Ortho Bug-Geta Plus Snail, Slug & Insect Killer

Ortho Bug-Geta Snail & Slug Killer..Bring a Bag to the Slugfest!

Jul 17, 2004

Pros:new formula, works fast, very effective, residual killing to 4 weeks

Cons:not safe for pets, can burn skin and eyes

The Bottom Line: Ortho Bug-Geta Snail & Slug Killer is my recommended slug and snail killer of choice.

Ortho Bug-Geta Snail & Slug Killer is helping to rid my gardens of annoying and damaging slimy pests. My purchase of a two pound bag of granules was a wise one and very necessary to combat the pestilence. This outstanding, yet lethal product was highly recommended to me by those in the know.

The Problem
If there's one thing that I really can't stand, it's slimy slow moving creatures that devour and damage my plants and gorgeous flowers. No, not worms or centipedes, but slugs and snails, yuck! Gardeners need all of the help that they can get when it comes to combating nature's hungry insects and pests. Snails and slugs are known gelatinous destroyers that wreck havoc wherever they go.

It's pretty easy to identify whether or not snails and slugs are the villains responsible for eating up the hard work that went into those magnificent gardens. The snails and slugs usually show up after it rains or when my gardens are just watered. Recent downpours of rain created the perfect setting for the little creatures to feast since they love damp and moist areas.

These little slimes generally eat the leaves and flowers of plants like marigolds and geraniums leaving behind leaves that are eaten through and through. Huge ugly, jagged holes are left where beautiful green leaves used to be.

It will be very apparent, upon inspection, that slugs and snails are the destroyers since they leave a slimy residue trail announcing their presence and which helps them to return to eat again. They can easily be seen feasting on the undersides of leaves, as well as clinging tightly to the plant.

The Solution
Well, when I crashed the slimy creatures slugfest recently, I came armed with Ortho Bug-Geta Snail & Slug Killer because it was highly recommended to me by the local gardening center's horticulturist, a knowledgeable woman with whom I have grown to trust.

She warned me to read all of the instructions on the back of the waterproof, easy to pour bag before the initial application since the main ingredient is Metaldehyde, 3.25% made into small slug attracting granules. Ortho Bug-Geta Snail & Slug Killer is lethal to animals and must be used with caution to avoid death of pets.

According to the packaging, Ortho Bug-Geta Snail & Slug Killer has been improved with a new formula that is less toxic to pets.

Directions
The directions are easy to read and follow. This product can be used on the soil of vegetation and fruit plants that are grown to be eaten. It is also great for use on lawns and borders as well as on flower beds.

The specific plants and vegetation that can be effectively treated to kill slugs and snails is prominently displayed on the back of the package in an easy to read grid. I was particularly happy to see this information since I hesitated to use such a powerful treatment on my begonias and and rhododendrons.

To be most effective, it is important to apply Ortho Bug-Geta Snail & Slug Killer on wet soil only and when there is little chance of rain within forty-eight hours. Of course, it is wise to hold off watering the gardens for the same time period in order to get the most out of the killing agents.

Worth mentioning is the other attempts that were made to rid my gardens of these slugs and snails prior to purchasing the highly effective Ortho granules. I had my husband to pick off some of the snails and slugs for his use in fishing as bait. The infestation was too great and we could not keep up with the ratio of slug bait to new slugs.

We also tried using iodized salt to kill the slugs and snails, but again, there were simply too many to kill in this manner. The best and most efficient method is to purchase Ortho Bug-Geta Snail & Slug Killer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Contact Info:
The ORTHO Group
Box 190 Marysville, OH 43040

1.800.225.2883
www.ortho.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Final Thoughts and Recommendations
Within a few hours of the first application, the slugs and snails that threatened to destroy all of my ornamental gardens and vegetable plants were history. It was a shocking sight to see, in fact, when I awoke the next morning after the treatment and did not see any slugs or snails on my plants. Very cool.

The first application was four and a half weeks ago and I had to reapply the granules today. The slugs and snails were back on one specific plant that has enormous leaves and thick red stems. Apparently, the slimers love this foliage. I am confident that by the morning's light, the slugfest will be a distant memory, at least until next month.

I recommend this product for those who like to spread it and forget it. The residual killing action really endures through all types of weather, including rains and wind. It is also a perfect product for those with pets who do not roam freely, however, confining the pets is a simple and worthwhile solution. I own two dogs and a cat who do go outdoors. There have been no signs of illness in any of them since using this winning product.

Scotts Ortho 3 Bug Geta Plus Snail Slug & Insect Killer

Scotts Ortho 3 Bug Geta Plus Snail Slug & Insect Killer

Scotts Ortho 3# Bug Geta Plus Snail Slug Insect Killer Can be used around fruits and vegetables. Attracts and kills snails and slugs PLUS cutworms, ar...

Ortho Pest Control Bug-Geta Plus 3 lb. Snail and Slug Killer 0462510PM

Ortho Pest Control Bug-Geta Plus 3 lb. Snail and Slug Killer 0462510PM

Shop for Outdoors at The Home Depot. The Ortho Bug-Geta Plus 3 lb. Snail, Slug and Insect Killer comes in a waterproof container that is easy to pour ...
Home Depot

Ortho 3lb Beg Geta Plus Snail Slug Insect Killer

Ortho 3lb Beg Geta Plus Snail Slug Insect Killer

BUG-GETA PLUS ORTHO 3LB BOTTLE FACTORY SEALED NEW GREAT SALE PRICE!!! Kills slugs, snails, ants, cutworms, armyworms, earwigs, sowbugs and other insec...

Bug-Geta Plus Snail, Slug, And Insect Granules By The Scotts Co.

Bug-Geta Plus Snail, Slug, And Insect Granules By The Scotts Co.

3Lb Bug Geta Granules: Snail & Slug Control Bug Geta
Scotts Ortho Bug Geta Snail Slug Killer Box 8.5-pound 8.5 lbs.

Scotts Ortho Bug Geta Snail Slug Killer Box 8.5-pound 8.5 lbs.

Longer lasting. All weather formula is effective for 3-4 weeks.

Scotts Ortho 4.25 Bug Geta Snail & Slug Killer Box

Scotts Ortho 4.25 Bug Geta Snail & Slug Killer Box

Scotts Ortho 4.25# Bug Geta Snail Slug Killer Box For use around listed fruits and vegetables. Easy-to-use, clean and economical pellets. Attracts and...

ORTHO BUG-GETA SNAIL AND SLUG KILLER -Mfg# 0465010 - Sold As 2 Units

ORTHO BUG-GETA SNAIL AND SLUG KILLER -Mfg# 0465010 - Sold As 2 Units

4.25 lb.. Covers 17 600 sq. ft.. Longer lasting. The all weather formula is effective up to 3 to 4 weeks. Protects valuable landscape plants from snai...
Ortho 0464060 2 Lb Bug Geta Snail Slug Killer Granules

Ortho 0464060 2 Lb Bug Geta Snail Slug Killer Granules

Ortho Bug Geta snail and slug killer is a granule formulation. This product attracts and kills snails and slugs, protecting garden plants from damage....

Ortho 0465110 Bug Geta Snail And Slug Killer Box 8.5-pound

Ortho 0465110 Bug Geta Snail And Slug Killer Box 8.5-pound

NEW Ortho 0465110 Bug Geta Snail and Slug Killer Box 8.5-Pound $23.34 $31.95 This snail and slug killer is for use around fruits and vegetables. Easy-...