Onkyo UP-A1 Docking Station for the iPod

Some features work, some don't. Buy with caution.

Dec 26, 2010

Pros:Sleek, universally adjustable, allows video and on-screen menus with some ipods and receivers.

Cons:EXPENSIVE.  On screen display is cumbersome; DOES NOT SUPPORT VIDEO ON ALL STATED iPODS

The Bottom Line: For so much money, the UP-A1 should offer better functionality.  Audio is good but video and on screen menu support are limited, and inconvenient even when functioning.

If you're looking for a dock that will play audio from your iPod through your universal-port-equipped Onkyo receiver, this is the way to go.  If you're looking for video support, buy with caution.

Overall, it's sleek, universally-adjustable and the piano black looks great.  There is a clever dial that screws in and out to allow it the dock to support iPods of any thickness.

My 5th generation nano and 1st generation Touch both charge as they're supposed to.

Audio sounds amazing.  I am very pleased with the audio output from both iPods.

Furthermore, the song, artist, album and playlist menus are visible on my TV screen, which is connected via an HDMI cable to my Onkyo receiver.

I am glad that my on screen menus work, because I understand that I am in the minority on this.  Here is where this dock starts to unravel.

If you're the trusting sort that takes Onkyo at their word that this dock will provide simple and seamless video support to all the models listed, you will come away stinging with bitter disappointment.

Only a few receivers support on screen menus.

Playback of video and photos is supported on some iPods, but not on others.  For example, video functionality works very well with my first gen Touch.  On screen display works for selecting songs, playlists, artists, albums and genres, and videos play with ease using the remote control.

My fifth generation Nano, on the other hand, supports on screen song selection but not video or photo.  When attempting to play back video, it produces a flickering screen alternating black and blue, with audio playing correctly.

Apparently, Onkyo is aware of this issue, but has not created a fix yet.

The other issue I have with this dock is the cumbersome on-screen menus associated with song selection.  While I suppose I should be grateful to have on-screen display at all, it would be nice to have better navigation.  There is no way to skip ahead alphabetically.  There is no way to skip pages at a time. If you want to listen to a particular song, you must scroll through your entire collection one tune at a time to get to it.  When you have 3000 songs on an iPod, this takes a while.

Overall, the dock looks great, but only offers limited functionality.

For the amount Onkyo charges, you should get universal video support and better menu navigation.

Docking Station For Ipod Or Ipod Mini. T1010

Docking Station For Ipod Or Ipod Mini. T1010

Brand new!!!! Original retail case!!!!! Never Opened!!!!! Fast shipping!!!! Delivery confirmation!!!!!!Product Description I-Tec iPod Docking Station ...
Supersonic Ipod Docking Station Red

Supersonic Ipod Docking Station Red

This Ipod Docking Station comes with Am/Fm Radio and much more

Orbit Sound System - Docking Station For Your Ipod

Orbit Sound System - Docking Station For Your Ipod

Please read entire listing before purchase - especially the shipping information!!! At home or on the road, fill any room with music!! Turn your iPod ...

Sherwood - DS-10 iPod Docking Station for A/V Receivers, Home Audio

Sherwood - DS-10 iPod Docking Station for A/V Receivers, Home Audio

Sherwood DS-10 iPod Docking Station for A/V Receivers The Sherwood DS-10 iPod Dock links to iPod touch, iPod classic, iPod Nano (Gen 1, 2 & 3), iPod (...
Adorama

Onkyo - CS-255 (Black), Home Stereos, Radios & Players

Onkyo - CS-255 (Black), Home Stereos, Radios & Players

CD Receiver Mini System with Lightning iPod Dock
Sonic Electronix

Sharp Dk-ap2 Music Docking Station Ipod Nano-mini-4th-5th Gen Hi Def White

Sharp Dk-ap2 Music Docking Station Ipod Nano-mini-4th-5th Gen Hi Def White

Sharp DK-AP2 Music System Docking Station For iPod (Nano-Mini-4th-5th Gen) HDSS High Definition Sound Standard WHITE Ultra Modern Spaceship Design On ...

iDeco Speaker & Docking Station Multicolor - CR3011A-MA

iDeco Speaker & Docking Station Multicolor - CR3011A-MA

Shop for Audio Systems, Docks and Speakers from Hayneedle.com! Listen to today's greatest hits while enjoying vintage ambience with the iDeco Speaker ...
Hayneedle