Oneida Premier Flatware Westbrook Reviews

Oneida Premier Flatware Westbrook

Eating in Style with Oneida Premier Flatware

Feb 18, 2004 (Updated Mar 14, 2011)

Pros:Beautiful, stylish, good weight and balance, easy to clean, dishwasher safe, comfortable to use

Cons:Individual pieces are expensive, no steak knives. Small children may have difficulty holding oversized pieces.

The Bottom Line: Oneida Premier is more expensive than the cheaper Oneida Community Stainless or Oneidaware. However, you are paying for quality and long-lasting tableware when you purchase Oneida Premier.

What do you call your forks, spoons, and knives? Silverware, flatware, dinnerware, cutlery or eating utensils? Whatever the name, my parents needed new forks, spoons and knives. My mother loves Oneida and has purchased Oneida flatware for as long as I can remember. Her old Oneida flatware was showing signs of age. She had even stopped putting the old flatware in the dishwasher to help extend its life. It was time to purchase new eating utensils.

Since I was doing the gift buying, I showed my mother the Betty Crocker catalog that she enjoys purchasing from. The Betty Crocker catalog lists many Oneida flatware patterns, more patterns that I could hope to find in local stores. They also sell Oneida Premier stainless steel flatware.

Oneida Premier

Like eggs, maple syrup or beef, there are “grades” of stainless steel flatware. I decided to treat my parents to a high grade of Oneida -- their Premier line. This line of eating utensils is designed by Oneida exclusively for Betty Crocker. The flatware is made from 18/10 stainless steel and is designed in an oversized European style. It is also dishwasher safe.

The Betty Crocker catalog offers five pattern choices in the Premier stainless steel line. My mother decided she liked the Westbrook design, which is the simplest of the five patterns. The flatware handles are stylish in a triangular design that is broad at the end and flat. Toward the narrower neck of the flatware are two delicate raised bands. The Westbrook flatware is beautiful with a lovely mirror shine. And being in the oversized European style, the flatware has a nice weight to it without being too heavy.

What is 18/10 Stainless Steel?

Numbers like 18/10 don’t mean much to me. So I did some research. The numbers 18/10 refer to the amount of chromium to nickel in the stainless steel alloy.

Chromium allows the stainless steel to form an invisible layer of oxide to protect the stainless steel from corrosion. The number 18 refers to 18% chromium. A minimum amount of 10.5% chromium must be present to form stainless steel, so 18% provides even greater protection against corrosion.

Nickel not only helps prevent corrosion, it increases the hardness and temperature resistence of stainless steel, and also adds a shiny appearance. The number 10 in 18/10 refers to the nickel content. In stainless steel, 10% nickel is the highest content available and thus “top of the line”.

There are three grades of stainless steel available. 18/0 is less expensive but has no nickel in the stainless steel mix. 18/8 is similar to the grade 18/10. However, 18/10 is the highest grade of stainless steel available. All three grades are dishwasher safe.

Service for 12

My mother has discovered that it is best to purchase flatware for 12 (rather than 8). That way, when company arrives, there are no mismatched utensils on the table. Purchasing a service for 12 from the Betty Crocker catalog offered dividends, too. Extra pieces were included as a Bonus-Buy in the set.

The Service for 12 includes:

* Twelve 5-piece place settings
(dinner forks, dinner knifes, teaspoons, salad forks, soup/dessert spoons)
* 3-piece serving set
(gravy ladle, dessert server, large serving spoon)
* 3-piece buffet set
(pierced serving spoon, cold meat fork, serving tablespoon)
* 12 tall drink spoons

Comparing Sets & Costs

The Betty Crocker catalog offers three pricing tiers. The highest price is what it cost to purchase an item with no Betty Crocker points. The second price is 10% lower, but you have to provide 25 Betty Crocker points per order. The third (and least expensive) cost is 25% off the highest price and requires more Betty Crocker points -- the amount of points needed varies with the cost of the item. If you are not familiar with the Betty Crocker catalog and using their points, please read my Epinions article about it. I discuss purchasing from the Betty Crocker catalog in detail.

I paid $269.99 and 250 Betty Crocker points for the Oneida Premier 12-service flatware. The highest price, without using Betty Crocker points, is $359.99. Betty Crocker says this set’s suggested retail is $1140.

