Ol' Roy High Performance Formula dry Dog Food Reviews

Ol' Roy High Performance Formula dry Dog Food

Ol' Roy High Performance Formula dry Dog Food

Feb 29, 2004

Pros:high in protein, crunch helps clean teeth, basted in real meat juices

Cons:dry nuggets are too small for large breeds

The Bottom Line: I recommend buying and feeding Ol' Roy High Performance Formula dry Dog Food to your small or medium size dogs.

Ol' Roy High Performance Formula dry Dog Food is definitely not one of Clyde's favorites in the Ol' Roy product line of quality pet foods. I thought that this particular formula would be one of my active young dog's newest rages, but sadly, I was mistaken.

I am a pet loving consumer who enjoys giving my dog a variety of textures and flavors in his diet. I have found that Clyde not only enjoys most of the dry foods in the Ol' Roy product line, but that he is very happy eating them, while he continues to be quite healthy.

However, some dog foods just do not seem as pleasing to Clyde's palette as many of the others. It's okay, really, because I don't like the way that every chicken dinner tastes or broiled steak dinners, for that matter. I cannot blame Clyde for not enjoying these crunchy little nuggets found in Ol' Roy High Performance Formula dry Dog Food. It is one of those rare findings that I can live with.

~Clyde's Reaction~
One of the first things that I noticed when pouring out the four cups of dry food into Clyde's dinner bowl is that these golden brown morsels are tiny! Oh, yes, the picture on the bag is definitely misleading. And, nowhere on the bag does it describe this High Performance Formula dog food as small pieces or iddy biddy crunchy squares.

It turns out that in observing my Clyde eating this dry food, more little nuggets drop out of the sides of his mouth than actually stay in and get chewed and swallowed. I felt really bad for my dog. How frustrating it was watching my boy struggle to keep the food in his mouth..

~Reasonable Compromise~
I noticed that Clyde was not thrilled with his latest Ol' Roy dog food. Since I had purchased the usual 20 pound bag for less than seven dollars at my local Wal-Mart, I had to devise a way to make this nutritious food more appealing and easier to chew. I opened a can of Hearty Cuts N Gravy Stew and poured the yummy hearty stew on top of the nuggets and mixed a little.

Clyde really went to town now and swallowed every bit of his food. In observing him, he appeared to enjoy the crunchy nuggets in this way! Who knew!? Actually, as an attentive dog owner, I did realize that the gravy from the canned food added some additional flavor to the dry nuggets, as well as a variety of textures from the other ingredients found in the stew.

~Puppies and Nursing Dogs~
Worth noting is that the High Performance Formula is recommended by veterinarians for puppies and pregnant dogs. It is suggested to feed puppies from 4 weeks of age to six months old this food three times a day moistened with warm water to keep the little pups active and healthy. From six months old to nine months of age, the suggested feeding schedule is reduced to twice daily along with dry nuggets left out at all times along with fresh water.

Pregant dogs need as much nutrition as possible. Ol' Roy High Performance dry Dog Food contains enough nutritional ingredients, minerals and vitamins to complete the dietary needs of these female animals.

~Guaranteed Analysis:~
Crude Protein, min........26.00%
Crude Fat, min............14.00%
Crude Fiber, max..........4.00%
Moisture, max.............12.00%
Linoleic Acid, min.........1.50%

~Ingredients from each bag:~
ground yellow corn, meat and bone meal, corn gluten meal, soybean meal, wheat middlings, animal fat, chicken by product meal, brewer's rice, animal digest, salt, potassium chloride, Choline Chloride, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc sulfate), Vitamin E, zinc Oxide, niacin, copper Sulfate, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, Vitamin A, Vitamin B12 Supplement, pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, menadione sodium bisolfite complex (source of Vitamin K), Calcium Iodate, D3 Supplement, calcium iodate, Vitamin A supplement, riboflavin Supplement, cobalt carbonate, thiamine mononitrate, folic Acid, sodium selenite

~Final Thoughts and Recommendations~
Ol' Roy High Performance Formula dry Dog Food came recommended to me by a fellow shopper who swore by the large amounts of protein found in the food. She claimed that her two German Shepherds were extremely active and shared similar traits as I described Clyde to her. I will say that Clyde is a bit more active since beginning his newest Ol' Roy dog food, however, I am not convinced that his extra energy is strictly food related.

We have been enjoying warmer winter temperatures recently, enabling Clyde to run around outside more, even playing with his frisbee. The additional high level of energy is in part due to the flavorful Ol' Roy High Performance Formula dry Dog Food and the rest is Clyde's young age, eagerness to play outside, and overall playful temperament.

If saving money on your grocery bill is important to you, then I definitely will recommend buying dog foods in the Ol' Roy product line, including the High Performance Formula.

Although my dog is not thrilled with the High Performance Formula, I do recommend it to other dog owners. Clyde did not like the small, iddy biddy nugget size, therefore I recommend this food for puppies and small or medium size dogs.

Ol' Roy Healthy Mix Original Dog Food, 3.5 lb

Ol' Roy Healthy Mix Original Dog Food, 3.5 lb

A happy, healthy dog starts from within. Bright eyes, a shiny coat and boundless amounts of energy are all traits of a happy, healthy dog. And we want...

Ol' Roy Complete Nutrition Dog Food, 50 lb

Ol' Roy Complete Nutrition Dog Food, 50 lb

Ol' Roy Complete Nutrition Dog Food is made with a recipe designed to create a meaty taste that will appeal to your dog. This large bag contains 50 lb...

Ol' Roy Grilled Strips Dog Treats, 25 oz

Ol' Roy Grilled Strips Dog Treats, 25 oz

Ol' Roy Grilled treats for dogs, 25 oz package, let you treat your pooch with tasty chicken. These savory strips are made with real chicken and contai...

Ol' Roy Gourmet Dog Food Pack, 12ct

Ol' Roy Gourmet Dog Food Pack, 12ct

AAFCO procedures substantiate that Ol' Roy Gourmet Chicken Dinner in Gravy Dog Food, Ol' Roy Gourmet Turkey in Gravy Dog Food and Ol' Roy Gourmet Lamb...

Ol' Roy Complete Nutrition Dog Food, 30 lbs

Ol' Roy Complete Nutrition Dog Food, 30 lbs

A happy and healthy dog starts from within. Bright eyes, a shiny coat and boundless amounts of energy are all traits of a happy, healthy dog. And Ol' ...