Oatey 4OZ Teflon Pipe Compound (038753312309)

I Hate Plumbing But I Love Oatey Teflon Pipe Compound

Aug 6, 2009 (Updated Aug 9, 2009)

Pros:Cheap - 1 can will last homeowners forever,  Easy to use applicator,  Tight seal.

Cons:Can be a bit messy to work with

The Bottom Line: Oatey Great White Pipe Joint Compound is simple to use, provides a great seal while lubricating threaded connections.  I actually don't mind simple plumbing jobs I used to dread.

I consider myself fairly handy around the house and willing to tackle most household projects.  Admittedly, I prefer to pass on most plumbing projects but there's no doubt in my mind that Oatey Teflon Pipe Compound has definitely made projects easier, allowing me to complete jobs I wouldn't have considered before.   I most recently grabbed this compound because we were in the middle of remodeling our upstairs bathroom.

In the past, I've used various products and always seemed to have problems getting the threaded connections to seal without some difficulty.  This compound will offer a simple two-step process for most any threaded connection.  This joint compound is sold in a screw-top can with a convenient applicator brush built in.  Simply brush some of the compound onto the male threads and tighten down the female end.  You should have a tight seal in seconds.  The compound also keeps the threaded joint lubricated, which should keep the connections easy to separate should the need arise in the future to uncouple the connection.

The actual compound is a white, thick paste that will not harden over time.  The consistency makes the compound easy to use since it's thick enough to adhere to the threads and remain in place regardless of position while making final connections.  The paste is also made of a non-toxic formula which is of importance on potable water lines.  If I was pressed to find something to complain about, I guess it would stem from the idea this stuff can be a bit messy to work with.  That being said, the extra compound does wipe up fairly easily and it's not too difficult to clean off your hands when the job's complete.  Professional plumbers may steer you to one of many other choices by manufacturer's such as Loctite but you will find many of those options expensive... I mean extremely expensive...  and for my own purposes, just don't see the need to spend the extra cash.

The manufacturer claims this pipe dope withstands up to 3,000 PSI on gases at temperatures ranging from -50° to +400°F, and 10,000 PSI on liquids from -50° to +500°F.   This information makes Oatey Teflon Pipe Compound a real good choice for almost any plumbing connection.

The folks at Oatey suggest use with water, steam, natural or LP gas, oil, caustics or dilute acid lines.    Although my experience over the years is limited to steel and brass fittings, this product should work equally well on PVC, CPVC, ABS, cycolac, polypropylene, iron or copper.

I purchased the 4oz can for $3.47 some time ago.  It has lasted through several projects around the house as well as the condominium we purchased and remodeled in the East Lansing area and there's still over half the product left in the can.  The can's screw top allows you to reseal the remaining product for future use.  I have owned the can I recently used for at least two years.  The remaining contents still show no signs of drying and I fully expect it to be usable for years.

Since discovering Oatey Teflon Pipe CompoundI no longer dread simple plumbing projects I once refused to tackle.  I had the supply lines attached to the two faucets in a matter of minutes.  Connections are now leak-free on the first attempt and remain problem-free long after the projects are completed.  Based on the great price, ease of use and the positive long-lasting results, I have to offer a full five-star rating as well as a definite buy rating here at Epinions.

For a sealing around fixtures and toilets, consider Harvey's Plumber's Putty as a good, inexpensive option..

Oatey 16 oz. Pipe Joint Sealant 306142

Oatey 16 oz. Pipe Joint Sealant 306142

Pipe Seal is designed as a caulking lead alternative for sealing cast iron soil pipe joints. The product is waterproof and goes on like caulk and drie...
Home Depot

Oatey 33951 Tube Pipe Insulators 3/4 Cts Qty 50

Oatey 33951 Tube Pipe Insulators 3/4 Cts Qty 50

Oatey 33951 Tube Pipe Insulators 3/4 CTS This is a brand new bag of 50 insulators. We only offer free shipping to the 48 contiguous states. We do not ...
Oatey 38708 4 Mil-Pipe Guard, Red, 200-Feet per Carton 1/2-Inch, 3/4-Inch, 1-Inch

Oatey Electrical Solder 4oz. 53016

Oatey Electrical Solder 4oz. 53016

Oatey Electrical Solder 40% Tin 60% Lead 4oz.53016 Professional Grade

Oatey 1/2x260 Pink Pipe Thread Tape 31402d

Oatey 1/2x260 Pink Pipe Thread Tape 31402d

Oatey 1/2X260 Pink Pipe Thread Tape 31402D Provides Fast Positive Seal for Water Lines, Sewage Lines, and Sprinkler Systems. Effective On Metal Or Pla...

Oatey 200 ft. Blue (Cold) Pipe Guard 38707

Oatey 200 ft. Blue (Cold) Pipe Guard 38707

The Oatey 200 ft. Blue (Cold) Pipe Guard is made of 4 mil polyethylene and is designed to protect copper or plastic piping from corrosion when buried ...
Home Depot

Oatey 53016 Electrical Solder 4oz. 40% Tin/60% Lead

Oatey 53016 Electrical Solder 4oz. 40% Tin/60% Lead

ABOUT US | SHIPPING | PAYMENT | RETURNS | CONTACT NEW OATEY 53016 ELECTRICAL SOLDER 4 OZ. 40% TIN/60% LEAD Product Features and Specs For sheet metal ...