Onkyo UP-A1 Docking Station for the iPod

Some features work, some don't. Buy with caution.

Dec 26, 2010

Pros:Sleek, universally adjustable, allows video and on-screen menus with some ipods and receivers.

Cons:EXPENSIVE.  On screen display is cumbersome; DOES NOT SUPPORT VIDEO ON ALL STATED iPODS

The Bottom Line: For so much money, the UP-A1 should offer better functionality.  Audio is good but video and on screen menu support are limited, and inconvenient even when functioning.

If you're looking for a dock that will play audio from your iPod through your universal-port-equipped Onkyo receiver, this is the way to go.  If you're looking for video support, buy with caution.

Overall, it's sleek, universally-adjustable and the piano black looks great.  There is a clever dial that screws in and out to allow it the dock to support iPods of any thickness.

My 5th generation nano and 1st generation Touch both charge as they're supposed to.

Audio sounds amazing.  I am very pleased with the audio output from both iPods.

Furthermore, the song, artist, album and playlist menus are visible on my TV screen, which is connected via an HDMI cable to my Onkyo receiver.

I am glad that my on screen menus work, because I understand that I am in the minority on this.  Here is where this dock starts to unravel.

If you're the trusting sort that takes Onkyo at their word that this dock will provide simple and seamless video support to all the models listed, you will come away stinging with bitter disappointment.

Only a few receivers support on screen menus.

Playback of video and photos is supported on some iPods, but not on others.  For example, video functionality works very well with my first gen Touch.  On screen display works for selecting songs, playlists, artists, albums and genres, and videos play with ease using the remote control.

My fifth generation Nano, on the other hand, supports on screen song selection but not video or photo.  When attempting to play back video, it produces a flickering screen alternating black and blue, with audio playing correctly.

Apparently, Onkyo is aware of this issue, but has not created a fix yet.

The other issue I have with this dock is the cumbersome on-screen menus associated with song selection.  While I suppose I should be grateful to have on-screen display at all, it would be nice to have better navigation.  There is no way to skip ahead alphabetically.  There is no way to skip pages at a time. If you want to listen to a particular song, you must scroll through your entire collection one tune at a time to get to it.  When you have 3000 songs on an iPod, this takes a while.

Overall, the dock looks great, but only offers limited functionality.

For the amount Onkyo charges, you should get universal video support and better menu navigation.

Docking Station F5 - docking station

Docking Station F5 - docking station

Motion Docking Station F5 - Docking station - 10Mb LAN - for F5 F5t F5v
PCM

Sherwood - DS-10 iPod Docking Station for A/V Receivers, Home Audio

Sherwood - DS-10 iPod Docking Station for A/V Receivers, Home Audio

Sherwood DS-10 iPod Docking Station for A/V Receivers The Sherwood DS-10 iPod Dock links to iPod touch, iPod classic, iPod Nano (Gen 1, 2 & 3), iPod (...
Adorama

Imode Ipod Player Docking Station Classic Ipod Player Ip9844

Imode Ipod Player Docking Station Classic Ipod Player Ip9844

NEW IN BOX imode iPod Player Docking Station Classic Ipod Player iP9844 Shipping Most items local or international are shipped within 24 hour after pa...

Motion Docking Station F5 - Docking station - LAN Ethernet

Motion Docking Station F5 - Docking station - LAN Ethernet

The black F5 dock is a full-featured desktop docking station.
MacMall
Onkyo Speaker System Wireless Speaker - Black (LSB50)

Onkyo Speaker System Wireless Speaker - Black (LSB50)

Find home theater systems at Target.com! Upgrade to smooth and immersive 3-D sound! If superb sound quality and easy operation are at the top of your ...

Plug-in Car, Ipod Docking Station With 200 Channel Fm Transmitter

Plug-in Car, Ipod Docking Station With 200 Channel Fm Transmitter

PYLE Model: PIFMPK9 Condition: Brand New This iPod FM transmitter is designed to plug into your car's cigarette lighter, so you can charge your iPod a...