Ol' Roy Grilled Strips Dog Treats Reviews

Ol' Roy Grilled Strips Dog Treats

ratings (1 Epinions review)

Ol' Roy Grilled Strips Dog Treats

Jun 13, 2011

Pros:Our dog loves them.  Contain real chicken.  Good price.

Cons:Contain BHA and not natural preservatives

The Bottom Line: I found these a good value and the ingredients are better than many dog treats on the market today.

Every once in a while I find a value priced dog food or dog treat that meets my criteria.  I have been buying our 12 year old Australian Silky Terrier chicken treats called Purina Carvers Roasted Slices, but they are very expensive so I started to look for alternatives.

I found a large 25 ounce bag of Ol' Roy Grilled Dog Treats at Walmart for round $5.00.  The 16 ounce bag of Purina Carvers retailed for almost $16.00.  That is a very big difference!

Description

Ol' Roy Grilled Strips come in a foil lined resealable pouch.  Smaller sizes can be purchased in canisters, but they contain the same product.

The strips are chicken colored and measure 3" by 1/2", and have black "grill marks" placed at an angle every 1/2".  They are soft treats that are easy to chew.

Product Claims

Crude Fat: Minimum 9%
Crude Fiber: Max 1.5%
Moisture: 33%

How Does Abby Like Them?

Abby has been getting the Purina Carvers for a while now, so I wasn't sure how she would react to the Ol' Roy treats.  She is a fussy eater, but she loves chicken, so I figured she'd like these.

I did a test to see which treat she liked the best.  I had her sit in place, then I laid the Carvers and the Ol' Roy treats side by side on the floor.  When I called her to me she ate the Ol' Roy treat first.  My daughter said I needed to do the test again to be sure it wasn't just a fluke.  The next time I switched the placement of the two treats, but she still went for the Ol' Roy.  She loves them!

The ingredients in the Carvers are better because the first ingredient is chicken, in fact they are made with 80% real chicken.  Ol' Roy has real chicken as well, but it is the 3rd ingredient listed.  Carvers uses more natural preservatives, and the Ol' Roy contains BHA (Butylated hydroxyanisole), which some buyers avoid because of fears that it is a carcinogen.  (Our dog already has a cancerous mast cell tumor).

BHA is found in foods that humans consume, generally foods that have fat substitutes or foods that contain oils.  BHA is also found in certain statin medications for humans.

While feeding the Ol' Roy Grilled Strips Dog Treats to our dog there has been no change in her digestion.  I must admit that the Carvers treats do smell more like real chicken, but our dog actually prefers the Ol' Roy treats.

Our Abby is 12 years old and her teeth are not in the best shape.  She has a hard time eating hard treats like dog biscuits (unless they are very small).  She is able to eat these grilled strips easily.  I feel they are a good value and I'll continue to look for them at Walmart stores.

Ol Roy Grilled Strips Dog Treats come with a satisfaction guarantee.  They will either replace them or refund your money.  They are marketed by Walmart stores.

~~~Special thanks to our Pets Lead, Billie (ladysmom) for adding this product to the Epinions database for me.~~~

Ol' Roy Grilled Strips Dog Treats, 25 oz

Ol' Roy Grilled Strips Dog Treats, 25 oz

Ol' Roy Grilled treats for dogs, 25 oz package, let you treat your pooch with tasty chicken. These savory strips are made with real chicken and contai...

Ol' Roy Complete Nutrition Dog Food, 50 lb

Ol' Roy Complete Nutrition Dog Food, 50 lb

Ol' Roy Complete Nutrition Dog Food is made with a recipe designed to create a meaty taste that will appeal to your dog. This large bag contains 50 lb...

Ol' Roy Gourmet Dog Food Pack, 12ct

Ol' Roy Gourmet Dog Food Pack, 12ct

AAFCO procedures substantiate that Ol' Roy Gourmet Chicken Dinner in Gravy Dog Food, Ol' Roy Gourmet Turkey in Gravy Dog Food and Ol' Roy Gourmet Lamb...

Ol' Roy Complete Nutrition Dog Food, 30 lbs

Ol' Roy Complete Nutrition Dog Food, 30 lbs

A happy and healthy dog starts from within. Bright eyes, a shiny coat and boundless amounts of energy are all traits of a happy, healthy dog. And Ol' ...

Ol' Roy Complete Nutrition Dog Food, 15 lb