Oster 2614 2-Speeds Blender Reviews

Oster 2614 2-Speeds Blender

Great soup, easy cleanup.

Oct 18, 2005

Pros:Does the job, sturdy, easy to clean, attachment seems to be dishwasher safe (upper rack).

Cons:A bit noisy, metal edge of cup might scratch pot, though mine hasn't so far.

The Bottom Line: This is the best hand blender I've been able to find in a reasonable price range. I would certainly recommend it.

I had written another review on my previous hand held blender, a Hamilton Beach 59770 Turbo-Twister 2 Speed.

This is what I bought to replace that one, after my husband put the blending attachment through the dishwasher and it warped and gradually fell apart.

Well, he has already put the attachment for this one through the dishwasher, on the upper rack, and it didn't suffer at all that I can see! I do try to wash it in the sink, in case the dishwasher might stress the plastic end that locks onto the plastic body. The body wipes clean easily, with no dirt-collecting crevices to worry about.

The lower portion of the wand (the business end) is stainless steel, with the cup area a very simple, easy to clean shape, well sealed from the stick. The blade is set well above the edge of the cup, and also above four oval slots cut in the cup, so although the metal edge of the cup could vibrate against the pot or bowl you are using, the blade will never strike against them.

The shape is very smooth and simple, the attachment locks on and off the body easily, and the switch is the squishy moisture proof rubber kind. The body is angled at the top end so that the cord falls over the outside of your hand and stays well up and away from the pot while you're using the blender. I've never had any worries about dipping the cord in the pot.

I mostly use this for pureeing hot soup in the pot. It's much easier, safer and tidier to use this gadget than it is to pour the chunky soup into a blender or food processor to puree it in batches, and then pour it back into the pot or tureen. I can make a relatively rough puree, or a much finer one, by using this blender for longer or shorter amounts of time. I make soup out of leftover cooked vegetables fairly often, and this gadget makes it much easier to get an attractive and even elegant looking soup out of a lot of odd (if tasty) ingredients. And the kids have no idea what is in there, another plus!

It lies flat in a drawer when I'm not using it. The two speeds are all I need, in fact I mainly use the first speed, for greater control and to minimize splattering. I find it not too heavy, and comfortable to hold, with my average healthy 38 year old hand. The whole appliance, with cord, weighs a little over 1.5 pounds by my kitchen scale.

In general, this seems like a well made midrange appliance, sturdy, nothing too tinny or cheap feeling about it. If the switch and motor hold up, it feels like it could last a long time. It is a bit loud, with a buzzing grinding noise similar to a regular blender.

There are no extra attachments, which is fine with me. The Hamilton Beach hand blender had a whisk attachment which I never used, it splashed and was not as useful as an ordinary hand whisk, or an electric hand mixer, both of which I already had.

Handheld Blender, 2 Speed

Oster 2614 2-Speed 250-Watt Hand Blender, White/Silver, Free Shipping, New Details: Manufacturer: Oster Size: Color: White/Silver Item Dimensions: Len...
Handheld Blender, 2 Speed