds up to three cups of flour or sugar, and offers measurement markings on the side for your convenience. That way, if you need 3 cups of flour, sifted, just add three cups (with the cap on the bottom so it doesn' all sift out!) to the sifter and away you go!

**Baking note: "1 cup of sifted flour" in a recipe means that you sift the flour first, then measure it. Conversely, "1 cup of flour, sifted" means to add one cup of flour the the sifter and use the entire amount in the recipe. Read your recipe carefully, as this is the difference between an edible baked product and sawdust.

Cleaning Ease

Need to clean the OXO Good Grips Flour Sifter before your first use or after your last one? Place it in the dishwasher, or wash it in the sink with the rest of the bakeware.

The only trick to the OXO Good Grips Flour Sifter, as far as cleaning in the sink goes, is to allow the sifter mechanism a good long drying time, since you really can't get to the inner parts to dry them. I "sift air" a few times to get most of the water out, the leave the OXO Good Grips Flour Sifter on a towel for a few hours, then "sift air" again. Not difficult, not time-consuming, and necessary, as water stuck inside will only aid in making lumps in your flour or sugar.

The sifter does not need a washing after every use, just as your flour canister does not get a cleaning after every use. I wash my OXO Good Grips Flour Sifter . . . well, I washed it before I used it for the first time!

Doo-Wah-Diddy-Diddy Dum Ditty-Do

And if you think you won't get rhythms going or have songs running through your head, you have another thing coming.

I have sifted along with (you preschool parents will appreciate this) "The Bear Cha-Cha-Cha", the theme from "Stanley", and don't even get me started on "Blue's Clues". For those with more swing in their step, "The Syncopated Clock" comes to mind, as does "In the Mood", and pretty much anything "Big Band".

If it has a good beat, it makes good sifting music, and the OXO Good Grips Flour Sifter makes a fine, though fairly quiet, marracca. Do your own sound effects and have a flour sack of fun.

This Is No Sandbox Toy

The inner part of the OXO Good Grips Flour Sifter will not rust, and neither will the outer parts.

The OXO lifetime warranty covers any parts that malfunction, as long as it's a factory problem. Don't go letting the kids sift sand with this, jam it all up, then trying to cash in on the warranty . . . that's not a factory problem. This little beauty is not a sandbox toy. Give them your old sifter -- the one with the crank -- and let them grind away at the sand and the pebbles.

Meanwhile, enjoy a little sifting in silence . . . well almost. Is that Bill Haley and his Comets I hear?

Oxo Good Grips Flour Sifter, Free Shipping,

Oxo Good Grips Flour Sifter, Free Shipping,

OXO Good Grips Flour Sifter, Free Shipping, New Details: Manufacturer: OXO Size: Color: Item Dimensions: Length: 8.19 inches Width: 5.75 inches Height...

OXO Sifter

OXO Sifter

Sift ingredients quicker and easier just by shaking the sifter. No more difficult levers; simply shake the sifter from side to side to sprinkle flour,...
Sur La Table

Oxo Good Grips Flour Sifter

Oxo Good Grips Flour Sifter

OXO Good Grips Flour Sifter Upgrade to 2-Day Air for just $5.99! $19.95 $15.86 Details Manufacturer: OXO Color: Item Dimensions Length: 6.7 Width: 5.8...

Cuisipro Scoop And Sift Flour Sifter

Cuisipro Scoop And Sift Flour Sifter

Cuisipro Scoop and Sift Flour Sifter Item Description Today's home chef demands tools that deliver consistent, superior performance with every use. Cu...