Oregon Scientific WR602 Weather Radio Reviews

Oregon Scientific WR602 Weather Radio

Great if you aren't too too picky.

Feb 28, 2008

Pros:Nice portability

Cons:Bad type of alerting

The Bottom Line: Follow the last paragraph and you will be properly alerted.

The WR-602 is basicly a new version of the old version of Oregon Scientific weather radio because it didn't alert you correctly.
The WR-602 is a weather radio. Before purchasing a radio, be sure to check out these websites.
___________________________________________________________
http://www.weather.gov/nwr/ http://www.weather.gov/nwr/faq.htm http://www.weather.gov/nwr/listcov.htm
___________________________________________________________They will give you information on what the program is and where all of the transmitters are located.

Now to the radio...THIS IS NOT FOR ALL OF YOU STORM CHASERS OUT THERE BECAUSE YOU HAVE BETTER TECHNOLOGY THAN THIS...but this is a GREAT radio for people that live in "Tornado Alley" or where severe weather occurs. The unit is made up of a weather radio, antenna, and the charging dock with the ac/dc adapter. When you get the radio, be sure to connect the battery on the back of the unit. When a SAME tone is sent out, the radio will be activated. There will be one SAME digital burst, and then the 8 second 1050Hz tone. This is a broadcast of the weather radio. If you have it turned on all ready, you will hear the exact same thing. Yesterday during the weekly test, between the tones, I heard Led Zeppelin's "All of My Love". This will give you trouble if you aren't near the transmitter. However, this depends on the wattage and the terrain. I'm saying this because the alert tones could be staticy and not properly alert you. That is why I have a Midland base station and put this one on my belt while I'm down by the pool. After you indicate your county under the simple menu, you will ONLY be alerted for Watches, Warnings, and Advisories for your county. It would be good to keeps this by your bed because the alerts aren't too loud. In the top right corner, there is a flashing green light. When there is a warning, the light will flash a dull red. The green is also dull, but the green doesn't tell you anything because it flashes when there is an advisory and when there isn't. On the left side of the unit is a 3.5mm jack for you to plug in headphones, or to connect a louder speaker. The menus are quite simple. Under them, you set the time, select your county, set the alarm (wake-up alarm), and set the channel. There is a button that, when held in, will switch the unit from home to travel. When it is set to home, it will keep the counties you set. When it is set to travel, it will check for the most clear station to ensure that you get the correct station while traveling. It will be set to all the counties that the transmitter covers. There is also a key lock to ensure that you don't change anything by mistake. There are seven levels of volume with them being pretty quiet. There is a light button on top next to the 1" antenna. This will turn the backlight on for a few seconds if you don't press any buttons. If you press a button, that time will re-count down. Next to the light button is a power button. This switches the unit from alert with sound, to silent alert, to listen to the radio, to not receive alerts. If you hold it in, the unit will turn off, but that would be foolish. It has a hole for a supplied lanyard. I personaly, don't like that option. I use the supplied belt clip holster. However, every once and a while, it will fall out. Be sure to hold it on the way down to the basement. I keep it on the charger by my bed and return it every night if I took it off because of severe weather. The viewing angle is not to good. You must look straight on. When an alert is received, the alert will scroll across the screen. It moves too slow. However, the type of alert will blink in the corner. (Warning, Watch, or Advisory) The battery life is very good, I only loose one of the bars throughout the day if it is on for a lot of time. Don't use it for an alarm. Just use it as a weather alert radio. At the end of the alert, the three quick SAME tones will turn off the audio, and put it back in alert mode.

MAY I SUGGEST: To be fully alerted, you should have two types of radios. The portable is good for when you have to go down to the basement and stay tuned to save your life. However, buy a $30 Midland WR-100 or WR-300. I have the 100 and it has a loud siren that is not broadcast. Therefore, it will alert you if your batteries die. (you could also use AA's)

Oregon Scientific WR602N WR602 Weather Radio with Charge Cradle Stay safe. Stay informed. Stay prepared. Keeps your family informed of civil and weath...