Oster 6642 12-Speeds Blender Reviews

Oster 6642 12-Speeds Blender

Margaritas, anyone?

Nov 13, 2003

Pros:Attractive design, great for icy drinks, break-resistant, compact size, sharp blades

Cons:Leaks when pouring, unreliable food processor, loud (but what do you expect?)

The Bottom Line: This is a good, sturdy blender that will satisfy your needs, unless those needs involve the work of a true food processor. For the price, you can't beat it.

It was about time I got a new blender. I should have gotten one ages ago, given the unreliable performance of my cheapie plastic blender that I'd owned since college. (It once lived in the trunk of my car for over a year!) However, it was not I who thought to get me a new blender. Instead it was a belated wedding gift from my in-laws. I was absolutely delighted with it. New kitchen appliances always bring a smile to my face. However, whatever joy I felt when receiving it has surely been outdone by the joy I get from using it.

For starters, it is very nice to look at, or so I think. Mine has a sleek and sturdy black base that is square on the bottom with rounded sides. There are 2 white buttons and 6 green buttons on the front of the base, and a green speed control switch. The first white button is the off switch. The second allows you to pulse, going on and off as you wish. The green buttons control the blender speed. When the speed switch is on low, the buttons allow you to (in order) puree, cream, chop, whip, and mix. When the speed switch is on high, you may grate, blend, shred, grind, liquefy, and ice crush. Personally, I think all of the speeds and distinctions are a bit much. I only use a couple of them, because each one is so similar to the next that it is difficult to tell a difference. It is a good blender, though, allowing you to turn margarita mix, tequila, and ice into a delicious frothy creation worthy of any bar in the country, hence the title of this review. It is also great for making milkshakes and smoothies and such.

While I have read some comment that the large glass pitcher that sits atop the base is heavy, I actually enjoy that aspect of it. The thick heavy glass exudes an air of quality. It also survives dishwashing and freezing quite well, and has been knocked over several times and by some miracle of design or luck, has not yet broken. There are measurements on the sides of the pitcher. 2 sides give you measurements in cups (5 cups total), and 2 sides offer measurements in liters (1.25L total). These are convenient for those of us who are too lazy to break out the measuring cups and who frequently take to just "estimating" with tragic results. The handle is large and smooth and well-constructed, contoured to allow an easy grip.

The top of this blender is made of flexible black plastic with a removable small measuring cup in the center for adding an ounce or two. One drawback- if you place the blender pitcher with the lid on in the freezer, it gets very hard and does not cover the top very well any more, but once it warms up it is fine again.

Speaking of drawbacks, I suppose I should let you in on those. Regardless of how hard you screw on the removable bottom of the pitcher, it leaks a little when you pour. Nothing major, just a few drops each time, but it's annoying. Also, I would not recommend the food processor attachment. Maybe I am just spoiled to my big food processor, but this little one does not seem to work very well. Only use it if you want whatever you put in there to end up in a sad mush. Just ask the onions I attempted to chop in it the other day. It may be good for pureeing, I suppose, but that's about it. Don't buy this blender thinking you are getting a real food processor, or you will be disappointed, but the attachment might be better than nothing if you don't have or can't afford the real thing.

All in all, I consider this to be a worthy purchase, despite the fact that I did not actually purchase it myself. The motor is tireless, the blades are sharp (cut myself on one cleaning it the other day, ouch!), and it doesn't take up too much space on your counter top or in your cabinet. As blenders go, I highly recommend it. It sure beats the heck out of the one I had before.

Powered by a 450-watt motor, the Oster 6642 blender is ready for any chopping, cutting, blending or grating application. The 12-speed settings of this...

White. 12 speed push button ''Osterizer'' blender. Glass jar. Revolutionary ice crusher blade. All metal drive system. 5 cup jar. Dishwasher safe/ scr...