In case you are wondering how the different Premier place setting packages are priced, here are some comparisons:

The first price is without using Betty Crocker points. The middle price uses money and 25 Betty Crocker points. The last price is the best price and uses money in addition to Betty Crocker points.

Service for One -- $26.99 / $24.29 / $20.24
(dinner fork, dinner knife, teaspoon, salad fork, soup/dessert spoon)

Service for Four -- $99.99 / $89.99 / $74.99
(dinner forks, dinner knifes, teaspoons, salad forks, soup/dessert spoons)

Service for Eight -- $279.99 / $251.99 / $209.99
(dinner forks, dinner knifes, teaspoons, salad forks, soup/dessert spoons & 2 serving tablespoons & 8 additional teaspoons)

Service for Twelve -- $359.99 / $323.99 / $269.99
(dinner forks, dinner knifes, teaspoons, salad forks, soup/dessert spoons, gravy ladle, dessert server, large serving spoon, pierced serving spoon, cold meat fork, serving tablespoon, 12 tall drink spoons)

Purchasing individual pieces varies in price. For instance, the tall drink spoons sell for $9.99 (lowest price $7.49) each! The 3-piece Serving Set is $39.99 (lowest price $29.99), and the 3-piece Buffet Set is also $39.99 (lowest price $29.99).

Here are some measurements in case you are wondering about individual sizes:

Dinner Fork – 8 1/4" long x fork head is 1" wide
Salad Fork – 7 1/4" long x fork head is 15/16" wide
Dinner Knife – 9 1/2" long x widest part of knife blade 3/4" wide
Teaspoon – 6 1/2” long x spoon head 1 1/4" wide
Soup/Dessert Spoon – 7 1/8" long x spoon head 1 5/8" wide
Tall Drink Spoon – 7 1/2" long x spoon head 1 1/8" wide

Ordering the Flatware & Receiving It

I purchased the Oneida Premier flatware from Betty Crocker’s online store. Thankfully I had a reduced shipping coupon. No matter what I ordered, the shipping cost would be $1.99. Otherwise I would have had to pay $28.00 for Standard Shipping.

The flatware arrived in a heavy-duty rectangular cardboard box. And the box was heavy! Inside the box, each piece of flatware was individually wrapped in its own clear-plastic sleeve. The flatware was very well packaged to avoid any damage to the pieces. The hardest part was washing the 78 pieces. My mother is leery of machine washing her new flatware, so we hand washed it all.

My Impressions

This was a good purchase. We’ve been using this flatware for two months, and it looks as if it was just bought. Our old Oneida flatware was a less expensive set, which was much lighter and more cheaply made. We really notice the difference after using the Oneida Premier flatware. The Premier pieces are beautiful, fit well in the hand, are balanced and easy to use.

The dinner fork has four tines and the tines are long. The salad fork is the size of our old Oneida dinner fork and also has four tines. The spoons are nicely shaped. The dinner knife is large with a fine serrated edge. The blade is not in an oval shape like our old tableware. Instead, the top of the knife blade is even with the handle edge. But the bottom of the knife blade extends a bit beyond the handle edge. It’s a wider blade than our old knives, and we like it.

We had company over the weekend, and the tableware was admired. My mother felt good setting a beautiful table, too.

If I had one thing to complain about, it is how expensive the individual pieces are to purchase. My mother would like to buy 12 more teaspoons. At the least expensive price (using Betty Crocker points), it would cost $89.88 plus shipping! My father wanted matching steak knives, but Betty Crocker does not offer steak knives for the Premier line.

I’ve never had to test Oneida’s warranty, and I’ve had trouble locating the exact details of the warranty. No warranty card came with the flatware. The Betty Crocker literature says, “Backed by Oneida’s lifetime warranty against manufacturer’s defects and Betty Crocker’s 100% satisfaction guarantee.”

Summary

This purchase has been worth the money, and I would purchase the Oneida Premier line again. If you don’t want to pay exorbitant shipping fees, sign up to receive the printed version of the Betty Crocker catalog. Occasionally the print catalogs offer shipping savings that you won’t find at the online site. We’re eating in style and loving it!

UPDATE -- March 14, 2011

I thought you would like to know that we are still using this flatware, and it looks almost like new.  It is holding up really well.  We hand wash the pieces, which is working well for us.

I hope you found this review useful.

Enjoy your day,
Dawn

Please read my other reviews:

Betty Crocker Catalog