Ol' Roy Dry Dog Food Lamb and Rice Flavor

Ol' Roy Dry Dog Food Lamb and Rice Flavor

Nov 27, 2003

Pros:balanced and nutritious, vitamins and minerals for a complete meal

Cons:my dog simply won't eat it

The Bottom Line: I do not recommend Ol' Roy Dry Dog Food Lamb and Rice Flavor. It contains too many fillers and Clyde won't eat it.

Sadly, I must report that Clyde absolutely refuses to eat Ol' Roy Lamb and Rice Flavor Dry Dog Food! It has been several weeks of trying to get him to enjoy these small rounded nuggets.

He looks at me as though I have two heads, sniffs and walks away. Today was the final straw when he just nudged his bowl out of his view!

Many of the products in the line of Ol' Roy Dry Dog Foods that I have been feeding my pal, Clyde, has been met with raves and I had no reason to think that the Lamb and Rice Flavor would yield such disappointing results. Yet, although this brand of dog food proclaims to be manufactured with nutritious, great tasting ingredients, my young adult dog refuses to eat it.

There was one day that I decided to dress the dry food up a bit with some of his favorite Ol' Roy Hearty Cuts and Gravy and he managed to eat around the nuggets, leaving most of them in his bowl. It seemed that Clyde was not having anything to do with this food and I wondered why since he seemed to have little dislike for the other flavors.

Ol' Roy Dry Dog Food Lamb and Rice Flavor is not as flavorful, apparently, as some of the other flavors of Ol' Roy dry food. I still believe in these foods and I will continue to feed my dog a wide variety of the dry food, the moist food and the canned products with much success.

Perhaps it's in the Ingredients
The first ingredient listed in this particular flavor is lamb meal. I would have preferred it if it were actual lamb or flavored with lamb broth.

The next ingredient is brewer's rice and then soybean meal and yellow corn. I suppose Clyde is wondering where's the beef? Or in this case, the lamb.

Ingredients from each bag:
lamb meal, brewer's rice, soybean meal, ground yellow corn, ground wheat, wheat middlings, beef tallow, wheat flour, corn gluten meal, animal digest, salt, L-lysine mono-hydrochloride, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, copper Sulfate, Choline Chloride,zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin D and E Supplement, Niacin, Manganous sulfate, folic Acid, D calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A supplement, Calcium Iodate, riboflavin Supplement, garlic oil, pyridoxine Hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, folic Acid, menadione sodium bisolfite complex (source of Vitamin K), calcium iodate, sodium selenite

Apparently, the Ol' Roy Dry Dog Food Lamb and Rice Flavor is not as tasty due to the excess of filler type ingredients that may not be as flavorful. I will be a bit more diligent in checking the ingredients listed in any additional purchases of Ol' Roy dry dog foods.

Clyde's Reaction
I know that Clyde normally eats just about anything that is placed before him. He seems to love most of the other dog food products manufactured in the Ol' Roy line. In the past several weeks, my attempts to feed my dog this flavor have been frustrating for bothe the animal and for me.

The Ol' Roy brand of dry dog foods are 100% complete and balanced so I am not detered from continuing to purchase this brand. I look at it this way, I don't eat everything that is supposed to be good for me. Therefore, I don't expect my pet will love every flavor that I place before him. And, that is okay.

Final Thoughts and Recommendations
I have been attempting to tease my dog into finishing off this bag of Ol' Roy Dry Dog Food Lamb and Rice Flavor by adding cooked chicken cutlet cut into small pieces. This seems to be doing the trick. I am disappointed that my pet did not enjoy this flavor, however, I am confident that your dog just might.

Therefore, my recommendation is to try it out on your dog and if he hates the flavor then steer clear of the Ol' Roy Dry Dog Food Lamb and Rice Flavor.

I will continue to introduce additional Ol' Roy Dry Dog Food into my pet's diet because I am confident that his coat will continue to shine, his teeth and gums will continue to look healthy and his activity level will continue to increase.

I give Ol' Roy Dry Dog Food Lamb and Rice Flavor two out of five stars.

Ol' Roy: Meaty Chunks & Gravy Dog Food, 40 lb

Ol' Roy: Meaty Chunks & Gravy Dog Food, 40 lb

Give your dog complete nutrition with Ol' Roy: Meaty Chunks & Gravy Dog Food. This 40 pound dry dog food is made with high-quality ingredients and is ...

Ol' Roy Meaty Chunks and Gravy Dog Food, 15 lbs

Ol' Roy Meaty Chunks and Gravy Dog Food, 15 lbs

This food features the delicious meaty taste dogs love. Serve dry or add water for a homestyle meal with gravy. Features 100 percent complete and bala...

Ol' Roy Healthy Mix Original Dog Food, 3.5 lb

Ol' Roy Healthy Mix Original Dog Food, 3.5 lb

A happy, healthy dog starts from within. Bright eyes, a shiny coat and boundless amounts of energy are all traits of a happy, healthy dog. And we want...

Ol' Roy Gourmet Dog Food Pack, 12ct

Ol' Roy Gourmet Dog Food Pack, 12ct

AAFCO procedures substantiate that Ol' Roy Gourmet Chicken Dinner in Gravy Dog Food, Ol' Roy Gourmet Turkey in Gravy Dog Food and Ol' Roy Gourmet Lamb...

Ol' Roy Complete Nutrition Dog Food, 50 lb

Ol' Roy Complete Nutrition Dog Food, 50 lb

Ol' Roy Complete Nutrition Dog Food is made with a recipe designed to create a meaty taste that will appeal to your dog. This large bag contains 50 lb...

Ol' Roy Complete Nutrition Dog Food, 30 lbs

Ol' Roy Complete Nutrition Dog Food, 30 lbs

A happy and healthy dog starts from within. Bright eyes, a shiny coat and boundless amounts of energy are all traits of a happy, healthy dog. And Ol' ...