Omni San Diego Hotel

Awesome Stay at the San Diego Omni

Aug 24, 2005 (Updated Aug 24, 2005)

Pros:Lovely rooms, great service, McCormick & Schmick restaurant

Cons:Only the price, and it's not too bad for what you get

The Bottom Line: The Omni San Diego is a beautifully appointed hotel, with spacious contemporary rooms, nice service and terrific amenities. It's well worth a visit.

I recently stayed at the Omni San Diego Hotel and had a very pleasant experience.

First, the reservations agent located at the hotel was delightful over the phone. I explained my desire for a top room at the lowest rate available. I had special requests (non-smoking, high floor, away from the elevator). I thought I was asking for a lot, but the agent didn't agree and met all of my requests.

Upon check-in, the front desk folks were cheerful, helpful and ready to please. They called us by name (as soon as they knew it) and told us we were getting one of their best rooms, wishing us an enjoyable stay. They definitely had the "pleasure-chip" implanted in their heads. (You know...when everything is "their pleasure")

The lobby was bright and contemporary, with lots of glass and plenty of couches and chairs for seating. There were also areas where you could sit in comfortable chairs in an almost-private space, perfect for a little business conversation or a pleasure chat. The floral arrangements were also contemporary and, well, fun!

The elevators were nice because there were enough of them! With a 21-floor hotel it can sometimes be a long wait to go up or down, but the Omni had four elevators that moved right along.

The floors were decorated with soft shades of green, beige and cream, very tasteful and soothing. The paint, carpet and light fixtures, as well as the hallway furnishings were in great shape.

We lucked out on the room! We stayed in a large corner room with a view of the San Diego Bay and the the Gaslamp Quarter, an area of San Diego that is filled with fun and unique shops and restaurants of every scope. The buildings are mostly old Victorian; it's a treat to walk around and window shop or eat in one of the excellent restaurants.

The room was uniquely decorated. The woods were a medium color and the headboard was high and made of wood. There was a comfortable chair, desk and work chair. The carpet was pale green, very pretty, and had a fun texture to it. The bathroom was very cool...louvered wood blinds separated the bathroom from the sleeping area and also were the sliding doors that closed the bathroom. Not the most private of materials, but still very neat. The bathroom was huge with floor to ceiling shelves on the walls on either side of the sink for towels and personal items. My only complaint was their wasn't much room for your own items as there were lots of towels available. The fixtures were high-grade Kohler fixtures. The water pressure and temperature were great!

The only thing I didn't care for in the room was the motion sensor on the closet door. It was a little unnerving to be unpacking your things and have the light go on and off all the time, but that was a very small issue.
Other in-room amenities include:
*Balcony
*Windows that open!
*Bathrobes
*In Room Movies

The meeting rooms (which I peaked into) were very large, with high ceilings. Although there were no windows, the lighting was good and the area outside the meeting rooms was spacious. The conference my husband was attending had several tables and things outside the rooms and there was still plenty of room for folks to congregate on breaks.

Hotel amenities included
*Swimming Pool - Outdoor and Indoor
*Self Parking
*Secretarial Services
*Room Service (didn't use)
*Restaurant / Cafe (McCormick and Schmicks...great breakfast!)
*Porters
*Photocopy service in the business center (for a charge)
*Fax
*Pets Allowed (although I didn't see any)
*Lounge / Bar / Nightclub
*Exercise Room (nice equipment, pretty heavily used)
*Laundry/Valet Services (didn't use)
*Fire Alarm with Light
*Concierge (didn't think they were that great, but they did try)
*Baby /Child Care
* A Get Fit Kit available from the front desk. It allows guests to work out in the privacy of their own room. You get a floor mat, two dumbbells and elastic bands; a nice touch if you're like me and don't like to use an fitness room with a bunch of other people (although I confess I didn't use the Get Fit Kit either)

Aside from the concierge being a bit slow off the snap, the hotel staff were all very nice and eager-to-please. A late checkout was made available to us without any fuss. The bellmen and porters were friendly and knew quite a bit about the area, offering tips and suggestions for things to do. As I was accompanying my husband on a business trip, I didn't do too much (also we had just returned from a long vacation in San Diego where we did the whole Zoo/Seaworld bit), but the U.S.S. Midway and an interesting Maritime Museum are all within easy walking distance. There is also an upscale mall in the Gaslamp Quarter and the Children's Museum is just a few blocks away, so there is something for everyone near this hotel

FINAL WORD
The Omni San Diego hotel is a classy place. It is beautifully appointed both in the common spaces and in the rooms. The rooms are large, spacious and bright, with a clean, contemporary feel. The bathrooms are unique and very attractive. This hotel is definitely a place to stay.