Bayer Health Care One-A-Day Weight Smart Dietary Supplement Tablets 100 Each

One A Day WeightSmart Helps With Weight Loss But May Cause Other Problems

May 27, 2003 (Updated Jun 20, 2003)

Pros:Ephedra free, complete multivitamin plus weight loss capabilities

Cons:Causing me to have nightmares; potential health hazards for some people

The Bottom Line: Excellent multi-vitamin/mineral product with extras that enhance metabolism and help you lose weight. It is probably fine for most people, but please read packaging and use with caution.

One A Day WeightSmart is a very promising vitamin/mineral product that has the extra benefit of speeding up metabolism due to green tea extract, and certain B vitamins. Fortunately it is also Ephedra Free. It does have 100% of all the essential vitamins and minerals you need to ingest each day.

The manufacturers note that when it is used as part of a healthy lifestyle that includes a balanced diet and exercise, One-A-Day WeightSmart is a safe way to supplement the effort you are making to better control your weight.

Packaging:

The vitamins come in a turquoise box (of 50 caplets) with a child proof container. They are green, just under an inch long, rather thick. If you have problems swallowing largish pills they may be problematic for you. If not, it shouldn't be a problem.

Product claims:

* Promotes Metabolism - EGCG (Green Tea Extract), Chromium, Niacin, Thiamin.

* Immune Health - Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Zinc, Iron.

* Cell Protection - Selenium, Vitamin C, Vitamin E.

* Converts Food to Fuel - Riboflavin, Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, Vitamin B6.

* Healthy Heart - Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin C, Vitamin E.

Ingredients:
Calcium Carbonate, Cellulose, Magnesium Oxide, Green Tea Extract, Ascorbic Acid, Ferrous Fumarate, Acacia, Dl Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Niacinamide, Croscarmellose Sodium, Zinc Oxide, Dextrin, D-Calcium Panthothenate, Dicalcium Phosophate, Caffeine Powder, Silicon Dioxide, Hypromellose, Magnesium Stearate, Titanium Dioxide, Gelatin, Corn Starch, Crospovidone, Glucose, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Silicate, Cupric Sulfate, Polyethylene Glycol, Pyridoxine, Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Dextrose, Thiamine Mononitrate, Lecithin, Beta Carotene, Chromium Chloride, Resin, FD&C Blue # 1 Lake, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenate, Phytonadione, Tricalcium Phosphate, Cholecalciferol, Cyanocobalamin

Manufacturer's Directions:

Take one daily along with food.

Product warnings:
Accidental overdose of iron-containing products is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children under 6. In case of accidental overdose, call a doctor or Poison Control Center immediately. If pregnant or breast-feeding, ask a health professional before use

My experience:

As some of you are aware (insert moans and groans, and feel free to roll your eyes) I have been exercising (walking and aquajogging for the last 10 or so months), for fitness, and to lose some weight. So far I have lost about fifteen pounds, and would like to lose another ten or twelve. Yes, I have seen results, and the remainder of the weight I'd like to lose is for vanity I guess, and to look and feel the best I can. I read some of the reviews on this product by Donnie013, Mrsfitts, and bonniesayers, and I was very impressed. What better way to get the vitamins I need, and also help along my weight loss program. So, I purchased the package for under $9.00 online, and was very excited. I have been taking them for a couple of weeks now. I do want to caution you to follow their directions. When I accidentally took one of the vitamins before eating breakfast instead of the other way around, I did feel sick to my stomach, so be sure to eat first!

After I'd taken these pills for about three days, I started having nightmares, and thought it was a coincidence. When it continued almost every night, without anything unusual going on in my life, I tried to think what could be causing the problem. I am only taking Advil as needed, or half a Darvocet for back pain, and have done both for a considerable amount of time without problems. At that point I looked again at the ingredients, and decided to do some brief research on the side effects of chromium. This is what I found:

Possible side effects of Chromium:

Chromium is an essential mineral found in many foods. Some people believe that synthetic chromium supplements such as chromium picolinate and GTF chromium can help the body handle sugar and fat. Using chromium supplements over a short period of time is not usually linked to side effects. But studies have noted occasional reports of irregular heartbeats with its use.

Infrequently, chromium has been reported to cause changes in sleep patterns, such as insomnia and increased dream activity. Irritability is another reported side effect of chromium therapy.

Since chromium supplements may change the way your body handles sugar, talk to a doctor before using them if you have diabetes or use insulin

(from drugstore.com-pharmacy)

Additional information on possible side effects of chromium:

As I am not a doctor or a nurse this is strictly a summation of brief research on the internet:

They stated Chromium can cause contact dermatitis in some people. It can also effect blood sugar levels, cholesterol levels and blood pressure. It can also possibly cause problems for those with mild or moderate depression, or psychiatric problems.

Final thoughts and recommendations:

One A Day is certainly a very well respected product, and I am certain these vitamins are excellent for the majority of people, and it will help your weight loss efforts. At least I find I am less hungry, am filled up faster and have lost a few pounds. However, I was very naive about Phen Fen in the past, so don't want to write a review on a product containing chromium without at least suggesting you read the ingredients, and ensure that it won't be problematic for you. I do feel it works, and it does provide 100% of your daily vitamin and mineral needs. I am going to finish up the bottle and see how much benefit I can get out of it, and deal with the nightmares for that brief period of time. After that I shall return to my usual Women's vitamins. I am, with reservations, giving this product 4 stars. If you have any of the above listed physical problems, and/or deal with depression, take anti-depressant, anti-anxiety pills or the like, please consult your doctor first to ensure he/she is comfortable with you taking this product.

Update:

I did stop taking these vitamins about halfway through the bottle. I hated throwing away the money, but couldn't deal with the nightmares.

Thanks for reading!

Suzi

Bayer Healthcare - Phillips' Colon Health Probiotic Caps - 30 Capsules

Bayer Healthcare - Phillips' Colon Health Probiotic Caps - 30 Capsules

Bayer Healthcare Phillips' Colon Health Probiotic Caps - 30 Capsules Phillips' Colon Health Probiotic Capsules contains 3 probiotic strains that work ...
LuckyVitamin.com

Bayer Healthcare - One A Day Women's Formula - 60 Tablets

Bayer Healthcare - One A Day Women's Formula - 60 Tablets

Bayer Healthcare One A Day Women's Formula - 60 Tablets Bayer's One A Day Women's Formula is a complete multivitamin designed specifically for leading...
LuckyVitamin.com

Bayer HealthCare One A Day Women's 200 Tablets

Bayer HealthCare One A Day Women's 200 Tablets

Promotes Bone Strength And Heart Function & Supports Breast And Skin Health*
BodyBuilding.com
Bayer Calcium With D Supplement Citracal® Max 315 Mg Calcium / 250 Mg Vi

Bayer Calcium With D Supplement Citracal® Max 315 Mg Calcium / 250 Mg Vi

SKU: MON11592700 ITEM TITLE Bayer Calcium with D Supplement Citracal reg; Max 315 mg Calcium / 250 mg Vi Brand: Bayer Condition: New Sold By: Per Bott...