Organix Shampoo Cocunut Milk 13oz Nourishing Reviews

Organix Shampoo Cocunut Milk 13oz Nourishing

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Shampoo: Organic? Don't Be Misled.

Apr 11, 2009

Pros:Nice aroma, lathers well.

Cons:Contains potentially harmful ingredients.

The Bottom Line: Disappointed because I do not expect products alluded to as "organic" to contain harmful ingredients.

In my search for all things organic, I came across Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Shampoo in my local grocery store one afternoon. To my surprise it was on sale for a very reasonable two for $7.00. I figured it was worth a try at that price, noting that it was probably not terribly reasonably priced considering the 13 ounce bottle, but the regular price is right around $7.00 each. I knew it would barely last a week in my house with three females using it but decided to purchase it anyway.

My Impressions

My first impression of this shampoo was the subtle yet refreshing aroma of fresh coconut. It was alluring, enticing, and quite a wonderful scent experience.

The shampoo itself is medium-thick, pours nicely from the bottle, and lathers very well. I have long hair and did not have to use a huge amount to get a decent amount of lather - a plus for me.

Rinsing was not problematic, and I did not find any difficulty in ensuring my hair was completely rinsed of the shampoo.

After using my hair felt very clean and soft. Unfortunately the coconut aroma does not last too long; perhaps it is too subtle. The most enjoyment I received from the coconut aroma was right as I was applying it to my hair.

I did not notice any increased manageability or de-frizziness of my hair when using this shampoo, but it did perform as well or better than many other shampoos I have tried.

Notes

They advise using the Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Shampoo in conjunction with the accompanying conditioner; no big surprise there. Part of this could be to encourage the purchase of other Organix products. I did buy both shampoo and conditioner at the same time and use them together.

The shampoo lasted quite a while, even with three of us using it. My daughters said it was "okay" but they weren't terribly impressed with it.

Will I buy it again? That will depend on my ingredient analysis, which follows. The included information comes from the Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database.

Ingredients:

DI Water (aqua) - purified water that has had the mineral ions removed. No health risks noted that I could find.

Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate - moderate hazard (3).  It is potentially linked to contamination concerns that are associated with cancer among other health risks.

Cocamidopropyl Betaine - moderate hazard (5).  It is potentially linked to contamination concerns that are associated with cancer among other health risks.

Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine - low hazard (0)

Glycol Distearate - low hazard (1)

Dimethicone Copolyol - low hazard (0)

Cetyl Alcohol - low hazard (1)

Cocamide DEA - Moderate hazard (6),  and has been linked to health risks such as cancer.

Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride - low hazard (1)

Polyquaternium-11 - low hazard (0)

Panthenol - low hazard (2)

DMDM Hydantoin - high hazard (7-9).  noting contamination concerns with formaldehyde among other health risks. Formaldehyde has been linked to cancer among other serious health risks.

Silk Amino Complex - low hazard (0)

Coconut Milk - low hazard (0)

Egg White Protein - hazard rating not listed.

Coconut Oil - hazard rating not listed.

Tocopheryl Acetate - moderate hazard (4)

Fragrance - high hazard (8)

Final Thoughts

It is not tested on animals. That's good, because I wouldn't want any animals to experience health risks due to this product.

After analyzing the ingredients, I will not be purchasing this shampoo again. There are other products that do not contain such potentially harmful ingredients

In reviewing the bottle, I note that they only claim that the coconut milk is organic. With a name like Organix, I expected the product to be a truly organic product. Shame on them for being misleading. And shame on me for not reviewing the ingredients prior to making my purchase.

As such, I cannot recommend this shampoo.

Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Shampoo is distributed by Vogue, International. It is made in the USA.

--- Select Brand --- Avent Braun Carlson CHI CHI Air Conair Cytosport Doctor's Best Dr.Scholl's Eclipse Evercare Garden of Life HoMedics Honeywell Inf...