Ortho Rose & Flower Insect Killer Reviews

Ortho Rose & Flower Insect Killer

Protect your Roses with Ortho Rose and Flower Insect Killer Spray!!

Apr 1, 2002

Pros:Gets rid of several kinds of insects that may infect your Roses.

Cons:Nothing.

The Bottom Line: Ortho Rose and Flower Insect Killer Spray does a great job for removing any insect infestation on Roses, and is not harmful to Rose buds, leaves or branches.

Two years ago on Mother's Day my daughter and son gave me 2 Rose Bushes. I told my children that I didn't want any houseplants or flowers, but would love a few Rose Bushes to plant outdoors. One was a yellow Rose and the other was a deep red Rose bush. Don't remember what the yellow one was called, but the red Rose was called Washington. The weather was really nice and warm at that time, so off I went and planted my 2 Rose bushes on the side of my house in a nice sunny area.

Now the first year I had no problems and quite a few showy Roses from both bushes. But last year was a different story. I noticed that on the Washington Rose bush, several of the buds were bending over near the top of their stems and dying before they opened. I knew then that I might have a problem. Not really knowing what to do, I decided to ask my neighbor Gary that lives in the back of me. He has several rose bushes growing along side of his fence. He came over and checked my Rose bush all over. He said that my problem was Thrips. "Thrips" I said, what are they? He said that Thrips are very small microscopic bugs that attack leaves and buds leaving the latter with bumpy brown outer petals. He suggested that I buy an Insecticide spray for Roses. That evening I went to our Wal-Mart store and purchased this Ortho Rose and Flower Insect Killer spray.

It comes in a trigger 24 ounce spray bottle. This was great because I didn't have to do any mixing of any chemicals.

How to apply:

1)--Before applying the spray always remove any of the infected canes and buds from your rose bush. I also placed a plastic bag under the bush, and then cut away the diseased parts and wrapped them up in the plastic bag and threw the bag in the garbage, away from my other Rose bush.

2--After I shook the bottle well, I adjusted the nozzle and sprayed. I liked the way it delivered a nice fine spray.

2)--By holding the sprayer about 12 inches from my Rose bush, I just sprayed the upper and lower leaf surfaces, stems and branches. I also sprayed the soil around the bush too. This Ortho Rose and Flower Insect Spray will protect your Rose bush up to 2 weeks. I also applied a second application that month, which finally did get rid of my nasty Thrips. By the end of that month, I did have a few more buds that did flower.

When to apply:

1)--It's best to spray either early in the morning or late afternoon when it's cooler especially if the temperatures exceeds 85 degrees.

2)--In some instances it may take 2 to 3 applications for some hard to kill insects. Always wait at least 7 to 14 days between each spraying.

3)--Only spray when the air is calm to avoid any drifting of the spray.

Insects that Ortho Rose and Flower Insect Killer Spray will kill:

Caterpillers, beetles, (including Japenese beetles), fungus knats, lacebugs, leafhoppers, leafminers, leafrollers, mealybugs, spider mites, rose midges, scales, spittlebugs, tent caterpillars, thrips, weevils, and other garden insects.

Storage:

1) Always rotate the nozzle to a closed position before storing, and place in a safe place away from children.

2)--Do not store the spray in an area below 25 degrees to avoid freezing. I keep mine in our garage up on a high shelf away from my grand children.

Cautions:

1)--As with any Insecticides, this spray can cause eye and skin irritations. It's best to wear eye protection, gloves and a long sleeved shirt when using any kind of Insecticides.

2)--If you have an ornamental pond with fish, care should be used here also because this spray is extremely toxic to fish.

3)--Keep children and pets away from the area that your applying the spray. After the sprayed area has dried completely, it's then safe for children and pets to enter the area according to the directions on the Spray bottle. I do baby sit my grand children during their summer time vacations. So the few times that I did spray, I wouldn't let my grand children play in the area until the following day. I just felt a little safer that way.

It's really easier to prevent insect infestation then it is to cure it at times. A thorough spraying will offer you your last chance for control of insects that will infect Roses. It can be reduced by a careful spraying every so often

Always choose healthy Roses when your purchasing Roses. Choosing notably healthy Roses is your first line of defense. The second is to maintain good hygiene. Always remove and discard diseased material immediately from around your Rose bush.

Take good care of the soil in which they grow. By applying fertilizer, mulching and water, this will help your Roses grow strongly, be more resistent to diseases, and recover quickly from any pest infestations. They need the sun, food and water.

Last year I learned a lot about growing Roses. So this year with summer approaching us soon, I will carefully be watching both of my Rose bushes for any further insect infestations.

I really don't think my 2 rose bushes are going to be enough to satisfy me. I guess I'll have to start hinting before Mother's day gets here this year for a few more Rose bushes.

I think Roses are the most romantic and most enduring of all garden plants. I love their beauty and there supreme fragrance. And it's nice to be able to have a vase filled with fragrant Roses sitting on my table during the summertime.

I've had great luck with this Ortho Rose and Flower Insect Killer Spray, and I recommend it highly. I found that this Ortho spray is safe to use and will not harm your Rose blooms or their leaves.

Thanks for reading and Happy Spring Planting!!

~~Naomi~~

Ortho Rose & Flower Insect Killer Spray Ready To Use 24oz.

Ortho Rose & Flower Insect Killer Spray Ready To Use 24oz.

Ortho Rose Flower Insect Killer 24oz.Kills 100+ insect fast up to 4 weeks Ready to use For use for indoor/outdoor plants Bottle will be taped and bagg...

Ortho 0345010 24oz Rtu Rose & Flower Insect Killer

Ortho 0345010 24oz Rtu Rose & Flower Insect Killer

New 24 ounce ready to use spray bottle of Scott's Ortho Rose Flower Insect Killer Spray # 0345010 A ready to use (no mixing) effective Rose and Flower...

ORTHO 24-oz Rose and Flower Ready-to-Use Insect Killer 0345020

ORTHO 24-oz Rose and Flower Ready-to-Use Insect Killer 0345020

Kills 100+ listed insects fast. Dual-action killer by contact and systemic.
Lowe's

Ortho 0345020 Rose and Flower Insect Killer, 24-Ounce Outdoor, Home, Garden, Supply, Maintenance

Scotts Ortho 0345020 24 Oz Rose & Flower Insect Killer Spray

Scotts Ortho 0345020 24 Oz Rose & Flower Insect Killer Spray

New 24 oz ready to use spray bottle of Ortho's Rose and Flower Insect Killer Spray # 0345020 Kills over 100 different listed insects on Roses, Flowers...

Ortho Insect Killer Multiple Insects Imidacloprid 4 Lb.

Ortho Insect Killer Multiple Insects Imidacloprid 4 Lb.

Ortho Insect Killer Multiple Insects Imidacloprid 4 lb. ORTHO BUG-B-GONE ROSE AND FLOWER INSECT KILLER PLUS MIRACLE-GRO PLANT FOOD *4 pounds *8 weeks ...

Ortho Bug-b-gon Rose & Flower Insect Killer Plus Miracle-gro

Ortho Bug-b-gon Rose & Flower Insect Killer Plus Miracle-gro

Ortho® Bug-B-Gon® Rose Flower Insect Killer Plus Miracle-Gro® Plant Food Granules feeds your plants to promote strong roots and beautiful blooms, whil...