Olympic satin

Olympic Premium Exterior Latex paint, a tacky experience

Apr 18, 2010

Pros:Nice color selection

Cons:Takes forever to dry, darker color requires multiple coats, drips

The Bottom Line: Unless you live in the arid west with humidity below 10% expect this paint to take considerably longer than anticipated to dry. My recommendation is to avoid it altogether.

You make wise decisions, you read the can labels, you follow the steps and there are still problems. This is why I don't sew. No matter how well the instructions are read the final product has blunders but this time they weren't my fault. I'm not certain acts of God or weather (same thing) influenced the reason for my complaints.

The steps for painting a homemade Adirondack chair were well thought out. We were going to assemble it several days ago so I painted the pieces last week anticipating this final act. My paint, Olympic Premium Exterior Latex Satin, is Old Burgundy, which seemed an appropriate color for chairs used for sitting and sipping on summer evenings.

;The instructions advised to...

•prime bare wood with an appropriate primer

•paint when temperature is above 35 degrees

•avoid painting late in the day when dew or condensation are likely to form or when snow or rain are threatening

•allow four hours before recoating.

The catch is "drying times listed may vary depending on temperatures, humidity, color and air movement."

I painted the pieces and set them on saw horses to dry in the garage (with the garage door open) and expected to do additional coats the next day. It was too windy to paint outside. The problem became apparent the next day. The pieces were still tacky, too tacky to touch up. I waited one more day with the same outcome. Now you might say, Houston has a humid climate and exterior paint might take longer to dry except we hadn't had any rain for weeks and the breezes had been blowing dry and temperatures were in the 70s.

It has been 11 days since painting the chair. It remains tacky but we went ahead and did the necessary sanding and then assembled the chair. I touched it up today. There were many places where the primer bled through and the entire chair required a second coat. Today, after completely painting the chair I placed it inside in a room where the dogs don't go, with a ceiling fan circulating air above the chair. The air conditioning is also gently blowing into the room.  With luck it will be dry in another week.

One gallon is supposed to cover 400 to 450 square feet so I'm estimating that one quart should cover 100 square feet. It covered two large Adirondack chairs (no foot rests) with an inch left over in the can. This is not one-coat paint; it actually required multiple coats to cover the primer. IF I were to use this again I'd tint the primer first, but I won't. The paint dripped no matter what I did to prevent that. Even after cleaning up the edges some paint would find a way to run down the side. (That is so annoying!) This exterior paint is available in satin, semi-gloss and flat finishes and an infinite number of colors.

I've painted other chairs and outdoor furniture in the past. I've used Olympic stains with satisfaction but this is the first I've used Olympic's Exterior Latex Satin paint. I've painted two chairs with this one quart-sized can. The first chair painted several weeks ago took forever to dry but I thought that was due to temperatures being in the low 60s.  The second chair seems to be completed except for drying enough to trust sitting in the chair, especially if you're wearing something nice.

While the color is nice, the quality of the paint and the drying time were disappointments. I generally don't stray far from Valspar paints and my guess is this experience taught a lesson. What are you going to paint? If you live in the arid west this Olympic paint might work, but if there is humidity above 10 percent, consider something else.

BEHR MARQUEE Paint. 1-gal. #PPU4-17 Olympic Bronze Satin Enamel Exterior Paint 945301

Shop for Paint at The Home Depot. MARQUEE Satin Enamel Exterior is a stain-blocking paint and primer that features the most advanced dirt and fade res...
Home Depot

BEHR MARQUEE Paint. 5-gal. #PPU4-17 Olympic Bronze Satin Enamel Exterior Paint 945305

Shop for Paint at The Home Depot. BEHR MARQUEE Satin Enamel Exterior is a stain-blocking paint and primer that features the most advanced dirt and fad...
Home Depot

Title Stock Satin Robe (full Length) Olympic Fighting Sports Combat Martial Arts

Description:Full 100% satin styling with professionally tailored seams and craftsmanship Complete with pockets, belt and hood Sleeves are cut 3/4 leng...

BEHR Premium Plus Ultra Paint. 1-Gal. #UL150-17 Olympic Bronze Satin Enamel Exterior Paint 985301

Shop for Paint at The Home Depot. BEHR PREMIUM PLUS ULTRA Exterior Paint and Primer in One, featuring NANOGUARD Technology, provides an extra protecti...
Home Depot

BEHR Premium Plus Ultra Paint. 1-Gal. #UL150-17 Olympic Bronze Interior Satin Enamel Paint 775301

Shop for Paint at The Home Depot. Behr Premium Plus Ultra Interior is a Low VOC, Paint and Primer in one that saves time and gives you superior covera...
Home Depot

BEHR Premium Plus Ultra Paint. 1-Gal. #PPU4-17 Olympic Bronze Satin Enamel Interior Paint 775301

Shop for Paint at The Home Depot. BEHR Premium Plus Ultra Interior Paint and Primer in One will change the way you paint and save you time. This perfo...
Home Depot

BEHR Premium Plus Ultra Paint. 1-gal. #PPU4-17 Olympic Bronze Satin Enamel Exterior Paint 985301

Shop for Paint at The Home Depot. BEHR Premium Plus Ultra Exterior Paint and Primer in One will change the way you paint and save you time. This excit...
Home Depot

BEHR Premium Plus Ultra Paint. 5-gal. #PPU4-17 Olympic Bronze Satin Enamel Exterior Paint 985305

Olympic Waterguard Multi- Surface Waterproofing Clear Sealant

Olympic Waterguard Multi- Surface Waterproofing Clear Sealant

OLYMPIC WATERGUARD MULTI-SURFACE SEALANT. Gallon. Penetrates and protects against water damage. Seals out water to reduce cracking and splitting. Mild...