Omni San Antonio Hotel

Plush, great Service, and Great Time

Oct 26, 2010

Pros:Service and Room comfort

Cons:Charge for Wi Fi and Business use

The Bottom Line: For a great time in San Antonio, please consider the Omni.

Needing a get away for our anniversary, my wife and I decided to stay at the Omni San Antonio located on the northwest side of the Alamo city. We were not disappointed.

Using the Omni loyality membership, we secured a very good rate with our advanced reservation. It appears this was about half of the rack rate.

Check in was done online so when I arrived at the hotel, I just picked up my room keys and was on my way. It does not get any simpler than that.

We arrived in our room which was exactly as ordered, one kins size bed, a work desk, and a sofa. The room was clean and ready to go. The tiled bath had a number of little touches such as shampoo, a shower cap and mouthwash. Countertops were made of marble just to give an added feeling of class. The shower was one of those one handle things which I do not really care for, but this one was pretty nice. The room also had a 40 inch flat screen television but the programing was not HD. The work desk has several electrical outlets on the side for a computer, phone charger and whatever else you might need.

One of the selling points of this Omni is the view, and here again, we were not disappointed. Depending on the room, one gets a view of downtown San Antonio or the hill country. We got the hill country view out of very large (for a hotel/motel) window. Most of the time we were in the room, we kept the curtain open so we could enjoy the hills as we come from a very flat part of Texas.

The first evening, we came back from supper and found that housekeeping had turned town the beds. This is standard in Omni hotels. What we noticed was that there was a stain on the sheet and blood on the comforter (what use to be called bedspreads). We called housekeeping and they sent two ladies to change the sheet and comforter. They were very apologetic for the problem. The next evening when we returned to the room after dinner, we found a letter of apology from one of the managers and a small cheese and cracker plate as a token of their apology. Once again, this was unexpected.

Checkout also was easy as it was done on the televisions set.

An upscale restaurant and a piano bar are two features of the Omni. We did not try the restaurant as we chose to eat at several of San Antonio's many fine restaurants. There is a book in the lobby with an extensive list and menus. The piano bar was nice as we came back from dinner and enjoyed the music and watching baseball and football on the three flat screen television sets. One thing, I should have stuck with piano lessons, as the player worked half an hour and then took another half hour break.

Also in the lobby is a business center with computer and fax. However, unlike some mid priced motels, they charge you for the use of either. Wi-fi is available in all the rooms at $9.95 a day, but if you belong to the loyalty club, it is free. It does not cost to sign up for their club. Wi-fi in the lobby is free.

Another feature of the hotel is their fitness center. It is located next to the indoor pool. I find it well equipped with running and strength devices. There is also the indoor and outdoor pool as well as a hot tub and sauna. If you have time, there is also a masseur.

Overall impressions was this is a four star hotel for business or pleasure. The staff is very friendly and accommodating.